Virus in KY

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
sstterry said:
Guys, after all this time, no one is going to change Caustic Bruno's mind (even though he is wrong :tiphat:). I just hope that everyone here stays safe and this virus does not touch any of you, your families, or friends.

Let's try some math.
NYC 130k confirmed cases.that would overwhelm a normal medical system.
That's 130k more sick people out of 8 million. That's less than 2% of the population.
Death to Covid is at 4758 for NYC.
How many of those would be in the normal 15k deaths a month in NYC.
That data is not given so we don't know.
That is current figures by CDC.

It gets back to the Validity effect and fear.

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
Guys, after all this time, no one is going to change Caustic Bruno's mind (even though he is wrong :tiphat:). I just hope that everyone here stays safe and this virus does not touch any of you, your families, or friends.

Let's try some math.
NYC 130k confirmed cases.that would overwhelm a normal medical system.
That's 130k more sick people out of 8 million. That's less than 2% of the population.
Death to Covid is at 4758 for NYC.
How many of those would be in the normal 15k deaths a month in NYC.
That data is not given so we don't know.
That is current figures by CDC.

It gets back to the Validity effect and fear.

I saw an article this morning that supports what you are saying and that several coroners are saying that all of the attributable deaths may not be Covid-19 related.

But if you look at Taiwan, they have a population of 30 million and only 5 deaths. They got on it early and started testing and telling people to wear masks. They also did not shut down their economy.

I don't pretend to know the answers, but someone put it to me like this, "If I gave you 100 m&ms and said 97 were safe to eat, but 3 would kill you, what would you do?" This may not be any worse than normal the flu, but we know for a fact that it is much more contagious and we have zero immunity.

I don't know if it's relevant but here in Minnesota hospitals are almost empty as all elective surgery is banned. We have two daughters who work at large hospitals. One is in billing and ten of twelve employees have been laid off. Thankfully she was not. Another is a nurse and she says she has never seen it so empty. Even ER where she spends a lot of time is down to 10% of normal. According to our major newspaper hospitals are losing six million dollars a day and even doctors are being laid off. farmguy

farmguy said:
I don't know if it's relevant but here in Minnesota hospitals are almost empty as all elective surgery is banned. We have two daughters who work at large hospitals. One is in billing and ten of twelve employees have been laid off. Thankfully she was not. Another is a nurse and she says she has never seen it so empty. Even ER where she spends a lot of time is down to 10% of normal. According to our major newspaper hospitals are losing six million dollars a day and even doctors are being laid off. farmguy

My niece is a trauma nurse on life flight, she said it's been exceptionally slow as well.

This is about the best I have heard it put.

sstterry said:
I don't pretend to know the answers, but someone put it to me like this, "If I gave you 100 m&ms and said 97 were safe to eat, but 3 would kill you, what would you do?"
Some folks would just give the M&Ms to someone else to try.

I saw a statement from CDC yesterday that stated an unknown number of flu related pneumonia deaths were probably actually attributable to Covid19.

Tomorrow's updated (after midnight tonight) version of this graph is going to shock some people. Others won't care.

And, the updated chart for Tuesday is available:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

New model runs about the same with a bad flu season.
If we destroyed the economy for these numbers the American people will never listen again.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/healthcare/491715-key-coronavirus-model-revised-downward-predicts-60k-deaths-in-us-by-august%3famp

If I go to bed tonight and an asteroid comes crashing thru the roof I probably won't be listening to much at all.

The economy will be fine. There is absolutely zero evidence that the economy can't or won't recover.
There is a LOT of evidence tho, that dead people won't recover.

greybeard said:
If I go to bed tonight and an asteroid comes crashing thru the roof I probably won't be listening to much at all.

The economy will be fine. There is absolutely zero evidence that the economy can't or won't recover.
There is a LOT of evidence tho, that dead people won't recover.

I wondered how long it would take the fish to bite.
I know those predictions have to be wrong GB. I knew you would be along shortly .

Not predictions. 'Projections' based on what the analysts thought at the time, and based on how they assumed the US public would react and adhere to distancing and interaction with others. The initial projections by CDC's own words were based on worst case scenario. Not surprised at all that they are now being revised after the preponderance of the public reacted well and did their duty to protect themselves and others.

I'm just not much on putting a monetary value on other people's lives, even those I will never meet or know. I've been poor and I've been not poor. I like 'not poor' but no amount of my $ is worth another's life.
No matter what, none of us can get a camel to fit thru the eye of a needle.

greybeard said:
Not predictions. 'Projections' based on what the analysts thought at the time, and based on how they assumed the US public would react and adhere to distancing and interaction with others. The initial projections by CDC's own words were based on worst case scenario. Not surprised at all that they are now being revised after the preponderance of the public reacted well and did their duty to protect themselves and others.

I'm just not much on putting a monetary value on other people's lives, even those I will never meet or know. I've been poor and I've been not poor. I like 'not poor' but no amount of my $ is worth another's life.
I have been sending what I can spare to the televangelist preachers and they are sending it on. Don't know what their cut may be. What would you need money for in Heaven after all the streets are paved with gold.

hurleyjd said:
greybeard said:

I have been sending what I can spare to the televangelist preachers and they are sending it on. Don't know what their cut may be. What would you need money for in Heaven after all the streets are paved with gold.

Pretty low comment even for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.