Using old semen can be fun but.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Cows that don't become a bit defensive when the have a calf don't stay around here very long.
I've got one old rip that two weeks before she calves will come across the pasture if she hears a calf bawl and let you know she doesn't appreciate you being there. For a month after she calves she will make a believer out of you. No back down.
About one more year and she will age out.

A little defensive and no back down is one thing. Bunting and knocking me down is another.

I have come across some 30 year old semen, thought would be fun to give it a try. Used it on a good cow with excellent feet......this is what i got.

At least You aren't making excuses for her. If she didn't have long toes she is a long way from ideal. Yes Woodhill Foresight is known for bad feet. The old stuff isn't always as great as some remember.

At least You aren't making excuses for her. If she didn't have long toes she is a long way from ideal. Yes Woodhill Foresight is known for bad feet. The old stuff isn't always as great as some remember.
ALWAYS: do your homework on old bulls. They can also be terrible in disposition, create daughters that are calf killers ... and yet they are still the historic greats and major Angus herds still ooh and aah over them today. They sell that influence for a lot of money to the unknowing. It's best to know.

I think it looks like founder also, which is more of a management issue imho. Some of the old genetics I have used founder more easily, but also are easier fleshing, and breed back better. Some of the old angus genetics I have used have thrown as good of feet as anything. Old genetics seem to have more character, people used to linebreed more and the animals would start to take the ideal type of that breeders vision. Many breeders now seem to lack vision....
I wouldnt call it a management issue if the animals were treated the way Redgully intended. Some animals fit the system and some don't. This doesnt mean you need to change the system - just remove the ones that don't fit and make room for those that do.

I wouldnt call it a management issue if the animals were treated the way Redgully intended. Some animals fit the system and some don't. This doesnt mean you need to change the system - just remove the ones that don't fit and make room for those that do.
I agree with that; I was not trying to imply that redgully did anything wrong.

ALWAYS: do your homework on old bulls. They can also be terrible in disposition, create daughters that are calf killers ... and yet they are still the historic greats and major Angus herds still ooh and aah over them today. They sell that influence for a lot of money to the unknowing. It's best to know.
I agree with that. Our commercial herd is going forward with a bull that all four branches of the family tree contain Leachman Right Time. The first daughters are calving and they are the kind you want more of. His feet are as ideal as you can make them and the udders on the daughters are as good as you will find. I have looked for awhile to find this type of bull and likely couldn't find a bull with this pedigree anywhere.

Our commercial herd is going forward with a bull that all four branches of the family tree contain Leachman Right Time.
Seems like an expensive semen choice for a commercial herd but, he should work well as long as you like tall cattle and don't retain ownership of the calves through the feedlot or sell them on a grid marketing system.

Seems like an expensive semen choice for a commercial herd but, he should work well as long as you like tall cattle and don't retain ownership of the calves through the feedlot or sell them on a grid marketing system.
Not sure I understand your statement. The registration no. Is 18762372. I own the bull semen costs less than $5 unit to collect. He is a mid 5 to upper 5 frame bull. He will be breed average or slightly higher marbling so I guess I am a bit confused by your statement. The chase to make all AnGus prime is a wasted effort in my opinion as the resulting females are not very environmentally friendly for our location.

Not sure I understand your statement. The registration no. Is 18762372. I own the bull semen costs less than $5 unit to collect. He is a mid 5 to upper 5 frame bull. He will be breed average or slightly higher marbling so I guess I am a bit confused by your statement. The chase to make all AnGus prime is a wasted effort in my opinion as the resulting females are not very environmentally friendly for our location.
This is the bull I thought you were going to use. Frame 7, low marbling.

Leachman Right Time's EPDs should have some accuracy -- his MW and MH would not tend to be large framed, narrow cattle. My own limited experience says they are fairly average for mature frame size and weight. The daughters and granddaughters seem to be really good cows that you can take any direction you want. I like your bull W.B.

Leachman Right Time's EPDs should have some accuracy -- his MW and MH would not tend to be large framed, narrow cattle. My own limited experience says they are fairly average for mature frame size and weight. The daughters and granddaughters seem to be really good cows that you can take any direction you want. I like your bull W.B.
Thank you. He ran here for 3 breeding seasons. I sold possession back to Spickler ranch north last year. There is a picture of him in their Semen brochure. The longevity of the cows on both sides of his pedigree is uncommon in today's seed stock world. We are going to AI a third of our cowherd to him this summer.

I'm currently running three bulls out of 70's bulls. This one 18755220 is making as good of daughters as I have seen. The other two sires out of Franchester of Wye are making nice cattle as well. I think the angus breed over looked some genetics in the past when the frame race took off.

i agree the frame race caused the elimination of some of the best cattle of that timeframe. I witnessed it in the Hereford breed also. So what is the frame score of the progeny of the older Wye bulls?

i agree the frame race caused the elimination of some of the best cattle of that timeframe. I witnessed it in the Hereford breed also. So what is the frame score of the progeny of the older Wye bulls?
I have only used Franchester for older Wye genetics, he seems to breed like a 6.3 ish frame bull. The bulls I use out of him are 6 frame and 6.8 frame.

I am not sure if this will work, but if it does I am posting a picture of the Right Time bull that WB used, and which he refers to in his post. The picture is from the Spickler North semen catalog. He is near the top of the breed for weaning weight, docility, feet and PAP. I'd use him.
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.18.05 AM.png

That is a pretty nice cow making pedigree there

Thank you Katpau. 7861's pedigree is full of long lived productive cows. His data is limited as he spent the last 3 breeding seasons on my commercial cows. Spicklers are expecting about 50 calves by him this Spring. He will see heavy natural service in their herd this coming season as they bought possession back on him. We calved his first daughters here this spring and we think enough of them to make a bunch more. I believe he is a bit unique to say the least.

I've got one old rip that two weeks before she calves will come across the pasture if she hears a calf bawl and let you know she doesn't appreciate you being there. For a month after she calves she will make a believer out of you. No back down.
About one more year and she will age out.
Does that kind of attitude pass down through genetics? I'm curious if you've kept any heifers out of her or avoid keeping her heifer calves so you don't end up with multiple rips. Trying to learn somethin' new. Thanks.

Latest posts