Vinyl Fence - No?

Help Support CattleToday:

Goodlife

Reaction score
I am looking for more experience using the vinyl fence to pen cattle. I asked on anther post and didn't get much input. But what I rec'd was mostly "no, vinyl is not strong enough for cattle." I did get one response that placing a strand of electric inside vinyl fence to keep the cattle back from the fence works. But I feel silly putting up a fence I need to protect with a fence.

So how about it? One vendor I saw had 4 degrees of strength. I only saw it on-line so I cannot really say how strong it feels. I did go up to one 3 slat vinyl fence and it was pretty rickety. I assumed I would use 4 boards and well, you know I don't want a steer to bump up against one and it fall down. Anyone have a solid vinyl?

DW loves the look of white vinyl.

Ed

The four rail will work OK but I would not want it on a road frontage or any type of crowd condition. Once in a while when a cow (or calf most of the times) would try to graze the grass on the other side they would press hard enough against the vinyl to pop it out of the hole in the post. Also after a while the post shift around a bit and leave one rail to long and one rail to short. The one that was on my place was only about ten years old when it starting getting brittle. I tore all mine out two years ago. If you want something decorative, Prefeirt makes a nice product. I am not sure what it costs but I know the vinyl is expensive.

http://www.priefertfence.com/

Goodlife":1l2w1ldj said:
I am looking for more experience using the vinyl fence to pen cattle. I asked on anther post and didn't get much input. But what I rec'd was mostly "no, vinyl is not strong enough for cattle." I did get one response that placing a strand of electric inside vinyl fence to keep the cattle back from the fence works. But I feel silly putting up a fence I need to protect with a fence.

So how about it? One vendor I saw had 4 degrees of strength. I only saw it on-line so I cannot really say how strong it feels. I did go up to one 3 slat vinyl fence and it was pretty rickety. I assumed I would use 4 boards and well, you know I don't want a steer to bump up against one and it fall down. Anyone have a solid vinyl?

DW loves the look of white vinyl.

Ed

I think the advice you got was spot on. I use an electric fence to protect a older woven wire fence. Cattle will rub against almost anything that is not electric or barbed and eventually tear it up. Even if the vinyl holds up a while cows will eventually damage it, cost you a lot more money the a cheap strand of electric.

There is a farm up the road that has about a 30 acre pasture fenced on 2 sides with the 4 rail vinyl stuff. He runs different bunches of cattle thugh the pasture a copule of times a year, everything from stockers to pairs. Fence has been there for abou 4-5 years, one leg is along a mjor road and another along the driveway and his yard. I've never seen any problem with the cattle gathering aong the fnce but I do know he keeps the grass cut as short as a golve course for about 10 feet along the inside and a little less on the outside of it.

Well even I have so far seen that vinyl is considered kinda brittle for cattle. Even so there are companies who do vinyl fencing for ranches. I agree that there is absolutely no sense in having a fence to protect the fence.

The most economical and practical fence for penned cattle or holding facilities is cattle panels steepled to 3 treated 2x6's, one at the top, middle, and bottom. IMO it looks good and gives you good visibility on each side. If looks is a high priority, the western red cedar is real pretty and can be painted white. Southern States Coop here has treated Poplar 16ft. 1x6's which would make a nice fence. IMO the vinyl looks good at a distance, but the closer you get the cheaper it looks to me.

If it is for looks, it will need scrubbed clean every couple of years. If its to turn cattle it's worthless.

Depends on the cows. Doesn't take much visual obstacles to turn them away if they are easy. But they do need cleaned often and won't turn fence pushing types

If you plan to keep your cattle on your property... Nothing like barbed wire with steel T-Posts and significant welded pipe corner braces. Vinyl fencing is "decorative" and is sometimes used for tame horses... Question is, "do I want secure functional or aesthetic fencing"?

JMO

who not use the vinyl fence and had a hot wire too the inside seen a few guys take the galger pin locks and screw them right to the post 2 strands could be hide behind the rails to no be seen and dont know of much that would want to reach threw. would look good and hold at the same time. i have seen cows tear the stuff up with out some thing to keep them off it

They are no good at keeping cows in, unless you have a hot wire. They will walk right through it and think nothing of it. A jackass neighbor that lives in FL. has a nice looking white vinyl fence and his cows were out all the time. It got so bad the Sheriff called him and told him if he had one more call about cows being out he was going to shoot them. I hauled them all to the sale and mailed him the check, and he is not very happy with me. Told him to stop by when he gets in town and we will settle up for hauling and catching fees. I might even give him a little knot on the head.

highgrit":153kigga said:
They are no good at keeping cows in, unless you have a hot wire. They will walk right through it and think nothing of it. A jackass neighbor that lives in FL. has a nice looking white vinyl fence and his cows were out all the time. It got so bad the Sheriff called him and told him if he had one more call about cows being out he was going to shoot them. I hauled them all to the sale and mailed him the check, and he is not very happy with me. Told him to stop by when he gets in town and we will settle up for hauling and catching fees. I might even give him a little knot on the head.
Thanks for taking them in btw. Ill be up shortly and we can square up. I hope I got $200/ cwt as you promised I would

I don't want any more of it. It's expensive, and mine is brittle and this is the result. And it's a big problem to get pieces and parts to fix it.

This is what happened when a limb fell on it earlier this week. I secured the fence before taking the picture, but when it happened the limb took out all three rails and the horses could have walked out. Similar damage has happened several times and I don't have any more spare pieces.

Latest posts