Warmer days = bass biting

Help Support CattleToday:

Perfect timing. I just came down the hill to check on a days old brush fire and when I crossed the pond dam, I watched youngest son reeling in a fish……twenty years ago, I could have told you what kind of fish, and guessed the weight.

It was bass, just about that size. I'll grab some pictures on the flip-flop.

Nice! I tried a few days ago here at the pond. 3 bites, no takers on a rubber craw. Tried 4/5 lures and they only hit the crawfish. Nothing left in the pond after the neighbors had molested it. Couple years ago I had 20 casts, 18 landed, all nice pan fish. There is hope, lots of tiny fish by the shore.

Nice fish and the first ones each year when it starts to warm a little are the best fun IMO. Those are light colored compared to the ones I used to catch in my fam pond that had a lot of bottom grassy cover, but the ones in my brother-in-law's pond a few miles away with virtually no grassbed were always light, almost albino blacks..

Missed a couple of crappie in the pond that has them . Struck right at the bank , water clear enough I saw the fish . They would have gone home with me to the skillet 🍳 !

Missed a couple of crappie in the pond that has them . Struck right at the bank , water clear enough I saw the fish . They would have gone home with me to the skillet 🍳 !
I was thinking about going crappie fishing at Weiss Saturday, if I don't go to the Brangus sale in Calhoun. Crappie and bream are the best eating fish there is.

That's a good lake, too. It is about 85 miles from me, where as Weiss at Brushy Branch or Lock & Dam in Ga, is about 40. About 50 over to the Center, Alabama part.
Cedar Bluff area use to be another good crappie place . Had a professor in college that I took a graduate class under . Took me and my oldest son . Fished with cane poles and minnows. He knew every treetop in Cedar Bluff !

Cedar Bluff area use to be another good crappie place . Had a professor in college that I took a graduate class under . Took me and my oldest son . Fished with cane poles and minnows. He knew every treetop in Cedar Bluff !
Lake Weiss has been called the " crappie capitol of the world". It is a shallow lake that warns up fast. And so much structure. If you don't know the lake, you better not run your boat outside the channels. I don't know of anytime that I have fished there and didn't catch something. Good bass lake, too.

I have never fished for bass or crappie; I would not know the first thing about catching those types of fish. Mostly trout, and a few bullheads with my grandfather. We fished Jackson Lake quite a few times, always wanted to take the boat to Yellowstone lake and fish it, but never got that done. I finally convinced dad to sell the boat last year, we just don't have time to take it out.

I have never fished for bass or crappie; I would not know the first thing about catching those types of fish. Mostly trout, and a few bullheads with my grandfather. We fished Jackson Lake quite a few times, always wanted to take the boat to Yellowstone lake and fish it, but never got that done. I finally convinced dad to sell the boat last year, we just don't have time to take it out.
Crappie is easy, once you find them. Just use minnows, or small curly tail jigs, or small spinners like a Rooster Tail. Once you find a school, usually in the tops of trees and brush, you can just sit there on them and get one every cast. Bass? A whole different story. They don't school. I fished tournaments from 1992 til 2001. I had 7 huge tackle boxes of every kind of lure there is. I carried 14 rod and reel combos, for every kind of lure and set up there was. In a given day, you might use Carolina rigged worms, spinner baits, buzz baits, jerk baits, or pitch a pig n jig, And for each kind of lure, you had to have every size and color combo they make. It got to be work more so than fun, sometimes. But, it is almost an addiction. Now days, when I go, I take a Carolina-rigged rod for the plastics, a rod for spinner baits and top-water, and one to pitch jigs. And only three tackle boxes! My favorite thing to do, if and when I ever get a chance, is to hit the Ga coast and fish the coastal creeks and flats for redfish, speckled trout, and flounder. I can do it with my bass boat and tackle, and these, to me, are the best tasting salt-water fish there is.

Latest posts