Bass fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

The catfish here come out of the Snake River. Deep river with a rocky bottom. And the water is not very warm. I don't care too much for them. There are a lot better eating fish than catfish around this part of the world in my opinion.
About the best thing I can say about catfish is they're a step above carp.

Might be better to take the route through the middle of Louisiana (through Alexandria) and avoid New Orleans area and most of the Houston area. Might miss a Buc-ee's or two though.
There is a mini excavator on auction in Alexandria I would like to have. Any way you can stop and throw it in the back of the truck on your way home Kenny?😂

Adds 10 minutes but saves 44 miles. I like that route

Yup. If you're going to 20 miles north of Houston you should be able to avoid Houston traffic, and there's definitely no reason to get anywhere close to New Orleans, even if you did want to dip down farther south.

It sounds like you won't be too far from me. I'm about a 45 minute drive northwest of Houston (depending on which part of Houston you're coming from).

Yup. If you're going to 20 miles north of Houston you should be able to avoid Houston traffic, and there's definitely no reason to get anywhere close to New Orleans, even if you did want to dip down farther south.

It sounds like you won't be too far from me. I'm about a 45 minute drive northwest of Houston (depending on which part of Houston you're coming from).
I will let you know when I find out. Usually I know where but not when. This time I know neither. Got one to Newcastle OK soon also. New Lebonon, OH Thursday.

this one was from several years ago but I have another one now about the same size. (2x6 planks on the dock for size comparison) Always been at least one in my pond and always male. several decades ago there was one about 10' long that my dad fed chicken to tied to the end of a long cane pole but he got too aggressive and dad shot him, back when they were strictly protected. Took it around and showed everyone in town but never got caught with it.
The Tx game folks tell me the small males can't fight for females against the big bulls in the river (2000' ft from the pond) so as juveniles, they try to find a pond to grow up in then return to the river to claim their share of the girls. I've seen them snag a lot of wood ducklings and bass frequently but they won't bother turtles. Evidently don't like the taste of beaver either. Cold blooded and they hibernate in winter in burrows but in early spring come out and like to lay in the sun and hunt mostly at night. Their eyes will shine in a spotlight.
alligator.jpg

We've got those things here in the Lampasas river believe it or not. The game wardens have made a big deal out of threatening the worst for anyone who harms one.
Big dustup and investigation when one turned up dead in a hayfield several years back. They never did find out who was responsible. I've always thought I'd rather have hogs and fire ants than alligators.
Agilators are mostly harmless except for the ducks and fish they eat. Fire ants are much more troublesome where I live and a single .22 shell will get rid of a gator. 1 alligator versus 100s of fire ant mounds--no contest.

Latest posts