V Rake Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

Prefered brand/model of carted wheel rake

• Kuhn SR 100 GII Series

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • New Holland Procart Series (Rebadged Sitrex)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Vermeer VR Series

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

Tennessee Cattleman

Reaction score
I would like to poll fellow CT forum members on small 8-12 wheel carted wheel rakes with kicker wheel/wheels, used in grass hay. All rakes are close in price and come from good dealers. Comments are welcome.

Another Vermeer owner. It works pretty well but has some things that could be improved.

I really wish the wings could pivot independently, or that each was was suspended individually. Sometimes when you are rolling over a dip it will let a little slip by along the front or back, and it's very sensitive to drawbar height.

Occasionally I will have issues with it plugging, but it's a once in a while thing.

I would like to encourage everyone viewing this post to vote whether you own a listed V rake or have just seen them in action.

Last edited:
I run a JD 704, mostly because everything I own is green. Works awesome.
My rake folds like a scissor, I prefer it over the other style wheel rakes where the wheels go up and over. Transport width is about 8ft.
Kicker is hit and miss, it's mounted behind the V so it has to roll the entire windrow. Which is good in light crop so it tightens it up, without it I've had spots with two little rows with a gap between, hard to shape a bale that way. But in heavy crop the kicker wheel turns into a plow, I usually take it off.

We have a 14 wheel H & S v-rake. Love the adjustment in and out because I try to rake around some ledge and rocks and big groundhog holes.... Can catch 3 widrows if it is light but needs to be on pretty flat easy ground for that. Each side is independent of the other for high and low spots in the fields. A few people say they think they are a little light but I have really gotten to where it is my first choice for raking except for the places that have alot of corners and odd shapes. Hydraulic up and down and in and out. Pulls good on the road. When we get into the real small tighter little fields I go back to the old faithful.... Farmall H and the side delivery (roller bar) rake.

Pick your favorite brand so long as it has independent suspended rake wheels. The ones like the Kuhn with the wheels mounted in tandem don't follow the ground as well and don't handle higher speeds as well, also no adjustment for down pressure on each wheel.

Pick your favorite brand so long as it has independent suspended rake wheels. The ones like the Kuhn with the wheels mounted in tandem don't follow the ground as well and don't handle higher speeds as well, also no adjustment for down pressure on each wheel.
Yes I have a Kuhn and it works ok but wish I had one with the independent wheels. Looked at a new brand the other day that the local JD had on the lot. The name escapes me right now but I really liked its design and how it was built. Feel like it came from a weld shop in Nebraska maybe.

found them

Last edited:
Don't really have a favorite. The Newish Holland Procart is a good rake at a decent price point. The latest revision of the Pequea MCR looks like they corrected some of the issues mine has had. Kuhn has the SR300 rake that would be worth a look.

Personally I've been eye balling the Ogden hybrid hay runner for probably 8 years now. When it comes time to demote my current Pequea that will probably be top of my list.

Well I can't vote yet, but got this today Kuhn SR110 speed rake at auction from property that was sold by the court as the guy died last year and the 4 kids fought tooth and nail for everything to be sold. He had 4 nice JD tractors with a couple Tier zero ones that rang the bell.

I got it for a price if I don't like it will go back to auction and I should not lose.

lc9M4kf.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts