Old bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Springfieldsimm

Reaction score
I'm watching a semen tank sell tonight and here is the list of semen included.
OCC Homer 5
HC Hummer 10
Hart The Factor 10
Circle T Antoinette Star 10
WS Hot Beef 10
Harts Black Oasis 10
GLS Combination 10
HTP Ivy League 10
OMF Ringleader 10
GWS Rendition 10
BBS True Justice 5
Heads Up 10
Triple C El Ponderosa Rey 10
WLE Quota 10
WLE Power 10
OMF Long Cut 10

They all seem like old bulls. Is any of it worth anything?

I remember most of those. Some pretty popular "in their time". Long Cut was a big frame red bull. As I remember, only shown one time as a 2 year old after pasture breeding cows. Grand Champion at Denver first and only time shown.

WLE Power is an incomplete name. There are only 2 bulls in the registry whose names begin that way and are eligible for AI use. Could be WLE Power R784. Or WLE Power Stroke who is the sire of HC Power Drive and HC Hummer. Power Stroke was a more moderate bull. Mature weight about 1900#. That might be the most desirable semen in the list if it is powerstroke.

BBS True Justice is probably the youngest bull in the list (2014). Genex bull. He has "modern" epd's.

OCC Homer is the only angus bull on the list.

Issue is - are those bulls better than modern bulls? Comparing epd's, the answer would be mostly no. Most high birth weight, but also lower growth. Comparing phenotype, depends on what you are looking for. Longcut is a big frame muscular bull, but with lots of air underneath. True justice only has pictures as a yearling. Never seen an updated picture, which leaves me suspicious. Pretty heavy use early and then much less use. Homer is an OCC bull - some love them and some don't.

Edited to remove an incorrect photo. Thanks to @FlyingLSimmentals for his better memory.

Long Cut
1699408268121.jpeg

OCC Homer
1699408389840.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember most of those. Some pretty popular "in their time". Long Cut was a big frame red bull. As I remember, only shown one time as a 2 year old after pasture breeding cows. Grand Champion at Denver first and only time shown.

WLE Power is an incomplete name. There are only 2 bulls in the registry whose names begin that way and are eligible for AI use. Could be WLE Power R784. Or WLE Power Stroke who is the sire of HC Power Drive and HC Hummer. Power Stroke was a more moderate bull. Mature weight about 1900#. That might be the most desirable semen in the list if it is powerstroke.

BBS True Justice is probably the youngest bull in the list (2014). Genex bull. He has "modern" epd's.

Issue is - are those bulls better than modern bulls? Comparing epd's, the answer would be mostly no. Most high birth weight, but also lower growth. Comparing phenotype, depends on what you are looking for. Longcut is a big frame muscular bull, but with lots of air underneath. Power stroke is heavy fronted. True justice only has pictures as a yearling. Never seen an updated picture, which leaves me suspicious. Pretty heavy use early and then much less use. Homer is an OCC bull - some love them and some don't.
Power Stroke:
View attachment 36744

Long Cut
View attachment 36747

OCC Homer
View attachment 36748
Think that is a pic of Goldmine the Power Stroke son.

Issue is - are those bulls better than modern bulls? Comparing epd's, the answer would be mostly no. Most high birth weight, but also lower growth. Comparing phenotype, depends on what you are looking for. Longcut is a big frame muscular bull, but with lots of air underneath. True justice only has pictures as a yearling. Never seen an updated picture, which leaves me suspicious. Pretty heavy use early and then much less use. Homer is an OCC bull - some love them and some don't.

Edited to remove an incorrect photo. Thanks to @FlyingLSimmentals for his better memory.

Long Cut
View attachment 36747

OCC Homer
View attachment 36748
Thanks for the feedback. I went through tonight and looked up all of them and looked at their epds. Really interesting to look at the old pedigrees. Don't know if I will ever use much any of it like I had posted before I got it for the price of the tank so I don't really have anything in it. May stick a straw or 2 in just to see what happens.

If you have power stroke I would find a place to use it if I were you. He was/is very influential, among others he's the sire to Trademark, who sired Rendition on your list. Trademark was a heck of a bull. It would be very interesting to see how he would do on some modern breeding. Look at the Leachman 600U stuff that @simme has been doing, the time tested bulls still have their place.

I just reread this, Power Drive is mentioned here too. I might be interested in it if you don't use it, I have a couple of Beacon daughters I could use it on.

Power Stroke sons that I remember:
SS Goldmine L42
HC Hummer 12M
GWS Ebonys Trademark 6N
HC Power Drive 88H
KSU Venom 101M
PVF-CW Rapid Fire 0195K

All those were pretty heavily used. Given that the list of semen says "WLE Power", I am thinking that might be the WLE Power R784 bull - a simangus bull with 53 progeny recorded. But if the semen is from the powerstroke bull, it deserves to be used.

Notice that the semen list includes HC Hummer 12M. He is a powerstroke son and still has decent epd's and is the sire of the genex bull RC Club King 040R - a high growth bull still being used today. Someone might want to use some of that Hummer as well.

Latest posts