Using Chantix to quit smoking

Help Support CattleToday:

I have not heard of it.

Tell me something, though. Do you really want to quit? I found that if I tried to quit because my husband was trying to or whatever, that it never worked. But when I decided to quit, I just stopped, chewed some of that gum, not even a pack, and I haven't had one since December 28th. I think the secret is in the wanting to.

Quit smoking, its easy, just get up one morning an say to yourself that your not going to smoke today.
Worked for me, have not smoked in a several years.

curtis":4if30a05 said:
Quit smoking, its easy, just get up one morning an say to yourself that your not going to smoke today.
Worked for me, have not smoked in a several years.

Oh yea. I used to quit all the time! Quitting was easy. So was starting again! For me, I had to come to the point, in my mind, where I was ready to stop. I can remember the moment. I smoked the last one I had, then I tossed the butt and said to myself, "That's it. I am done smoking. That was the last cigarette I will ever smoke."

I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times, but I didn't start back. I smoked three in June in one day, decided it was disgusting, and have not had one since. We even bought a pack, looked at it, and decided not to. Gave it to my step son, who has taken up the habit now.

I took that Chantix stuff. With the puking and sick to my stomach all the ime and loosing 10 pounds (that I really couldn;t afford to loose) I quit taking it.

dun":3cfbx923 said:
I took that Chantix stuff. With the puking and sick to my stomach all the ime and loosing 10 pounds (that I really couldn;t afford to loose) I quit taking it.

That has been the down part of it. Steve and I have both gained weight. I gained about 5 pounds and he, about 15. We are walking in the evenings. We are up to a mile of brisk walking, I think we are going to increase pretty soon. He's actually lost weight. Men lose it quicker than women, though. Steve was a much heavier smoker than me. He was a pack, sometimes a pack and a half per day. I was about 5 per day unless I was in a bar or around lots of other smokers, like, in a bar! :) It was easier for me because I work in a school and you can't smoke on campus so I didn't smoke all day. I also never smoked around my boys. Boy! I sure would smoke two or three on the way home sometimes.

Driving. It was hardest to quit while driving. Smoke and drive. Drive and smoke.

We both still look at each other and go, " Man, it sure would be great to have a cig!" Cravings. Especially if I am mad.

ROCKSPRINGS":vjd320z5 said:
If you want it to work, it will work, if you have a negative attitude about it, then it will not work. All in your mind.

In my case it was all in the stomach

My dr. put me on Wellbutrin to stop smoking. It is an anti-depressant with a side effect that supposedly makes you quit. It didn't help me quit, but boy was I a happy guy!!!

Horticattleman":2dqv36uu said:
My dr. put me on Wellbutrin to stop smoking. It is an anti-depressant with a side effect that supposedly makes you quit. It didn't help me quit, but boy was I a happy guy!!!

Tried that few years ago too, same result as yours

I did the Wellbutrin thing and it seemed to help. Quit for five years. Then my buddy got blown all to heII by a lightening strike and I figured when its your time there's not a thing you can do about it. But then I think smokers are a lot like drinkers -we'll use any excuse to continue.

A friend of mine quit using Wellbutrin. He had smoked for over 30 years. About a year after that he got really sick and was on life support for three months. Incredibly, he came out of it. He's on a liver transplant list now.

Geez, you quit smoking and look what happens!

my dad finally had enough when he saw his sister in a hospital bed with tubes all in her and down her thoat from bein a heavy smoker all her life and dying from it. he didnt need anything else.

About a 17 of my peers went into a pact when the taxes went up on cigarettes. Most of them took the Chantix route. Three of them are now smoking and one of the three was on Chantix. Hence, I'd say the odds were upwards of 90 percent when assisted with Chantix.

I got a prescription filled (OUCH, it is expensive). I need to get through this current life scenario and then go for it.

Some of you sound like my father in law. "Just quit, I did"
We'll that may work for some of you but at $160/month for Chantix will be very cost saving and life saving in the long run but, what will really piss me off is when I quit and If I still die of lung cancer I will be madder than well you know.

I got my 12 week supply from the VA today. I'm gonna start taking them on monday. Wish me luck I have been smoking since i was 12 and am now 44. My wife did them and she hasn't had a cig since may so maybe they do work.
mike

All I can say is that since I quit smoking, I feel physically like I'm 18 again. No more coughing, wheezing, stinking, and saved a bunch of money so far. I smoked for twenty years, and have been smoke free for almost 8 months. If yall put your mind to it, you'll be able to quit. It aint easy, but hang in there, you CAN do it.Probably no one liked a Marlboro more than me!

A woman I work with uses Chantix and swears by it. I've tried the gum, the patch, being hypnotized, wellbutrin, switching to menthol (YUCK)! The only thing that worked for me was being pregnant but hubby says I can't use that as a program anymore :( Would LOVE to quit!

Latest posts