Using old semen can be fun but.....

Help Support CattleToday:

The full answer on disposition: "it depends". You have to see if it follows over to the next generation. That is one of the expenses of raising your own lines and replacements.

Does that kind of attitude pass down through genetics? I'm curious if you've kept any heifers out of her or avoid keeping her heifer calves so you don't end up with multiple rips. Trying to learn somethin' new. Thanks.
Yes, that overly "Strong" maternal attitude is typically inherited .
I think it's Net Worth daughters that have a known attitude problem when the calve.
Being aggressive is only part environmental, lots to do with genetics.

Maternal attitude is one of the main reasons why I am using the Right Time bull previously mentioned. They are very low key when they calve but concerned enough to follow a calf when you want to move them. I guess when you have used enough of the mainstream Angus bulls the difference is quite large. I want good mothers that don't get amped up a calving no matter the situation. We have enough cows that cross claimers are not very welcome here and over aggressive towards people is unacceptable.

I don't think you will be disappointed. He represents his pedigree well. Anyone who sees him in person is impressed by his foot shape and quality.

Thanks for the responses to my question, I'll be watchful of the heifers when they calve out and see if any act aggressive. The older cows that have calved seem pretty relaxed but always know where they've got their calves stashed away at.

I have come across some 30 year old semen, thought would be fun to give it a try. Used it on a good cow with excellent feet......this is what i got.
been flushing, ivf'g with old 1968-1980 birth date maine anjou bulls on a cow that is a direct daughter from a bull around then. she makes a decent amount of embryo's no matter what, so been using a variety. nice deep cow. been using "calving ease" bulls on her like Dada.

been flushing, ivf'g with old 1968-1980 birth date maine anjou bulls on a cow that is a direct daughter from a bull around then. she makes a decent amount of embryo's no matter what, so been using a variety. nice deep cow. been using "calving ease" bulls on her like Dada.
As far as I know ALL cows are direct daughters from "bull(s) around then (1968-1980)"

Unless time travel is real... lol

As far as I know ALL cows are direct daughters from "bull(s) around then (1968-1980)"

Unless time travel is real... lol
So where are all the bull of the month calves coming from if all cows today are direct daughters of bulls from 1968-1980?
I sure see a ton of pedigrees of cows whose sires where born way after 1980!

Both Angus bulls from the 1980s. Scotch Cap was widely used... was a fraternal half-sib to the Lovana bull (both sons of PS Power Play), and the sire of Papa Durabull 9805.

regarding fullblood maine's. a few cows came over as well obviously.

yes, the breed is bottlenecked. some current breeders are using french genetics from around 2000 to present.

still, not many. the cow mentioned above, is just an attempt to not have cunia, cross with less prominent early bulls, add some calving ease, potentially marbling, etc., the usual throwback attempts.

Latest posts