Wanting to buy some middle aged cows

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest":3qpiy3ue said:
Thanks to everyone who's reached out. If all goes well, we'll have a bunch of new girls in the pasture come dinnertime Thursday.

Talltimber ... we might have 8-12 pairs to sell once they calve out.

What did you have to give for them?

angus9259":3jixavzy said:
WalnutCrest":3jixavzy said:
Thanks to everyone who's reached out. If all goes well, we'll have a bunch of new girls in the pasture come dinnertime Thursday.

Talltimber ... we might have 8-12 pairs to sell once they calve out.

What did you have to give for them?

Dr. Evil says...

In all seriousness, these were some of the nicest commercial females aged 4-7 I've seen in a while; lots of wedge-shaped cattle (from the side view and top down) with good temperaments (one sniffed my hand while I was out and among them and only one was even remotely a little wary). Not everything was exactly the same price as four of them have already calved, but if you averaged it out, a little less than $1,550 per head for 42 late bred cows and 4 pair.

3-4 (?) red and red/brockle.
10-12 (?) black/brockle.
30-35 (?) solid black.

They are bred SimAng (a Char bull was turned out at the very end, so any later-coming calves may be smokey).

elkwc":3qh9vh1l said:
Ojp6":3qh9vh1l said:
Depending on flesh, how good the bags are, and disposition

Sill a lot of variation week to week, but average prices have moved up $200 to $300 per head here since December, and are approaching the prices last year at this time.
Seems too high considering where the kill market is. Am I missing something ?

Stocker Steve":36w9h8ya said:
elkwc":36w9h8ya said:
Ojp6":36w9h8ya said:
Depending on flesh, how good the bags are, and disposition

Sill a lot of variation week to week, but average prices have moved up $200 to $300 per head here since December, and are approaching the prices last year at this time.
Seems too high considering where the kill market is. Am I missing something ?

Steve there is a higher undeertone here especially on pairs. Haven't noticed it as much on bred heifers yet. Will know more after this week. Plan on attending a sale Friday and then a production sale Sat. Hopefully I can purchase the last few bred heifers I've been looking for Saturday. Will be interesting. Watching the reports I've seen of sale the prices are all over. Varies a lot with area. Here the prices tend to be weaker going into CO and NM and higher as you get into OK and the further east in KS as a rule. But saw the results of some good cattle that sold in KS in the last week and they were still of a lot from last year. The issue now is being in the right place at the right time.

Well, they're home now and in their pasture.

Our bull greeted them at the gate stomping and snorting. He promptly informed us that the cow with the oldest calf was in heat. As soon as she stepped off the trailer, the chased her around the pasture until he caught her.

One small rodeo (that could have been an enormous rodeo if not for the quick thinking of the guy who handled the haul for us) that ended up being nothing more than a few small scrapes on a cow's leg. If anyone is looking for someone to haul for them to/from mid/western Missouri, LMK. I'll happily give you a referral to him. Drop me a PM for his info.

The sun was setting before I really got to take a look at everyone who hopped off the trailer -- but, I do know that we'll be selling a few of them as pairs once they drop their calves with pasture exposure to our fullblood Aubrac bull (I've posted pictures of Zach before) -- and, so if that sort of calf (Aubrac x. commercial SimAng) isn't your thing, nothing that a shot of lute won't fix. Ideally, these cows that will be relocating will be on their new grass some time between the end of February and the middle of April. These cows are enormous -- good width and depth across the board. Generally, the ones we're going to sell will be the ones with more height as we're suckers for the shorter, dumpier type.

The group tally is:

1 -- Char x. Simm cow (white); this is the one our bull bred as soon as she stepped off the trailer
3 -- Solid Red (seller said they had some Simm influence); one of them has already been named -- Legs -- she's a lotta frame
8 -- Black / Brockle
34 -- Black (some/many w/ Simm influence)

The cows were with a SimAng bull until the very end when a Char bull was put in with them for the tail end of the season. So, early calves will be SimAng out of SimAng cows ... the last few will maybe have some smokies interspersed with the others.

The youngest calf was born yesterday. He was super easy going. He let my wife just scratch and scratch him. He was Red / Brockle out of a solid black cow.

by WalnutCrest » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:57 pm
Solid Red (seller said they had some Simm influence); one of them has already been named -- Legs -- she's a lotta frame

Love it! We have a bred heifer named Legs - she was sooo tall when she was born, took her forever to grow into her legs/even out. Plus we have a son in law that's a fighter pilot & his nickname is Legs.

Congrats on the new additions!

Latest posts