Semen storage tank.

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
I am looking at getting into doing AI and need suggestions for a storage tank for.our semen. What would you all recommend for someone just getting started. We will be keeping a max of 50 straws at a time.

Whoever you take your AI training through will probably be your best bet for buying a tank and most importantly the service contract for filling and maintaining nitrogen. It seems these days service contracts vary more in price and quality of service than the tank itself.
I am having the tank stored and maintained at the college here in kansas they have a good program for storing and keeping them filled.

I am having the tank stored and maintained at the college here in kansas they have a good program for storing and keeping them filled.
Does the college have a secure location for tanks? Where does the college buy AI equipment? Would that company offer you an "education discount" if you buy a tank? The 20 liter (litre) tank is a common size and probably what you're looking for. The 11 liter tanks are used for shipping. The 34- and 47-liter tanks are used by AI techs and veterinary clinics.

...I keep my tank padlocked. Never know about people and I've heard about kids playing in liquid nitrogen (LN) tanks. However, the college needs access to maintain LN.

I have never had a tank graded by size... we have them here in the "# of weeks..."... since my semen/nitrogen guy comes through every 2 months, I have a tank that is a 20 week tank... 16 is considered about the least you want... and yes, I think the # of weeks is related to the size.
One of mine came from select sires years ago, another was a used tank from a dispersal sale and it was serviced by ABS, (sticker on side).... the one I have now is an MVE tank...

I am looking at getting into doing AI and need suggestions for a storage tank for.our semen. What would you all recommend for someone just getting started. We will be keeping a max of 50 straws at a time.
Get the best tank you can buy.
I started with a chineese one and paid the price.

are you going to be breeding your cows at the college? If not, it doesn't make sense to me to store your tank there. I would talk to your AI semen tech or local rep. many of the smaller dairies around here are selling out and several have tanks they no longer need. the AI tech or supplier that maintains the tank would be your best source to find a tank for your needs. they would also be your best advisor if you want new.

The College I was referring to is Kansas State University and the Kansas Artificial Breeding Service Unit. Thy also sell supplies and do collections there along with several other programs. The tanks are securely stored, and the liquid nitrogen is topped of every 5 or 10 weeks depending on the size of your tank. They charge you for the LN they put in as well as a service fee. For someone like me that is only doing AI once a year it makes sense to have them handle the storage and filling up of the tank until I need access to it. We are only doing about 25 head a year right now but hopefully it will work out well and we can grow here in the next few years.

As for tanks I am looking at the MVE XC 20 tank right now. It seems to have good reviews and I found some that were around 600-700 dollars.

I have reached out to several local AI techs and a few ranchers and dairy farmers who have been recommended to help with the whole process and I am planning on trying to get to a class here soon.

The College I was referring to is Kansas State University and the Kansas Artificial Breeding Service Unit. Thy also sell supplies and do collections there along with several other programs. The tanks are securely stored, and the liquid nitrogen is topped of every 5 or 10 weeks depending on the size of your tank. They charge you for the LN they put in as well as a service fee. For someone like me that is only doing AI once a year it makes sense to have them handle the storage and filling up of the tank until I need access to it. We are only doing about 25 head a year right now but hopefully it will work out well and we can grow here in the next few years.

As for tanks I am looking at the MVE XC 20 tank right now. It seems to have good reviews and I found some that were around 600-700 dollars.

I have reached out to several local AI techs and a few ranchers and dairy farmers who have been recommended to help with the whole process and I am planning on trying to get to a class here soon.
I bought the tank on the advice of a few who do a lot of AI work in this area. It has more capacity than I need. My AI tech fills it for $45.00. If I was close to KSU I would do the same as you do. I know of a few that do it that way. KSU has a great reputation. You don't have too worry about it until you need it.

They had a few used tanks but ended up buying a brand new xc-20 from them for 590.00 and they filled it up with LN. Also found a local rep to buy some semen from and have straws purchased and in the tank now. Time to wait for may to get here and start our first round of ai. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts