Water in the diesel!

Help Support CattleToday:

my ford f 350 did something similar. When left sitting overnight it would crank and run fine for just about 30 seconds then go dead. It would take forever to recrank it and it just seemed like it wasn't getting any fuel. I put a universal electric fuel pump mounted inline and haven't had any problems since. I don't know if this will help you or not.

dieselbeef":1hpyh7qv said:
cowpoke did ya ever get this sorted?? wonderin what it ended up bein
Well, that's a story in itself. Truck is in local dealership now. Major hoop jumping. Am now certified expert at hoop jumping. Will expand on story when I get it back.

thats how they usually end up. sorry to hear that. good techs are awfully hard to come by. glad im able to do all my own wrenchin,,,

Pretty old thread now but what nobody mentioned was diesel is an oil .
Oils float on top of water
Draining the tank until diesel comes out will get rid of most of the water in the tank

Likewise do the pump and filters - each can usually be drained unti good fuel comes out and fresh fuel pumped through with the hand control on the pump -if its got one

Keep in mind if water is getting to the injectors then the fuel pump is full of water -has to be or the top stuff being injected would be oil.

Petrol works the same way

Both fuels are finer than water and to ensure both get traces of water out through the system and burnt I use metho (Denatured alchohol ,methlated spirits ) and put about a pint per tank every so often to be sure .

You will always get condensation in the tank falling to the bottom and getting pumped out first. Both in the vehicle and in the suppliers pumps.

DiamondSCattleCo":31mdoudq said:
CowpokeJ":31mdoudq said:
If the injection pump was bad would I have a continuous problem?

Usually, but not always. Sometimes the electronics will only act up on high humidity days. Other days, only when the moon is in the proper phase, you jump up and down holding a Corona, and yell "The green men are coming, the green men are coming."

Just keep an eye on it. Have you checked your lift pump pressure lately? Might not be a bad idea. I've seen those codes thrown when the injection pump has been starved for fuel. You want to see a minimum of 7 PSI at idle if the truck is stock. I prefer to see 10, especially with mild to medium performance parts on the truck. And 12 PSI if you've gotten a little nuts. Assuming of course this is the stock lift pump we're talking about.

Rod
You nailed it. Lift pump not lifting, starved the injector pump. Extended warranty company finally, and I repeat finally, decided to cover it. After about 10 hoops. I called the dealer where I bought it, and I guess they had to put the screws to the ewc. Pays to buy trucks at a place that sells a s load of trucks...

glad they stood behind it for ya...if they only did the lift pump then make sure that they will stand behind the inj pump as well cuz when it starves the pump it scores the plungers in that style pump and it will result in lower in press and poorer performance and eventual failure. hopefully not in yer case!
sounds like a decent place to deal with though them jobs can get quite high. my perf inj pump and lift pump cost me 1500$ and i installed it.

dieselbeef":f442n11e said:
glad they stood behind it for ya...if they only did the lift pump then make sure that they will stand behind the inj pump as well cuz when it starves the pump it scores the plungers in that style pump and it will result in lower in press and poorer performance and eventual failure. hopefully not in yer case!
sounds like a decent place to deal with though them jobs can get quite high. my perf inj pump and lift pump cost me 1500$ and i installed it.
They had to replace both of them.

Latest posts