Semen for 24

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
Finally ordered what maybe the last semen for 24. Ordered Jet Black and Connealy Armory for heifers. Will use mostly Jet Black. Will have a lot of replacements sired by Growth Fund sons. Stock Fund and a son we bought. Been told Jet Black crosses well on them. Have a few straws of Stock Fund left I plan to use.
Ordered Musgrave Rob Roy to use on cows. Also have a few straws of Double Decker and Bloodline left I will use. Have some Iconic and Drag Iron I may dump. We were disappointed in our Drag Irons and the one calf we got sired by Dow Jones. So why I bought more proven bulls this year. Be interested in hearing what others will be using.
We got a top son of Brown's Double Decker we plan to use as a yearling as a walking sire. We will be using one grandson of Hoover Dam and a few sons of Stock Fund we retained last year.

I only have a few heifers that I retained this year, most were shipped due to the lingering drought. A little over half of these heifers were sired by Tehama Tahoe B767, I bred them this week to ZWT Summitt 6507.

Waiting til I see how calving season goes. Main new sire we used last spring was S Architect. Probably continue using Sitz Resilient 10208 as those cattle have done well here, especially on PAP and the females raised some nice calves last year. The S Right Time 7861 calves have done well here too and more are on the way. Have 6 sons on a high altitude bull test now to see if his PAP EPD is reliable.

Finally ordered what maybe the last semen for 24. Ordered Jet Black and Connealy Armory for heifers. Will use mostly Jet Black. Will have a lot of replacements sired by Growth Fund sons. Stock Fund and a son we bought. Been told Jet Black crosses well on them. Have a few straws of Stock Fund left I plan to use.
Ordered Musgrave Rob Roy to use on cows. Also have a few straws of Double Decker and Bloodline left I will use. Have some Iconic and Drag Iron I may dump. We were disappointed in our Drag Irons and the one calf we got sired by Dow Jones. So why I bought more proven bulls this year. Be interested in hearing what others will be using.
We got a top son of Brown's Double Decker we plan to use as a yearling as a walking sire. We will be using one grandson of Hoover Dam and a few sons of Stock Fund we retained last year.
What problem did you see with Iconic? I might go another year with him. I'm finding his calves to be very consistent and they seem to attract my eye.
I might give Woodhill Comstock a go, I'm looking for a bit of milk. I'll give KCF Bennett Exponential a 2nd year, haven't seen his calves yet and SS Brickyard will get another run. Others in the tank are Hoffman Bar None and Sterling Pacific to clean up.

Ken

What problem did you see with Iconic? I might go another year with him. I'm finding his calves to be very consistent and they seem to attract my eye.
I might give Woodhill Comstock a go, I'm looking for a bit of milk. I'll give KCF Bennett Exponential a 2nd year, haven't seen his calves yet and SS Brickyard will get another run. Others in the tank are Hoffman Bar None and Sterling Pacific to clean up.

Ken
At the time I bought the semen I hadn't seen any progeny. It was on the advice of another breeder. I have since seen some progeny. They are shorter and more refined in muscling and bone for what we desire. Nice cattle if they fit your criteria. Just because they don't fit my criteria doesn't mean they aren't good and won't work elsewhere. The same with Drag Iron. We kept one bull and one heifer calf out of 5-6 calves. We want a sire at least a 6.0 mature frame, heavy muscled and big boned. Also good feet, legs and structure. I'm a little concerned about frame size on the Jet Blacks but on heifers a live calf with no assistance is important. Everything I saw on him from those who used him was positive. They say his daughters are great cows.

At the time I bought the semen I hadn't seen any progeny. It was on the advice of another breeder. I have since seen some progeny. They are shorter and more refined in muscling and bone for what we desire. Nice cattle if they fit your criteria. Just because they don't fit my criteria doesn't mean they aren't good and won't work elsewhere. The same with Drag Iron. We kept one bull and one heifer calf out of 5-6 calves. We want a sire at least a 6.0 mature frame, heavy muscled and big boned. Also good feet, legs and structure. I'm a little concerned about frame size on the Jet Blacks but on heifers a live calf with no assistance is important. Everything I saw on him from those who used him was positive. They say his daughters are great cows.
Yes I agree they are more compact however the yearling bulls I developed and sold this spring did not lack frame and were amongst the first sold. I have some heifers by him that are now in calf and are growing well so we will see.

Ken

I just about tried iconic the other year. Never did. Came to this chat looking for ideas. I'm thinking of using peak dot Trust again was really impressed with his daughters. Picture of Trust I found online is attached.IMG_0151.jpeg Thinking of trying Ellingson progressive. I used Ellingson profound and was very pleased with the calves. Picture attached of my favourite one.IMG_0018.jpeg Looking at ellingson progressive looks to be a similar build but his Epd s have improved on his sires numbers and filled in the gaps.
Wanting to use level up male on some others. (Charolais) to sire some smoke calves that are bringing top of the market. Used him last year but unfortunately takes so long to see how they turn out. Often by the time I really want to go back and use a bull I like, its a toss up wether I can get him.

Yes I agree they are more compact however the yearling bulls I developed and sold this spring did not lack frame and were amongst the first sold. I have some heifers by him that are now in calf and are growing well so we will see.

Ken
Thanks for the reply. I may keep his semen and try it later. What I have seen are nice cattle if they fit a breeders criteria. I haven't seen the dams so maybe they were short.

Don't have any current pictures. Didn't have a place for him so just weaned him 2 weeks ago. Will post a picture for on early October. He is a early March calf.

I have no current pictures. This is from early October. A early March calf. Just weaned him a few weeks ago because I didn't have a place for him. He is a big calf. No creep. Mother's milk and grass.

Attachments

• E93F53F4-74B9-4CD9-BD70-124CFE892E59.png
    E93F53F4-74B9-4CD9-BD70-124CFE892E59.png
    252.9 KB · Views: 26
Waiting til I see how calving season goes. Main new sire we used last spring was S Architect. Probably continue using Sitz Resilient 10208 as those cattle have done well here, especially on PAP and the females raised some nice calves last year. The S Right Time 7861 calves have done well here too and more are on the way. Have 6 sons on a high altitude bull test now to see if his PAP EPD is reliable.
I am glad you like your Right Time calves. I attended Spickler North production sale in December. I thought the 7861 sons there displayed all of the positive traits he possesses quite well. I even bought a son to add to the bull battery here. To this point the feedback from those who used him has been very positive. I will try to keep up with the PAP testing you are doing. Lisco and M Diamond have a group of Right Time 7861 sons that will be PAP tested also.

I am glad you like your Right Time calves. I attended Spickler North production sale in December. I thought the 7861 sons there displayed all of the positive traits he possesses quite well. I even bought a son to add to the bull battery here. To this point the feedback from those who used him has been very positive. I will try to keep up with the PAP testing you are doing. Lisco and M Diamond have a group of Right Time 7861 sons that will be PAP tested also.
I chatted with Dick at Wyoming State Fair in August and Brad at the sale barn in October. They are looking forward to how their calves develop as well. I have several M Diamond cows and daughters in the herd.

Ken
Just to clarify…this is Iconic we are speaking of? Have not utilized him but I have noticed he is gaining some popularity. What have you noticed on the claw and angle…foot structure?

Likely still early to say…but what were your thoughts on Architect?

Latest posts