storage of semen/embryo tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Boog337

Reaction score
We have built an enclosed carport style building with a lean to over catch cute in our pasture. After built we laid down the vapor barrier with rock on top then built a wood deck for the floor even with the bottom.
Currently i keep the semen tank in the enclose insulated garage on a fold out wood table but thinking of moving it permanently down to the carport building on the same wood table. That way it would be 20 foot from where we AI.
Im just wanting to make sure it would be ok for permanent storage as the sides and top are not insulated and it is metal siding with sun in the SC summers. Everything i read just say sit it on wood and not on concrete.
Anyone keep these in a similar building year around without problems or using more nitrogen?
Thanks for any help on this.

I have a semen tank in the carport... up on a couple of 2x6's that are flat on the gravel base... no heat or insulation or anything... one end of carport is 1/2 closed in, the other end open but there is lots of stuff inbetween... near the one wall, with shelves, but not directly against it.... have not seen any undo extra use of nitrogen and they fill every 3 months.....I'm in the Shen valley so not as hot as SC in the summer... but colder in the winter mostly....

We have our tanks in an old milkhouse attached to the barn (not heated) up off the floor on steel grating. No unusual losses, fill every 3 months. In MN.