Videos of our Sale bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

You showing off your bulls or just trying to sneak in some free advert. on the board?
I guess the mods will decide.

novatech":32wejsy8 said:
You showing off your bulls or just trying to sneak in some free advert. on the board?

Guess I should have left the date off, just a mistake. The edit button is not on this post, otherwise I would fix it.

real nice set of bulls, very consistent, kinda liked 13, 19 & 31 caught my eye, great job!

BRG":13erd0zq said:
novatech":13erd0zq said:

Guess I should have left the date off, just a mistake. The edit button is not on this post, otherwise I would fix it.
Well then they are good looking. I'd be proud to have them in a sale lot.

Why do some Red Angus have a light nose and a white switch?

In theory they only difference between them and black angus is hide color. So why the light nose and white switch?

Jovid":391t2hth said:

In theory they only difference between them and black angus is hide color. So why the light nose and white switch?

Good question, not sure what the answer is.

BRG":3cwjncd8 said:
Jovid":3cwjncd8 said:

I have an idea as to why. Maybe there was some Red Poll introduced into the Red Angus genetics at one time.

You can also look at their heads. The ones with a white switch will have more of a pointed polled head like a Red Poll. The ones without a white switch will have a more rounded head like an original black angus would have

Jovid":1uwmz0o1 said:
BRG":1uwmz0o1 said:
Jovid":1uwmz0o1 said:

I have an idea as to why. Maybe there was some Red Poll introduced into the Red Angus genetics at one time.

You can also look at their heads. The ones with a white switch will have more of a pointed polled head like a Red Poll. The ones without a white switch will have a more rounded head like an original black angus would have
could be ""but"" id bet it was more shorthorn

You can also look at their heads. The ones with a white switch will have more of a pointed polled head like a Red Poll. The ones without a white switch will have a more rounded head like an original black angus would have[/quote] could be ""but"" id bet it was more shorthorn[/quote]

Shorthorn could also be a possibility......I have yet to have a Red Angus breeder be able to answer the question.

I pointed out to a RA breeder here the other day when we were looking at his bulls. He had never thought about it till I brought it up. He had two bulls one with a white switch and one without.

I guess there is nobody else out there that can explain the light nose and white switch on some Red Angus............hmmmmmmmmmm

Jovid, if you read the History of the Red Angus breed on their website, they acknowledge that there was probably some Shorthorn blood introduced back in the 1700's to early 1800's in the foundation animals of both the current Red and Black Angus breeds.

Most of the Red Angus animals that I have seen have light colored noses and some sort of hint of white to their switch. I would guess that the light nose comes with the red color for the most part, although I have seen a few red calves with dark noses. I seriously doubt if it is from some breeders using your great Red Polls within the Red Angus genepool. Of the pictures that I have seen of Red Polls, there is a difference in some animals as far as how much white is in the switch of them too if I am not mistaken.

I'm not sure what BRG did/said to you to try to knock his cattle and the Red Angus breed as a whole by trying to insinuate that there are Red Polls that have been infused into the Red Angus genepool, but he has always been very helpful to us and has been nothing but nice. If anything, I would wonder if the opposite has happened before, that AR genes have been "added" to the Red Poll gene pool.

I guess I mistook his comments about their being Red Poll genetics in the Red Angus breed as knocking them. It sure sounded to me like he was trying to start an argument about the Red Angus cattle not being "pure".

"I guess there is nobody else out there that can explain the light nose and white switch on some Red Angus............hmmmmmmmmmm"

delta 88":3jc2lo7b said:
I guess I mistook his comments about their being Red Poll genetics in the Red Angus breed as knocking them. It sure sounded to me like he was trying to start an argument about the Red Angus cattle not being "pure".

"I guess there is nobody else out there that can explain the light nose and white switch on some Red Angus............hmmmmmmmmmm"

Delta- you're exactly right. the "hmmmmmmmmmm" defintely is leading to the fact that there's something dishonest going on. Which isn' t the case at all.

I'm also shocked that novatech would assume that Bryan was trying to get some sort of personal gain out of this thread. Bryan has consistently documented his bulls development on this forum, and its very informative. It's not very often you get to see this point of view from one of the leading cattle operations in a particular breed.

Mr. Gill, as always, your bulls are top notch. I have no doubt your customers will be satisfied with the offering!

CPL":3nvzzq65 said:
delta 88":3nvzzq65 said:

Delta- you're exactly right. the "hmmmmmmmmmm" defintely is leading to the fact that there's something dishonest going on. Which isn' t the case at all.

I'm also shocked that novatech would assume that Bryan was trying to get some sort of personal gain out of this thread. Bryan has consistently documented his bulls development on this forum, and its very informative. It's not very often you get to see this point of view from one of the leading cattle operations in a particular breed.

Mr. Gill, as always, your bulls are top notch. I have no doubt your customers will be satisfied with the offering!

I didn't say anyone was dishonest but if Red Angus are the same as Black Angus except for the hide color please explain why some have a light nose and a white switch?