Vermeer 504i Baler - Electric Switch Box

Help Support CattleToday:

fdwyer

Reaction score
Hey all!

After reading all the positive comments about the old Vermeer Balers, I bough an 504i that I intend to use this year.

What I lack is the electric box that is used to tie the bales. Is there a place to buy one of these or can someone describe what it does. Is it just on and off or does it need to reverse polarity ?

Can I make one?

Thanks !

Frank

You can buy one from Vermeer or make it yourself for about $25, I've made half a dozen for myself and friends. You'll need a 3-position, spring to neutral (center) switch with six terminals on the back. I believe the technical term is 3 position, dual pole, spring to center, might be wrong, though. They sell them at Lowe's in a red/black box under $10. Or go to a good local hardware store and tell them what you're looking for, will be quicker. Take two inch lengths of 12 guage wire and place round terminal crimp on connectors on each end. Attach them to the back of the switch in an "X" pattern across the top and bottom terminals. Add another crimp on connector to each of the middle terminals and either the top or bottom terminals of the "X", doesn't matter which. Run your 12v and ground to one set of these (middle or top/bottom) and the other set is the wires that run back to your baler. Place this contraption in a single weatherproof outdoor junction box of your choice, seal against the weather and locate where you wish. The plug for the baler is a common two-way plug used on trailers and available at any auto parts store. Test to confirm that one wire is hot and the other is ground when switch is pushed one way and they are reversed when pushed the other way. An inline fuse is not a bad idea either. Enjoy.

cfpinz

Thanks for the instructions; very helpful. Since I'm mounting this in the cab, just buying the switch makes more sense.

Much appreciated.

This actually wasn't my first post. I just forgot my name and password and had to start over.

Frank

You can use the Rebel 5410 Controller on the earlier balers. Just change the ends. They sell for less than $70.
vag09.jpg

If you make your own setup, be sure you use a 20 amp switch. The 10 & 15 amp switches will burn out.

Thanks Ironpeddler.

It was your posts that convinced me to try this old baler on our small scale operation. We've got a few months to tinker so I think I'll try making my own.

Thanks for the advice on the rating, I was wondering about that.

Frank

We had a 504I for a good while. Go ahead and buy some extra bearings now, you'll need them if you use it very much. Decent baler, but ours had the square starter roller, would wrap and shatter the drive sprocket in wet hay.

cfpinz

cfpinz":22pixhmy said:
We had a 504I for a good while. Go ahead and buy some extra bearings now, you'll need them if you use it very much. Decent baler, but ours had the square starter roller, would wrap and shatter the drive sprocket in wet hay.

cfpinz
I'll bet you that you had a 504I that had the wrong windguard in it. They replaced them because the tines were too short. We had customers baling haylage with those balers even with the square starter rollers. The I balers made after 1990 had 1 1/2" shafts and bearings and they didn't have any problems.

ironpeddler":3rt99s8d said:
cfpinz":3rt99s8d said:

cfpinz
I'll bet you that you had a 504I that had the wrong windguard in it. They replaced them because the tines were too short. We had customers baling haylage with those balers even with the square starter rollers. The I balers made after 1990 had 1 1/2" shafts and bearings and they didn't have any problems.

Ours had the 1 1/4" bearings, neighbors with the 1 1/2" did not have as much trouble. This baler was purchased brand new in September of 1988, I remember the day it was delivered like it was yesterday. I was 11 years old, had learned on a 605C, this was a Cadillac compared to that thing!

cfpinz

I went back and looked at the old service bulletin. The tines needed to be cut down to 26" from 31". The long tines were forcing wet hay up against the square roller causing the baler to plug. Vermeer solved this by cutting the tines off and advancing the cam timing 1/2 hole and the baler would bale wet hay. It's been 19 years and I just had forgotten what exactly what was done. In 1992 the Super I baler came out with the spiral rollers standard. The spiral rollers were options from 1990 on.

Well, I finally tested my creation.

The wiring worked exactly as cfpinz described. I mounted and outdoor receptical box with a stainless faceplate for the switch and and a fuse into the side. Welded a bracket on the back and I can take it from one tractor to the next....

With wire it probably cost me $25-$30 Canadian.

Perfect - worked on the first try.

Thanks again everyone.

Frank

Latest posts