Old Simmental Semen from 1999

Help Support CattleToday:

simme

Old Dumb Guy
Reaction score
Used my last straw this week from this 1999 semen collection.
P1010030.JPG
P1010028.JPG
Simmental bull HC Power Drive 88H. An interesting story on this bull. This bull was born in Bean Station, Tennessee on Mr. Hugh Henry's farm. Mr. Hugh was/is in the carpet business there as his day job. He had purchased a bred heifer from Kappes Simmental in South Dakota in December, 1997. The bred heifer had this nice bull calf in March, 1998. Mr. Hugh consigned the yearling bull calf to the March, 1999 Simmental sale at the Tennessee Beef Agribition. I was interested in the bull and decided I could spend $5,000 on the bull. Normally at this yearly sale at that time, that would have been enough to get a bull bought. Mr. Hugh told me that the sales manager had told him that the bull might bring as much as $10,000. Best as I remember, the bull sold for $17,000. A pretty good price for a simmental bull in 1999. He sold to Triple C Farm in Wisconsin. The new owner was Peter Courtney - a very nice older guy whose day job afforded him the opportunity to enjoy life as he saw fit which included an exceptional herd of Simmental cattle with a national reputation. This semen was from one of the early collections of the bull. Collected at Nichol's Cryo-Genetics in Iowa. The bull sired many many offspring - several which sold for big money. Best I remember, the new owner decided to exhibit the bull at the National Western Livestock Show in Denver where he was the Grand Champion Simmental bull. The owner decided to have the bull cloned. There were 3 clones produced. When the bull eventually died, his head was mounted to hang on the wall at the farm. It all traced back to that little operation in Bean Station, TN. I believe we have some CT members from that area that might know Mr. Hugh Henry.
@Jeanne - Simme Valley may have information to share on this bull as well.

Saw his head in person. We went there multiple times for the judging team. The Allens were great hosts for us. Saw some of his calves as opens and even some of the clones calves. Great bull. Made some very influential females.

Received the Biopryn pregnancy results back yesterday. Confirmed pregnant. She is a Hooks Yellowstone daughter and granddaughter of my 16 year old SVF cow. Will see how that Powerdrive mating turns out.
Also bred a BBS True Justice heifer this year to Hooks Shear Force. He is an old bull that shows up in a lot of simmental and sim-angus pedigrees. I guess nostalgia drove me to those two selections.

Good read as the wife's family lives just over the mountain from Bean Station as I went through there yesterday. I am a 55 minute drive from the large East Walmart in Morristown. Kenny if you need a nice saw you know were some are at.

Received the Biopryn pregnancy results back yesterday. Confirmed pregnant. She is a Hooks Yellowstone daughter and granddaughter of my 16 year old SVF cow. Will see how that Powerdrive mating turns out.
Also bred a BBS True Justice heifer this year to Hooks Shear Force. He is an old bull that shows up in a lot of simmental and sim-angus pedigrees. I guess nostalgia drove me to those two selections.
Shear Force, Brook's Above Par, Autobahn oldest I have in tank.

Shear Force, Brook's Above Par, Autobahn oldest I have in tank.
I think I have a cane of Generation III. Now that is old and will probably never be used. Have 1 straw of 600U, some ER Red Dash, Sitz Alliance 6595 and Black Joker. Thing is when those old bulls were used, the cows were probably different than what we have today in terms of frame, milk, growth, birth weight, etc. So the calves that we remember from the old bulls might be a little different today. For sure, the EPD's are generally not very good compared to those of modern bulls.

I think I have a cane of Generation III. Now that is old and will probably never be used. Have 1 straw of 600U, some ER Red Dash, Sitz Alliance 6595 and Black Joker. Thing is when those old bulls were used, the cows were probably different than what we have today in terms of frame, milk, growth, birth weight, etc. So the calves that we remember from the old bulls might be a little different today. For sure, the EPD's are generally not very good compared to those of modern bulls.
Forgot about LT Bando 9074. 2 calves to be born this year. I'd use the 6595 if your not going to!

The 600U was some of my best calves. Would be interested in a bull calf

Triple_C_Power_Plus_N23L.jpg
Got curious and looked up the power drive bull. Nice looking bull!

Interesting stuff. I live about 10 minutes from what was the Triple C farms. A good friend actually rents the second farm for his cattle now. My sister's grew up showing against both of the Allen kids.... County fair was a bit tougher in our neck of the woods lol! Oddly enough, though this isn't necessarily big time cattle country, I can name quite a few nationally known programs that are or were within a 30 minute drive of my house...

Interesting stuff. I live about 10 minutes from what was the Triple C farms. A good friend actually rents the second farm for his cattle now. My sisters grew up showing against both of the Allen kids.... County fair was a bit tougher in our neck of the woods lol! Oddly enough, though this isn't necessarily big time cattle country, I can name quite a few nationally known programs that are or were within a 30 minute drive of my house..,

Latest posts