??? Value old 420U JD tractor in pieces ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
We have a running '57 JD 420-U here. Someone in the area has same model, 5-speed, in pieces -- started a rehab project and lost interest once he had it all apart. Major components are functional. Don't know about the sheet metal condition yet. I have no interest in re-building the tractor, but in spare parts. Could get it for about $600 ($400 less than advertised, and $1,600 less than what he paid for it as a project 2 yrs. ago). I'm thinking, "do it." I know all the moving parts, used, are iffy. Your thoughts, old tractor guys (old tractors -- not necessarily old guys!). Thx

Kathie in Thorp":2qs8in98 said:
We have a running '57 JD 420-U here. Someone in the area has same model, 5-speed, in pieces -- started a rehab project and lost interest once he had it all apart. Major components are functional. Don't know about the sheet metal condition yet. I have no interest in re-building the tractor, but in spare parts. Could get it for about $600 ($400 less than advertised, and $1,600 less than what he paid for it as a project 2 yrs. ago). I'm thinking, "do it." I know all the moving parts, used, are iffy. Your thoughts, old tractor guys (old tractors -- not necessarily old guys!). Thx

You will have a lot of money in properly storing these valuable parts till you need them.

john250":2488u5lv said:
Good. Dry is best. Space under a roof has costs, even if you already have it built.
Space/buildings are already here and dry! Been here and dry for years. (Until I moved over here, I never thought you could have enough storage/enough buildings. Do, now!)

Buy it?

Sheet metal is good/straight (have pics). Motor/5-speed tranny good, per seller. Front tires not great; tie rods not perfect. Couple other small issues, but major parts are good and clean. Bought it.

$600 is a good buy. If the sheet metal is in good shape, you could sell the hood & front grill for $1000 on eBay. I would keep the parts you might need, scrap the heavy cast housings & sell the rest of the parts on eBay.

for that price theres no q.buy it an store it all.then years to come sell what you didnt use.

bigbull338":3fj8lvvo said:
for that price theres no q.buy it an store it all.then years to come sell what you didnt use.
We bought it. Will haul it home end of the month, when we're done messing around w/ hauling hay. Thanks, everyone.

Latest posts