V wheel rake selection ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am looking for a good used 8 wheel V rake. Mostly H&S, followed by Vermeer, and a few JD, V rakes available in this area. A few are hydraulic fold. H&S is a bit lower in price.

Any reason to favor one of these brands over the others?

Is there such a thing? Seems like majority of them have the bushings and bearings shot in them, that is why they trade them off. Neighbour have a Vermeer that he was trying to sell last year, about 5 years old. He was open and honest that everything was getting too much slop in it.

I was thinking about a 12 wheel high capacity H&S, but I think now I will hold off for a new R2300 Vermeer. I need to be able to rake wet hay at times.

A neighbor bought a new V rake and his Dad decided to clean up the road ditches - - wrapping the new rake around a telephone pole. My favorite rake 4 sale ad says "some welding".

I am not sure how you wear it out a rake in 5 years. Is Vermeer built that light?

This doesn't answer your question, but I think Aaron is on the right track holding out for a Vermeer R2300. If you get a chance to try one out, do so. It is amazing how such a large cumbersome looking piece of machinery can tread so lightly.

Neighbors stopped by to look at my R2300. They have a H&S rake. Say it likes to pile up a glob of hay every so often before it works through. Can't seem to figure out the cure for that.

I :heart: my R2300. Only wish I had space to keep it under cover in the off season. A machine shed should be on my to-do list. :idea:

Stocker Steve":3dwt9q6e said:
A neighbor bought a new V rake and his Dad decided to clean up the road ditches - - wrapping the new rake around a telephone pole. My favorite rake 4 sale ad says "some welding".

I am not sure how you wear it out a rake in 5 years. Is Vermeer built that light?
yes the vermeer wr20 rakes are built that lite.we bought a wr20 8 wheel rake that the paint is like new for $1500.the rake was only used once or twice to rake 20acs.then it was parked and never used again.so we are hoping we can get 5yrs out of it before it falls a part.

bigbull338":3jnficcn said:
Stocker Steve":3jnficcn said:

yes the vermeer wr20 rakes are built that lite.we bought a wr20 8 wheel rake that the paint is like new for $1500.the rake was only used once or twice to rake 20acs.then it was parked and never used again.so we are hoping we can get 5yrs out of it before it falls a part.

I have been using the same rake for 14 years. 200 acres a year. Yes they will fall a part. You just have to maintain any equipment. I have replaced rake teeth. and last year had the wheels on for $65 and I replaced all eight. For the money it has been a pretty good rake. I doubt that you would have any luck trying to rake hay grazer or millet. Patches of Johnson grass will give you a fit.

I have an H & S V-rake in a 10 wheel. I have used it for probably 100 acres a year for the last 4 or 5 years. Have not had any problems with it. I think its a good machine. In really heavy hay I have had it wad up as it tries to go out the back. I widen the back out just a hair if I need to. Im raking two 12 foot swaths together. The other day I had so much hay I could barely get over it with the tractor and the round baler was just gobbling it up.

I really like our Kuhn 8 wheel speed rake that we have had for 3 years but we have talked about up grading to a high capacity rake. Just don't do what our use to be hired hand did and back up with the wheels down :mad: .

i was looking at kuhn 10 or 12 wheel speed rake for 2yrs before we bought the used rake.but i just couldnt see spending $6000 at the time.

I have been looking at v rakes also. I seem to be leaning toward a new rhino rake they are build a lot like a Kuhn. A new 8 wheel is $4900.

pricefarm":1nymi632 said:
I have been looking at v rakes also. I seem to be leaning toward a new rhino rake they are build a lot like a Kuhn. A new 8 wheel is $4900.
+1 - I have the RC4564

John SD":3bb90dkr said:
This doesn't answer your question, but I think Aaron is on the right track holding out for a Vermeer R2300. If you get a chance to try one out, do so. It is amazing how such a large cumbersome looking piece of machinery can tread so lightly.

Neighbors stopped by to look at my R2300. They have a H&S rake. Say it likes to pile up a glob of hay every so often before it works through. Can't seem to figure out the cure for that.

I :heart: my R2300. Only wish I had space to keep it under cover in the off season. A machine shed should be on my to-do list. :idea:

John, I had the problem of it "globbing" up when I first bought my 12 wheel rake. The cure for me was to keep the front of the rake from pushing out in heavy hay. When the front pushes out the back closes up and the hay won't flow through. I put a ratchet strap across the front to keep the two side at a fixed distance and that solved the problem for me. Raked thirty acres of hay Saturday without even looking back.

I'm in the market for a new V rake as well. Pretty much all the new ones are high capacity from what I've seen. I've looked at a Kuhn, Pequea, and Durabilt. They are all about the same money so I think I'm gonna go with the Kuhn. Can't decide between an 8 or 10 wheel.

KW

tnwalkingred":39x8155n said:
I'm in the market for a new V rake as well. Pretty much all the new ones are high capacity from what I've seen. I've looked at a Kuhn, Pequea, and Durabilt. They are all about the same money so I think I'm gonna go with the Kuhn. Can't decide between an 8 or 10 wheel.

KW
Buy a 10 wheel Kuhn speed rake, you'll never wish you hadn't.

Latest posts