Water in the diesel!

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ

Reaction score
It's bad enough that I'm paying two arms and one leg for the stuff, but now I got some that had water in it. No dummy light for the water, but have been through 3 filters in 3 mo.s or less.
After sitting all night, runs fine for a few minutes, then starts up. No response with the gas on the floor. Gotta baby it. Then all of a sudden will work just peachy. Replaced filter yesterday and it already started again today. Diamond give me some relief-help. Please....

CowpokeJ":2821ig5i said:
It's bad enough that I'm paying two arms and one leg for the stuff, but now I got some that had water in it. No dummy light for the water, but have been through 3 filters in 3 mo.s or less.
After sitting all night, runs fine for a few minutes, then starts up. No response with the gas on the floor. Gotta baby it. Then all of a sudden will work just peachy. Replaced filter yesterday and it already started again today. Diamond give me some relief-help. Please....
theres 2 things i can think of that you need todo.1 is change the fuel filter.wich youve done.so that leaves 2 drain the fuel tank completely.an start with fresh diesel.or you can try the fuel conditioner.its supposed to remove the water from diesel.

Think it is called Power Plus(?) and I add it to my fuel every time I put some in the tank. Had the same dang problem with water in the fuel I think last year. No more problems since putting in the cetane boost as it also has an additive that gets rid of water in the tank. There are two types, one for summer and another for winter.

J

Cowpoke, you're going to want to drain the tanks on whatever it is thats giving you grief. When you're not running the equipment, you're probably leaving it just long enough that the water is separating out and on restart you're pumping a bunch of water through the system and killing the filters.

You may end up having to do another filter change after draining the tank, but that should be the last. I'd consider doing a filter change when you drain the tank.

Rod

Angus/Brangus":2xqbk9hw said:
Is this on a tractor? If so, there should also be a water separator. Be sure to drain it.

I got water in my Dodge diesel. Went through three filters and pumped out the fuel in the tank. Also, used Seafoam (poured directly into the filter receptacle - then put the filter back in) which helps to clean out the injectors of trash and water.
Where do you get this seafoam? The water, is it on top or bottom of the diesel?

Something I forgot about: Depending on how many miles and how much fuel has went through that system, the switch to low-sulphur diesel had some consequenses for high mileage vehicles, or vehicles that we prone to sitting. Specifically, the low-sulphur diesel pulled some of the built up waxes and residue off the walls of the tanks and the fuel lines. These tended to plug filters rapidly. I went through three sets of fuel filters in 3 days on my 1130 Massey before it all sorted itself out.

Rod

dont overlook the dreaded dead pedal issue. (fialing inj pump electronics)
do you know how to pull your code with the odometer.
key on key off 3 times then leave it on and watch the codes in the odometer slot. youll see done twice if youve got no issues.

diamond will help to explain this maybe.

216 code means youve got injector pump issues. 1689 is not really an isuue but you may see it too. . sometime when you have an elec failure in the inj pump youll get ymptoms much as you describe for quite some time. does it ever not respnod to the pedal when normally drivinhg??

dieselbeef":3isa79m1 said:
dont overlook the dreaded dead pedal issue. (fialing inj pump electronics)
do you know how to pull your code with the odometer.
key on key off 3 times then leave it on and watch the codes in the odometer slot. youll see done twice if youve got no issues.

diamond will help to explain this maybe.

216 code means youve got injector pump issues. 1689 is not really an isuue but you may see it too. . sometime when you have an elec failure in the inj pump youll get ymptoms much as you describe for quite some time. does it ever not respnod to the pedal when normally drivinhg??
No, after it's spell every morning, business as usual. I'll try the code thing. I've got two codes, 216 and one other. I'll have to get the other one again. Could the 216 be due to water in the diesel? I run Lucas diesel treatment in there. I'll get the other code tomorrow.

0216 is injection pump timing failure while the 1689 is failed communication between ECM and PCM. Neither should be related to water in fuel. As was mentioned, the 0216 is a troublesome code, sometimes indicating injection pump failure. However, I've also seen this code when there is simply a random short, a bad ground or a battery failure.

Have someone clear the codes for you, and when the truck acts up next time, stop and check the codes again.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":b11t6fum said:
0216 is injection pump timing failure while the 1689 is failed communication between ECM and PCM. Neither should be related to water in fuel. As was mentioned, the 0216 is a troublesome code, sometimes indicating injection pump failure. However, I've also seen this code when there is simply a random short, a bad ground or a battery failure.

Have someone clear the codes for you, and when the truck acts up next time, stop and check the codes again.

Rod
The other code is 1693. I drained the fill where you put the filter in, didn't have any problems with hesitation this morning. If the injection pump was bad would I have a continuous problem?

you might also be having trouble with alge in your fuel if it has sat around awhile,it will plug filters up also,ask your fuel dealer or auto parts store for something to kill it,it doesnt take alot to kill it

CowpokeJ":21ibc1ld said:
If the injection pump was bad would I have a continuous problem?

Usually, but not always. Sometimes the electronics will only act up on high humidity days. Other days, only when the moon is in the proper phase, you jump up and down holding a Corona, and yell "The green men are coming, the green men are coming."

Just keep an eye on it. Have you checked your lift pump pressure lately? Might not be a bad idea. I've seen those codes thrown when the injection pump has been starved for fuel. You want to see a minimum of 7 PSI at idle if the truck is stock. I prefer to see 10, especially with mild to medium performance parts on the truck. And 12 PSI if you've gotten a little nuts. Assuming of course this is the stock lift pump we're talking about.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":c3uc4xho said:
CowpokeJ":c3uc4xho said:
If the injection pump was bad would I have a continuous problem?

Usually, but not always. Sometimes the electronics will only act up on high humidity days. Other days, only when the moon is in the proper phase, you jump up and down holding a Corona, and yell "The green men are coming, the green men are coming."
Rod

Sounds like you are a product of the 70's. I won't hold that against you. I think I am also. 8) 8)

JMichal":4gy1wokq said:
Sounds like you are a product of the 70's. I won't hold that against you. I think I am also. 8) 8)

:lol: :lol: It sticks out, does it? My kids always tell me about the 70s. At least what they've read. I'm glad to hear about them as I don't remember much about those days. And the 80s were a bit of a blur too. :lol:

Rod

the 216 code is the fatal code for the ij pump. electronically or mechanically its most likely at least some of your issues. esp if yer pumping gunk and water thru it. very tight tolerances in the inj pump(vp 44). it is about a grand or 1400 or so installed

dieselbeef":398m6fvf said:
the 216 code is the fatal code for the ij pump. electronically or mechanically its most likely at least some of your issues. esp if yer pumping gunk and water thru it. very tight tolerances in the inj pump(vp 44). it is about a grand or 1400 or so installed
What's 1693?