"Wagyu not necassary"

Help Support CattleToday:

topsquar

Reaction score
From the September 2006 edition of Agriculture Today.

Improved beef marbling can be achieved without reliance on Wagyu genetics, according to the latest results from the Beef Quality Co-operative Research Centre experiment, carried out at Kooba Station in southern NSW.

The study also revealed that higher yielding genotypes can deliver carcases of acceptable eating quality and are likely to deliver higher returns to producers in most current markets.

The NSW study is part of a four State, southern Australian project designed to find the best combination of genetics and nutrition for different areas, and their effects on meat quality and subsequent profitability.

NSW Department of Primary Industries livestock officer, John Irwin, said the trial involved growing out steer progeny of various breeds, followed by 100 day feedlot finishing to produce carcases to suit sections of the local and export markets.

"Steers with high yielding potential were produced using sires selected from Charolais and Limousin breeds, as well as from Angus with high EBV for retail beef yield," he said.

"Steers with high marbling potential were provided from sires of Black Wagyu or Angus with high EBVs for intramuscular fat.

"Additional steers with high potential for both traits were sired by Red Wagyu from Angus with appropriate high EBVs.

"At weaning the steers were placed into either a high or low growth group and pasture fed to group averages of 400 kilogram feedlot entry weight."

From birth to weaning, Mr Irwin said fast and slow growth rates did not significantly impact on carcase traits, but sire carcase traits did create differences.

"Marble score across the different sire progeny groups showed Wagyu and Angus intramuscular fat were similar and that, as expected, European sired steers had the lowest marble scores," he said.

"The results indicate there is little value in using Wagyu genetics over selected Angus sires with high EBV's for intramuscular fat, if a higher marbling carcase is the target.

"However, many breeds and types can achieve the level of marbling currently required for the domestic market, so using sires with high marbling potential will depend on the targeted market.

"Many breeds and types can achieve the level of marbling required for the domestic market, so sires do not necessarily need to be selected for high intramuscular fat."

Samples taken from individual animals at slaughter were tested for eating quality by a taste panel.

"Most carcase types had acceptable eating quality, even those with low marble scores," Mr Irwin said.

"As expected, those steers produced from European sires had higher retail beef yield and, combined with higher carcase weights, should produce an expected higher dollar return.

"Using genotypes with high growth rate and yield is likely to remain the most profitable option for beef producers until premiums and discounts are instituted for meat quality attributes."

-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article appears in the September 2006 edition of Agriculture Today.

May I ask a couple questions about Austrailan Beef? I'm not a cattleman, but I've always wondered about a couple things.
First, this Wagyu, is it a crossbreed? Can you buy one in the U.S.?
Second, I once saw a film where Austrailans were driving jeep like vehicles at high speeds through forests, dodging many huge trees, and chasing Large dark Red Cattle, which looked very much like our American Shorthorn. They would drive the vehicle up onto the hind leg at full tilt, and the animal would be caught by the hind leg, and held until they subdued it.Very exciting stuff! But I was taken by the sturdy beauty of those beasts. I immediately thought what a great beef animal they would be. Could you tell me the name of those wild cattle.
Thanks for educating me a little.

Wagyu are a japanese breed of cattle with very high marbling content, very fatty steak.

The red cattle may be Shorthorns or Santas, no one around my parts herd cattle with jeeps so i would say it would be out west where the cattle are quiet wild and grow large. Big framed shorthorns

I didn;t think they were any specific breed. We used to buy beef from them to grind for our bulk burger in the butcher shop. It used to be referred to as "bumping". The meat had a true beef flavor, probably because it was from older cattle. It was shippied in frozen in chunks, no recognizable cuts. I liked, wife hated it, too strong she said.

dun

Wagyu cattle are a mixed breed that occurred over about a 100 years. They were originally use for draft purposes and still are in some areas of Asia. Japan kept outside influences of cattle out for quite a number of years so no one really knows what the actual breed is made up of.

As far as running cattle down with jeeps, I hear about it from a fellow from Australia. It does happen and they use it to capture bulls to castrate and doctor cattle. They also carry a rifle and shoot any that were dangerous.

Bobg

Latest posts