3 Point Fifth Wheel

Help Support CattleToday:

2Bigfoots

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone can weigh in on a project I've been contemplating.
I have been thinking of making a rack that mounts on to my 3 point hitch similar to a quick hitch, that has a fifth wheel hitch on it to receive a kingpin.
My thought is that I can back up to the trailer, click it in, lift the 3 point and drive away, thus having the ability to drop it off to load bales without my truck and/or another person.
In theory I think it should work but was curious if bouncing down the road would prematurely cause any damage to seals and such? Or anything else for that matter.
I've talked to my local John Deere guys and they said they have no clue and wouldn't give me an answer either way.
The tractor is a JD 7400 and the trailer is a 32 foot triple axle.
Loaded up I can't see the tongue weight being anywhere near the 3pt lift limits.
I've googled it and can't seem to find anyone that's done it with the exception of one to be used in a lot for moving trailers.
Let me know your thoughts please.
Thanks

Unless I'm not following, its pretty common. There are a lot of them on the market, though most are made for goosenecks instead of fifth wheel. Most people know have one laying around, they're pretty handy.

A crappy picture, but one like this to take the weight off the tractor

resize.php

Here is one you could could use on your tractor loader with skid steer quick attach hookup.

Last edited:
It'll work in a pinch, but may not be something you want to rely on. All of that weight up high and behind the axle will make the front of the tractor light. A dolly is the best way.

It'll work in a pinch, but may not be something you want to rely on. All of that weight up high and behind the axle will make the front of the tractor light. A dolly is the best way.
Well my tractor is approx 15k lbs with loader and grapple plus a bale or two on the front at 1200 lbs each when I'm hauling hay.
The lift capacity on the 3pt is 6850 lbs and at most the tongue weight might reach 5000 but I'd doubt that.
So I'm not really concerned about making the front end light.
My only concern as I originally stated is the potential wear on the hitch bouncing down a few miles of bumpy gravel road at a max of 18 mph.

I've done it several times without a problem. Very efficient way to move hay
I haul my 32' gooseneck on a 3pt attachment all the time loaded up with 19 bales. Using a big tractor so I have no concerns about the front end of the tractoIve
Unless I'm not following, its pretty common. There are a lot of them on the market, though most are made for goosenecks instead of fifth wheel. Most people know have one laying around, they're pretty handy.
Thanks for the feed back.
I've mentioned it around here to several people who all think it's a good idea but nobody has ever seen it done before so that's why I came here.
As I mentioned, my only concern in the potential for premature wear on seals and such.

The load is no different than a big sprayer or toolbar on the 3pt.
Yes I thought the same.
For the most part, until recently, a 3pt on larger tractors sold in Canada was almost nonexistent. Many have the idea that they are meant for smaller tractors (under 60hp) and implements.
Mine is an American tractor and many here are surprised to see a 3pt on it. I'm not sure why. Thus the reason for my inquiry.

I only have the 3pt hardware on one of my +100hp tractors. I use it on the discbine swivel hitch , GN trailer mover, and bale unroller in the winter. 3pt arms are the death of PTO shafts so I remove them when not needed.

Yes I thought the same.
For the most part, until recently, a 3pt on larger tractors sold in Canada was almost nonexistent. Many have the idea that they are meant for smaller tractors (under 60hp) and implements.
Mine is an American tractor and many here are surprised to see a 3pt on it. I'm not sure why. Thus the reason for my inquiry.
Not sure a 3pt on a larger tractor is a rarity in Canada, I've rarely seen any tractor without one aside from older tractors (80's and older vintage) and 4wds. I've been around.lots of JD's close to your 7400's vintage - multiple 7410's, 7600, 7420's, 7610, 6400's, 6410's and 6420's and I've never seen one without a 3pt.

I agree you'll be fine with the weight and shouldn't damage anything pulling a trailer on it, I've done it in the past. Still have a gooseneck ball on my 3 point fork if I need to pull a stock trailer through the mud or something. I personally wouldn't pull a trailer load of.hay down the road without locking the hitch so I had to get out anyway when I did it. Also found the 3pt hitch ball on the fork I used was higher than a truck so often I had to be careful what hole I pinned on my jacks or next time I went to use a truck on that trailer I was having to Jack it or get a tractor to lower it. Because my trailer was getting old and I found it wasn't as convenient as I thought I went to a trailer that hauls more bales on a dolly eventually.

The only problem I ever had was with the jack on the trailer. I've got a 25' gooseneck with a single jack and a long time ago I set it down to unload and the roll pin on the top gear broke and let the jack slip down. We unloaded it and welded the gear back and no more trouble. All my other trailers have twin jacks. I probably wouldn't buy a trailer without twin jacks again.

If you can, I'd try and change it to a gooseneck hitch, 5th wheel hitches do NOT like to flex side to side (unless you have a really expensive one that's specially designed), and this can put a lot of stress on stuff when driving over a rough field.. they're intended for pavement princess holiday trailers that want to look like big rigs, Gooseneck hitches are designed for work in the places work gets done and allow flex in any axis

I wouldn't worry about being hard on the 3 pt unless you're bouncing enough to unload the hitch and have it slam back down

I went this direction. I borrowed a trailer like this from a neighbor one time where he replaced the clevis on the trailer with a pintle ring and he had a pintle hitch mounted on a 3 point mount that went on the tractor with a rope you pulled to release the latch. You dropped the 3 point as you backed up and lifted to hook up. Drop the 3 point and pull the rope to unhook. All from the cab.

Doesn't do you much good if you already have the trailer and don't want to buy another. Guy I work for has the dolly part as a stand alone thing to convert from gooseneck to clevis - we put it on the trailer if we want to use it w/ a tractor. Lots of ways to skin a cat.PXL_20210829_173626743.jpgPXL_20210829_173741285.MP.jpg

That would be a pretty handy wagon if a man stayed close to the home farm all the time Mr Rydero.

They make an automatic Clevis style hitch that I saw at the farm show. Looked handy as pants pockets for something like that especially if you work alone. Wasn't cheap but if I used wagons I would own one.

That would be a pretty handy wagon if a man stayed close to the home farm all the time Mr Rydero.

They make an automatic Clevis style hitch that I saw at the farm show. Looked handy as pants pockets for something like that especially if you work alone. Wasn't cheap but if I used wagons I would own one.

Onelonelyfarmer on Youtube has something like that on his hay wagons. Looks like it works pretty slick, especially for steering wagons that are hard to hook up when loaded.

Latest posts