Electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Lots of discussion about electric fence and keeping the controller from being hit by lightning. I had several blown apart before I learned this trick. 20220618_152210.jpg20220618_152155.jpg20220618_152138.jpgAttached is how I fixed mine to prevent lightning blowing the charger.
The rod is driven in the ground 7ft. Not sure that much is needed.
The lightning current comes in from the field and goes down and instead of making the sharp bend it jumps across to the rod and into the ground.
Leave the V in the wire close to the rod but not close enough for it to spark when it rains. I do occasionally have to remove a dead bug that gets in between the gap.

They also make commercial ones that do the same thing on the same principle. I have one fence on a hill that averaged losing at least a charger a year when my father was alive. Once I started taking care of the fence, I put in a lightning diverter and have not lost a charger since. I like your set-up better.

download (10).jpg

They also make commercial ones that do the same thing on the same principle. I have one fence on a hill that averaged losing at least a charger a year when my father was alive. Once I started taking care of the fence, I put in a lightning diverter and have not lost a charger since. I like your set-up better.

View attachment 18200
I've lost 2 or 3 at one place while using the above Gallgher diverter, even lost one of the diverters. I bet lightning has taken out 10 chargers in that place in the last 15 years, lost a cow there last weekend. Something about that place just ain't right.

I've lost 2 or 3 at one place while using the above Gallgher diverter, even lost one of the diverters. I bet lightning has taken out 10 chargers in that place in the last 15 years, lost a cow there last weekend. Something about that place just ain't right.
I'd be digging a few holes looking for gold if i were you.

Latest posts