V10 vs Diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Well.....yall know that I am gunna say DIESEL

Get ya a Duramax if you are gunna get a big ol pickup.

If ur running that small of an operation I would go get you a silverado 1500...the HEAVY HALF Z71. The heavy half Z71 is built as tough as a 2500 and if you get the bigger motor it will pull a house down and handle a load just as good. If you are hauling a big load and the rear end gets to going side to side just put it in 4 high and it will handle it better. But I would only get the heavy half Z71 on an operation like yours.

Our operation we can only run diesel 4x4 duallies and they get wore out within 4 to 5 years.

Right on cfpinz. I've got a fairly new Duramax that has one of them fancy fuel calculators and overall average is 16.7 mpg even after towing a 17,000 (+) lbs load from Houston to Uvalde two weekends ago and that trip average was 7.3 MPG - which might still be better than a V10 towing the same load.

I am well pleased with the diesel and would recommend it to anyone.

I would recommend the diesel due to longevity,mileage, torque, resale value, etc. We've got a 2000 F350 7.3( 2WD ) and a 2001 Excursion 7.3 ( 4WD) and haven't had any issues with either one.The F350 gets better mileage since it's lighter weight.However, I heard less than good comments on the 6.0 when it came out and now Ford is changing to the 6.4L in the next year or two so who knows. I sure would hate to be Ford's first year guinea pig on the 6.4.

Pulled bulls and Belgians out of Wyoming with my 96 power stroke and it had 296,000 miles on the original motor and trans. Since we did that I am sold on the power stroke.

I know for a fact you buy a dodge (none of my immediate family members nor I have one) and you will go through transmitions before you go through a engine I know of two guys in arizona and missouri who have never been happier. One guy has gone through three trannies but has not had a single problem with the diesel yet. Distant cousins have two diesels worst part is that you gata plug em in during the winter. In my opinion my fathers and all who have ever owned both gas and diesel they all say diesel is the way to go (me and dad just cant afford it :( ) Good luck.

fojokin, you'd best rediscover some of your _facts_. Dodge automatics have no higher failure rate than D-maxes and only a slighter higher failure rate than Fords. This comes from years of working with all the diesels, not just a few, and also from a friend whose worked in the transmission field for over 25 years and owned a diesel transmission shop for the last 10. The biggest problem with Dodge owners losing transmissions is that they fail to RTFM. It specifically states in the manual that towing in OD is hard on the OD portion of the trans. You can hardly blame the transmission for the failings of the owners.

As far as plugging them in, you're posting inaccurate information from the days of glow plugs. Since the introduction of manifold heaters, diesels are just as likely to start in cold weather as gas engines. My ex-partner and I owned 23 diesels since 1988, and to a truck, the ones with manifold heat didn't need to be plugged in any earlier than gas engined trucks. When it hits -20, any vehicle had better be plugged in because starting them in that kind of cold is simply hard on them. But if the power goes out and you need the truck in an emergency, the diesel will fire up by simply cycling the manifold heaters 2 or 3 times.

Rod

Latest posts