vegetable oil on back rub??

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
About to put out a backrub and after looking at the price of diesel, mineral oil, and crude oil I was wondering if you mixed the vegetable oil with a little water to thin it out and the fly killer if it would work just as well as the other stuff. I can buy 5 gallons of vegetable oil cheaper than the other stuff.

Interesting. It doesn't take but 3 months for an oil film here to turn into a hard cake from the dust and dirt

You need to reapply more often. Keeps the mud moist and falls off easier. Or a cow that tears it down and rolls it around once a month. :lol:

I got a question; we put up a rub for the first time, EVER. Our cows REFUSED to walk under it, even when I put grain buckets right on the other side! I think it might be because it is white and looks like hotwire (polywire)??? We had it about 4 foot high, and they just flat out refused to move to the next pasture. How do you get them used to it? We ended up putting it between two poles that there is no way they are forced to go under it, but I figured they might get curious and check it out and lose their fear...

Fire Sweep Ranch":1keevnr2 said:
I got a question; we put up a rub for the first time, EVER. Our cows REFUSED to walk under it, even when I put grain buckets right on the other side! I think it might be because it is white and looks like hotwire (polywire)??? We had it about 4 foot high, and they just flat out refused to move to the next pasture. How do you get them used to it? We ended up putting it between two poles that there is no way they are forced to go under it, but I figured they might get curious and check it out and lose their fear...
Weus wipers and set them up so they have to go through them for water. At first we mounted them real high so that they could just walk under and miss them by a cople of feet, then we gradually lowred them. Now they have to push through them with theior head to get in/out and they just barely wipe the backs of little calves.

In time they seem to learn what they are. Growing up, my dad would put a cable between two trees and drape an old piece of carpet over it. Then he'd pour crude oil from the gas well over it. We could put a rub anywhere, and the cows would seek it out.
These days I use old engine oil, because I have a lot of it, thinned with a little diesel, plus permethrin. Out of a gallon, I only use about two cups of diesel. That's enough for the oil to soak into the rub. Seems to work okay, and is cheaper than straight diesel. I set them up leading to water, or getting into the breeze way of the barn, maybe 3.5' high.

i cant get my cows to go near it..they wont even come in to the pens for feed....a cpl made it by after a few days but 4-5 of em wont even get near it. its not real low..diesel and permethrin..a 10 ftr across the walkway...i took it down and they go right in...stupid cows....grrrr

When you change the oil in your vehicles just pour it in a 5 gallon bucket and save it. Other than the initial cost of buying it for your vehicle it is free. Especially if you live next door to a car dealership who has used motor oil for free any time of the year.

j&lfarms":1n92c2yw said:
When you change the oil in your vehicles just pour it in a 5 gallon bucket and save it. Other than the initial cost of buying it for your vehicle it is free. Especially if you live next door to a car dealership who has used motor oil for free any time of the year.
Looks like crap on light haired breeds tho, especially if the old oil came from a diesel..
(I wonder tho...if Chars have a pretty black stripe down their back, will they automatically be CAB and worshipped as such by the faithful followers?) ;-) :lol:
:hide:

j&lfarms":nctrq6h7 said:

Wonder why a car dealer would give away something that can be sold, cleaned and resold as "O.P." Oil.

Because it generally causes more problems storing the used oil than it is worth. Here, you can't "just" have a tank or drum--it has to be labeled, a rust proof tank, within a spill containment enclosure, (water tight wall) and the enclosure covered from rainfall with a roof so if their is some spilled outside the tank itself, the rain doesn't wash it off out on to the soil beyond the enclosure.

greybeard":2z7by266 said:
Because it generally causes more problems storing the used oil than it is worth. Here, you can't "just" have a tank or drum--it has to be labeled, a rust proof tank, within a spill containment enclosure, (water tight wall) and the enclosure covered from rainfall with a roof so if their is some spilled outside the tank itself, the rain doesn't wash it off out on to the soil beyond the enclosure.

Trucks run all the time out here pumping on oil from lube stations, car dealerships etc to clean, can and resale. Same for restaurant "grease".

I have used my old diesel oil thinned down and did not like the appearance, now I use my hydraulic oil out of my tractors. It is a little thinner and more transparent.

Latest posts