White Bass

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Sandies are running good, crappie should start showing up in a couple of weeks.You bovine wranglers have fun, I'm headed back fishing.

houstoncutter said:
Sandies are running good, crappie should start showing up in a couple of weeks.You bovine wranglers have fun, I'm headed back fishing.

I was looking Dam B over going to Jasper today. Lake is way up should make for some fine perch jerking when they start running. I have got to get this vertigo cleared up before getting in a boat.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Used to love catching sandies on Cedar Creek Lake back in the 70s and early 80s.

You wouldn't recognize it today. It has become a a play area for the wealthy out of Dallas. The is very little shoreline left that isn't covered with big houses and irrigated lawns. My best spot is a boat house that has a 40' Donci boat hanging from a lift.

The fishing is still pretty good considering but over the last few years the black bass have really tapered off. They just don't have the habitat left to do well plus they receive a lot of pressure from the big tournaments. They introduced hybrid striped bass some years back and they will sure enough give you a good pull. The sandies are like cockroaches. You can't get rid of them.

bird dog said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Used to love catching sandies on Cedar Creek Lake back in the 70s and early 80s.

You wouldn't recognize it today. It has become a a play area for the wealthy out of Dallas. The is very little shoreline left that isn't covered with big houses and irrigated lawns. My best spot is a boat house that has a 40' Donci boat hanging from a lift.

The fishing is still pretty good considering but over the last few years the black bass have really tapered off. They just don't have the habitat left to do well plus they receive a lot of pressure from the big tournaments. They introduced hybrid striped bass some years back and they will sure enough give you a good pull. The sandies are like cockroaches. You can't get rid of them.

We used to stay out all night fishing under the dock lights with Mepps Spinners. You could really load the boat.

Back in the late 70s early 80s we used to fish lake Palestine, good fishing lake, I remember late February, early March you would drive over the bridge on FM 315 coming out of Chandler at night and it looked like a city out there with all the boats.

haase said:
Back in the late 70s early 80s we used to fish lake Palestine, good fishing lake, I remember late February, early March you would drive over the bridge on FM 315 coming out of Chandler at night and it looked like a city out there with all the boats.
Sure it wasn't the boat drive thru at Foots Liquor Store?? :lol2: :lol:

Thanks to red.
We've got a cabin on the Colorado directly across from the Colorado bend state park. Probably the most legendary white bass run in the state.
I fished that section of river my entire life.The peak of the run comes when the bluebonnets bloom.

Side note. Colorado bend state park was originally Lemons fish camp and ranch. Willie Nelson bought the ranch from the Lemons brothers. The after the IRS took all Willie's shyt including the ranch. The state bought it and it became a state park.

Edit to add... anyone who calls them sand bass is considered to be a northener

callmefence said:
Thanks to red.
We've got a cabin on the Colorado directly across from the Colorado bend state park. Probably the most legendary white bass run in the state.
I fished that section of river my entire life.The peak of the run comes when the bluebonnets bloom.

Side note. Colorado bend state park was originally Lemons fish camp and ranch. Willie Nelson bought the ranch from the Lemons brothers. The after the IRS took all Willie's shyt including the ranch. The state bought it and it became a state park.

Sure were a lot of native born northerners around back then I reckon.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
Thanks to red.

Sure were a lot of native born northerners around back then I reckon.

Still is ... north of waco