V10 vs Diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Hopefully in the near future I will be looking to buy a used Ford 250, debating the V10 Gas motor vs the Diesel.

I do already know that if a person is going to pull lots of weight for lots of miles then the Diesel would be the hands down winner. But I only have 20 head and keep all heifer at moment so for me a load is a few steers to market 35 miles away and every once and awhile trip to vet 3 miles away.

What got me thinking was last night were I got gas Diesel was 42 cents higher than unleaded. It has been consistently 20-40 cents higher around here. Wonder if this would maybe make the V10 gas motor at least get some more consideration?

What you all think?

I had a V10 it got 12 mpg . The diesel I have now gets 20 mpg.
But you can buy a used v10 alot cheeper than a diesel.

WORANCH":2rs4oyux said:
I had a V10 it got 12 mpg . The diesel I have now gets 20 mpg.
But you can buy a used v10 alot cheeper than a diesel.

If a person got the mileage that you listed it would be cheaper to operate a Diesel even if gas was 42 cents per gallon higher for Diesel

If you drove 30,000 miles and paid 42 cents higher for diesel the Diesel would save you $2,270.00 in fuel cost. That is pretty nice savings.

Anyone else have experiance showing the V10 getting around 12 mpg and the Diesel getting 20 mpg?

Diesel- your gonna run longer with more power and fair fuel mileage and your gonna empty your pockets for parts if you keep it for the long haul, those engines are not cheap

Gas-Cost a little more to run and you don't have the pulling "power" but, if you keep it for the long haul a major engine rebuild will only cost half the money of the diesel.

Just my opinions and I tend to stick by the diesel because of the pulling power.

Anyone else have experiance showing the V10 getting around 12 mpg and the Diesel getting 20 mpg?

Have an old chevy dually w/454 that gets 7-8 MPG.

Also have a 96 ford 250 with a Powerstroke that gets 18.

The difference in a gas and diesel is longevity and the diesel is not as apt to overheat in hot weather while towing a load.

Who knows what this new diesel fuel is gonna do to the price of fuel in the future?

It's a hard decision aplus.

aplusmnt":1bihly1e said:
Hopefully in the near future I will be looking to buy a used Ford 250, debating the V10 Gas motor vs the Diesel.

I do already know that if a person is going to pull lots of weight for lots of miles then the Diesel would be the hands down winner. But I only have 20 head and keep all heifer at moment so for me a load is a few steers to market 35 miles away and every once and awhile trip to vet 3 miles away.

What got me thinking was last night were I got gas Diesel was 42 cents higher than unleaded. It has been consistently 20-40 cents higher around here. Wonder if this would maybe make the V10 gas motor at least get some more consideration?

What you all think?

I favor the V-10. It's never short on power pulling my 16 ft trailer. Gets 12 mpg or thereabout. Less $ to buy and maintain. And it's QUIET, which none of the diesels can claim. Also, if you off road much, it's several pounds lighter on the front axle. Might make the difference on soft ground.

Sounds like you should just get an F-150. Less cost and still get 17 mpg and more than capable of pulling 10 - 15 head to the sale barn occasionally.

Subsoil":du4ql056 said:
Sounds like you should just get an F-150. Less cost and still get 17 mpg and more than capable of pulling 10 - 15 head to the sale barn occasionally.

Absolutely ! If you're only making a few trips per year, then don't waste a bunch of money buying a huge truck that is doing nothing for you 50 weeks per year. That money is better spent on things around the farm - i.e. fencing, tools, tractor maintenance. I see a lot of 'newbies' rolling in with a new 3/4 ton diesel and a huge gooseneck to unload the two calves they've produced this year. These are also the guys that take FOREVER to back into the loading chute - don't get me started on that !!
Sorry about the rant ! Spend money on something that you'll need and use more often...

Subsoil":1averw34 said:

I realize a 16' trailer makes me sound like a hobbyist. Did I mention the fertilizer buggies and wagons? I've used F-150's and wore them plumb out. 250 handles it all a lot better.

Subsoil":1wg9ae8o said:

Maybe this would work, but on occasion I do load one down pretty heavy. I did not mention that I want to be able to load say 6 big Mules and head to New Mexico to ride. A few times a year we haul a pretty heavy loaded down 20 ft goose neck with mules and usually head to some mountains somewhere.

This is not that often but when it does happen, I do not think a 150 would hold the load. The v10 would pull it I am sure not as good as diesel but would work.

I love hearing what people get out of their diesel trucks, the numbers vary so much. I've got a 97 7.3 and it might get 18 or so empty if you keep your foot out of it and under 60mph. But with a load of cattle or a big tractor, it averages 9 to 11 mpg. I have two old 6.9s, one gets 16 and the other 11 or less.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2pcd4oiu said:
I love hearing what people get out of their diesel trucks, the numbers vary so much. I've got a 97 7.3 and it might get 18 or so empty if you keep your foot out of it and under 60mph. But with a load of cattle or a big tractor, it averages 9 to 11 mpg. I have two old 6.9s, one gets 16 and the other 11 or less.

cfpinz

I've got a 2000 that loaded or empty still gets around 14. It probably wouldn;t do any better if it was being towed with the engine turned off

dun

dun":2tk4salm said:
cfpinz":2tk4salm said:

cfpinz

I've got a 2000 that loaded or empty still gets around 14. It probably wouldn;t do any better if it was being towed with the engine turned off

dun

Is that a 2000 Ford F250 diesel you have? Auto or Standard?

cfpinz":ak0l773a said:

cfpinz

If the mileage numbers I see reported on this board and others by diesel truck users were all true there wouldn't be a fuel shortage. :lol:

aplusmnt":2i38u6tx said:
dun":2i38u6tx said:
cfpinz":2i38u6tx said:

cfpinz

dun

7.3 auto. It used to get around 11 until I chipped it. Now it tows better and gets better fuel mileage

dun

Is that a 2000 Ford F250 diesel you have? Auto or Standard?

cfpinz":1p1gmx1u said:

cfpinz
Is it 4 wheel drive? I have a 2 wheel drive2001 Dodge Cummings diesel get 22 MPG hwy. I met another guy that had the same year model that only got 18 but he had 4 wheel drive.
My truck came with one of those fancy little things that tells you what you fuel mileage is, so It could be lying to me but that is what I've been going by.

Tod Dague":3lluau7g said:
cfpinz":3lluau7g said:

cfpinz
Is it 4 wheel drive? I have a 2 wheel drive2001 Dodge Cummings diesel get 22 MPG hwy. I met another guy that had the same year model that only got 18 but he had 4 wheel drive.
My truck came with one of those fancy little things that tells you what you fuel mileage is, so It could be lying to me but that is what I've been going by.

All three are F350 4wd sticks, the 97 has OD, the others do not. The 87 has 350k on it and has 3.55s, others are 4.10s.

john250 - The numbers I gave were what they actually get, I lost the desire to impress others a long time ago. I went to Pennsylvania a few years back and picked up an 11000lb tractor with the 97. Truck averaged 9 between going up with an empty gooseneck and dragging the thing home loaded. I'll let you do the guesses as to how bad it sucked on the way home.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3u0sdkzn said:

I know it seems odd, but those mileage figures really do vary that much in real life, with the possible exception of some insanely high numbers like those guys who swear they get 28 mpg from their 4WD 3500s. When reading mileage figures, its important to note auto/standard (.5 mpg difference average), differential ratio (A Cummins with 4.10s will average 1 mpg less than one with 3.55s at 65 mph), average road speed (this is a biggy. Even driving 10 mph over the trucks sweet spot can net 1 - 2 mpg drop), location (southern diesel is much heavier than northern, even in the summer), Imp or US gallons (20% size difference), style of 4WD (full-time versus one with central axle disconnects or lockable hubs), 4WD vs 2WD, and so on.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":23l5wyml said:
cfpinz":23l5wyml said:

I know it seems odd, but those mileage figures really do vary that much in real life, with the possible exception of some insanely high numbers like those guys who swear they get 28 mpg from their 4WD 3500s. When reading mileage figures, its important to note auto/standard (.5 mpg difference average), differential ratio (A Cummins with 4.10s will average 1 mpg less than one with 3.55s at 65 mph), average road speed (this is a biggy. Even driving 10 mph over the trucks sweet spot can net 1 - 2 mpg drop), location (southern diesel is much heavier than northern, even in the summer), Imp or US gallons (20% size difference), style of 4WD (full-time versus one with central axle disconnects or lockable hubs), 4WD vs 2WD, and so on.

Rod

Elevation and terrain probably play a large part, say vs what I would get in KS that is all flat and what someone in Colorado might get with higher elevation and hilly terrain.

But most differences are probably from some that do not know for sure how to check there mileage or estimate instead of a strict figuring. Or just good old fashion Fish stories.

Plus each individual vehicle varies, my work van gets never less than 16 but has got as high as 19, usually it is between the two around 17. I check it probably every week.

Latest posts