Watch your feet

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer":3nqxse0g said:
I wouldn't be afraid to part with a little money, my question is- what kind of success do they have at preventing a bite? I'm looking for something in the 110% range.

And do they come with epinephrine to start my heart back up after one has attempted to bite me?

No but they do come with a roll of Charmin.

Commercialfarmer":3jcrqhha said:
I wouldn't be afraid to part with a little money, my question is- what kind of success do they have at preventing a bite? I'm looking for something in the 110% range.

And do they come with epinephrine to start my heart back up after one has attempted to bite me?

I'd buy the snake chaps and use while hunting. They will keep briars off you and the snakes can't seem to penetrate them. I've been struck a few times on the chaps and never had a problem other than wetting myself. The snake boots are hot but so are the chaps. If it gets too warm then you will probably not see any snakes unless you are in a bottom or something. Watch for box turtles. When you see them crawling you better put your chaps on.

On several occasions I have been with people when we come up on a rattlesnake and as a test there is a $100 for anyone who will let the snake him them in the leg voluntarily even if they have snake boots on underneath. To this day, after about 30 years, I know of no one who has taken this challenge.

:shock: Holy crap. Thats a snake. I was wade fishing the Cossotot many moons ago and seen an inner tube floating down the river toward me. I kept fishing until that inner tube came unwound and started painting me on radar

Jogeephus":26c3klqa said:
Commercialfarmer":26c3klqa said:

I'd buy the snake chaps and use while hunting. They will keep briars off you and the snakes can't seem to penetrate them. I've been struck a few times on the chaps and never had a problem other than wetting myself. The snake boots are hot but so are the chaps. If it gets too warm then you will probably not see any snakes unless you are in a bottom or something. Watch for box turtles. When you see them crawling you better put your chaps on.

On several occasions I have been with people when we come up on a rattlesnake and as a test there is a $100 for anyone who will let the snake him them in the leg voluntarily even if they have snake boots on underneath. To this day, after about 30 years, I know of no one who has taken this challenge.

Stepped in the middle of a Timber rattler once things got real tight for a little while.
He never rattled when I got on top of him he couldn't as he was suffocating as I went straight up.

The feeling of one under your foot is unforgettable. I've been bit twice by venomous snakes but I've been lucky in they were all reactionary bites or "dry bites" The bite itself really doesn't hurt as bad as you might think. It feels about like a wasp sting. The pain comes later when the venom starts to work. Both of my bites I shrugged off as completely dry but my wife had a fit when a moccasin hit me on the hand and I wouldn't go to the doctor. It just didn't really hurt that bad and it looked more like a scratch or a paper cut with very little blood. The next morning when my hand looked like a baseball glove she got the last word in. I'm just glad it didn't strike me on my ring finger or I would have been screwed. A rattlesnake hit me in the calf once but again it didn't hurt that bad and I didn't really feel much pain but my leg rotted for a month or two until it finally stopped and began healing. Seem like it took forever. The bad bites are the ones where the snake is hunting or it is upset. These bites are really bad and can immobilize you in less than 20 minutes if he pumps you. Not surprisingly my doctor told me that 95% of these bites occur on the hands or the face and usually involve alcohol consumption.

My worst encounter with a snake was a large rattlesnake that hit me in my leg with my chaps on. Where he came from I'll never know but it felt like someone punched me in the leg. He was big but once I got over my shear panic he became a stain in the woods floor. BTW - he was laying near a corn feeder in the woods waiting on mice I guess.

Jogeephus":1r3q7wem said:
The feeling of one under your foot is unforgettable. I've been bit twice by venomous snakes but I've been lucky in they were all reactionary bites or "dry bites" The bite itself really doesn't hurt as bad as you might think. It feels about like a wasp sting. The pain comes later when the venom starts to work. Both of my bites I shrugged off as completely dry but my wife had a fit when a moccasin hit me on the hand and I wouldn't go to the doctor. It just didn't really hurt that bad and it looked more like a scratch or a paper cut with very little blood. The next morning when my hand looked like a baseball glove she got the last word in. I'm just glad it didn't strike me on my ring finger or I would have been screwed. A rattlesnake hit me in the calf once but again it didn't hurt that bad and I didn't really feel much pain but my leg rotted for a month or two until it finally stopped and began healing. Seem like it took forever. The bad bites are the ones where the snake is hunting or it is upset. These bites are really bad and can immobilize you in less than 20 minutes if he pumps you. Not surprisingly my doctor told me that 95% of these bites occur on the hands or the face and usually involve alcohol consumption.

My worst encounter with a snake was a large rattlesnake that hit me in my leg with my chaps on. Where he came from I'll never know but it felt like someone punched me in the leg. He was big but once I got over my shear panic he became a stain in the woods floor. BTW - he was laying near a corn feeder in the woods waiting on mice I guess.

That is where my incident happened. A deer feeder is like Lubby's for a rattlesnake.

Do rattlesnakes crawl at night?? Had a friend tell me they don't, he is wrong. I just killed one a 1/2 hour ago, a big fat canebreak.
And yes feeders are a good place to find rattlesnakes.

He's definitely wrong on that. Night time is usually cooler than the day and when its in the 60-70's is when I see most of the snakes and usually around field or areas where there are mice. Seriously, watch for the movement of box turtles.

Just don't worry about snakes.
The weather is good for going barefooted. Take advantage of it.
You probably wont get bit.
If you do it probably wont kill you.
If it does, we'll all stand around and say, "He was a good 'ole boy. It's a shame he had to go that way, and at such a young age".

Personally I can't stand them :yuck: and wish I could kill them all.

Ryder":2est5oqy said:
If it does, we'll all stand around and say, "He was a good 'ole boy. It's a shame he had to go that way, and at such a young age".

That is not good advice around here.
These are quite common here to play with.

Caustic Burno":2vivp9pl said:
Ryder":2vivp9pl said:

That is not good advice around here.
These are quite common here to play with.
If those are quite common there, I would MOVE!

Ryder":ckugud35 said:
You're a bad bad advisor...
Comparison of my snakebit foot and the other one. (yeah, I know I have ugly feet--so what?)
He got only 1 fang in me (arrow) the other one went between my toes and this was taken several days after I got out of the hospital and the foot had begun to lose it's swelling. The upper part of my leg was still black, but ya'll really don't want to see that. copperhead.

4qv2.jpg

Commercialfarmer":z5fqfspr said:
Can they pierce regular leather boots on the toe area, if you wear the chaps with them?

No. For the most part cowboy boots will protect you most of the time since their bites tend to be fairly low on the leg but the one that got me in the calf was about three inches above my boot. Just bad luck.

Grey, your foot looks about like my hand did. Never been bit by a copperhead but a friend did. Fool thought he had found a pretty stick and picked it up. DA He said it felt like fire. How long did it take the wound to actually heal over?

Jogeephus":2f46pfnh said:
Commercialfarmer":2f46pfnh said:
Can they pierce regular leather boots on the toe area, if you wear the chaps with them?

No. For the most part cowboy boots will protect you most of the time since their bites tend to be fairly low on the leg but the one that got me in the calf was about three inches above my boot. Just bad luck.

Grey, your foot looks about like my hand did. Never been bit by a copperhead but a friend did. Fool thought he had found a pretty stick and picked it up. DA He said it felt like fire. How long did it take the wound to actually heal over?

Cousin got hit by a timber rattler years ago and still has issues.
He was a boy 10 or 11 out messing around snake hit the dog then him or he wouldn't be here today.
Another fellow on the deer lease got hit by one at home, he lost control of his water and bowels before he even dialed 911, had he been in the woods he was a dead man.
Jo I have often wondered if boots really protect us that well cow's get bit here wearing the same hide we make boot's out of.

CB, I think the difference is the hide is tanned and dried making it tougher. I got hit in the heel of my boot once and it didn't get me at all. I wouldn't have even known I'd been bit had it not been for the noise of it hitting my heal. What terrifies me is having one bite me above the boot and becoming snagged on my hide. I don't like this thought. This is why I normally just wear chaps. I know of no one who has ever been bitten through chaps.

As it begins to cool I will begin wearing my boots more frequently. I'm seeing lots of box turtles crawling so its about time.

Jogeephus":i8mr802l said:
CB, I think the difference is the hide is tanned and dried making it tougher. I got hit in the heel of my boot once and it didn't get me at all. I wouldn't have even known I'd been bit had it not been for the noise of it hitting my heal. What terrifies me is having one bite me above the boot and becoming snagged on my hide. I don't like this thought. This is why I normally just wear chaps. I know of no one who has ever been bitten through chaps.

As it begins to cool I will begin wearing my boots more frequently. I'm seeing lots of box turtles crawling so its about time.

I learned something new about the box turtles. I have noticed that as well after you mentioned it I had just never put it together.

Jogeephus":7pdd4fi0 said:
Commercialfarmer":7pdd4fi0 said:

Wound healed pretty fast--a week or 2 at the most. I had a tetanus shot within 1/2 hour of being bit and an IV bottle of antibiotics tho. The foot--never did go all the way back down to it's previous size.
"Felt like fire"
YES--and it was instant!! Felt like someone had shot a 20p nail in my toe. I was amazed, how fast it swole up, and how much it hurt. There's just nothing to compare it to. Been hit with a lot of electricity and it hurts, but this was just a different "kind" of hurt.

Latest posts