Ogden Hay Rake RCR112

Help Support CattleToday:

C-Ranch

Reaction score
Ok, I know there is an older thread out there, but I recently stumbled across the Ogden Hay rakes and like how the wheels are in front of the frame versus behind like on my SR 112 Kuhn speed rake. I have mostly liked the Kuhn rake may only complaint is it struggles in thick tonnage hay. It always wants to ball up at the end catching on the frame or last wheel bars. Thin grass or 3rd cutting Alfalfa no complaints, but I do more alfalfa and 3 way crops than grass. I'd really like a Darf rake, but can't justify the $40k price tag of a new one. The used one's around my area, well they are used for a reason..haha. Anyways I have no local dealer, but like the looks of the RCR-12 with the 60" wheels and tandem wheels. I'm tempted to order one, but hoping someone on here as bought one and share their experience with it. Thanks

Just from looking at the pictures I suspect you may have a similar problem with the Ogden, but the pinch point will be between the rake wheels and the carriage wheels. Our Vermeer is built similarly to it, and it will ball up from time to time. That is a medium capacity design, no matter the manufacturer, some trouble should be expected when trying to do a high-capacity job with it.

I would try to demo one if you can.

Last edited:
Just from looking at the pictures I suspect you may have a similar problem with the Ogden, but the pinch point will be between the rake wheels and the carriage wheels. Our Vermeer is built similarly to it, and it will ball up from time to time. That is a medium capacity design, no matter the manufacturer, some trouble should be expected when trying to do a high-capacity job with it.

I would try to demo one if you can.
What Vermeer model do you have? I've never had a problem with the tires as I'm already out pretty wide. It's always the last wheel and the frame is where it decides to ball up. So was hoping with the wheels mounted on the front of the frame it wouldn't ball. Dealer said the ground clearance is 35" and mine is only 26", but your right it's not designed like a Darf or Sitrex Pro. I'd really like to demo one, but nearest dealer is 13hrs, so don't think that will be an option.

I like the looks of the Ogden hybrid hay runner but the nearest dealer is 11 hours away. So like you there's no way I can try one out in my conditions.

Also looked at a Fair 1400 but they are nearly double the price of the Ogden and dealer is nowhere to be seen.

I like the looks of the Ogden hybrid hay runner but the nearest dealer is 11 hours away. So like you there's no way I can try one out in my conditions.

Also looked at a Fair 1400 but they are nearly double the price of the Ogden and dealer is nowhere to be seen.
I agree, Fair is I nice looking rake, but at a price tag of $32k it puts it closer in the range of a Sitrex Pro or a Darf.

What about a New Holland DuraVee? We bought one a few years ago and have yet to plug it. No real complaints other than the kicker wheels in the middle, I took them off after the first use.

What about a New Holland DuraVee? We bought one a few years ago and have yet to plug it. No real complaints other than the kicker wheels in the middle, I took them off after the first use.

I have looked the Duravee 1225 but I'd rather not have another set of wheel on the rake ends if I can avoid it. However, it looked like a good rake.

Latest posts