Electric driver-less tractor.

Help Support CattleToday:

I just text a friend about this tractor my other friend who told me about this operator less tractor plant by itself without a tractor driver and I think I was miss informed about the tractor not having to have a operator. Sounds more like all they are using is a GPS to steer the tractor and even then they have to turn it around at the end of the rows.

Autosteer isn't a big deal anymore. Any tractor can be set up with GPS and autosteer for around 4k. Even the fancier system still need an operator I believe. The new planters and drills that alert the operator when 1 row starts skipping are impressive too.

Decades ago, I used to drive by the Goodyear Tire proving ground just North of San Angelo Tx and they had big farm tractors driving around in small and wide circles, tethered to a big pole, electric wires drooping from the tether cable. Round and a round and around...My how things have changed.

I have read about the cab less semi trailer a few years ago. Google and Microsoft operated. Seems they were running from tx to ca on I-10. No issues for years of testing.

I am not computer literate enough to know how to post this article but if you google " Embark's self-driving truck completes 2400 mile cross-US trip"

It's the story about a semi truck that drove itself from California to Florida without its truck driver passenger having to take over during the trip. There was a truck driver on board during the trip in case something went wrong and would need a human to intervene.

This happened in 2018. Pretty interesting I thought.

I saw a driverless tractor on TV - it was in a murder mystery show and had been wired to be driven by remote control. LOL

I think if you had a tractor planting huge fields of corn, soybeans, etc. like @504RP was talking about, it would have to be on flat even fields. If the tires hit a furrow or a ditch wrong couldn't it throw the tractor off course?

We've got around 15,000 acres of good flat farm ground about 2 miles from our house. When I went by yesterday they were cleaning up the cotton crop and planting what I guess was wheat. The tractors hooked to drills were moving along pretty good and it didn't look like the operator was doing much. Guessing everything the plant with is autosteer. When one got to the road he did stop, backup, and turn around though. Probably has an alarm to alert him.

Latest posts