Welcome to the sunny South !

Help Support CattleToday:

-3 this morning with wind chill of -14.... Sun is out now and up to a "balmy" +8....
Water in house is frozen... left the faucets cracked, but had to weigh burning up the well pump with how much water to let run.... but there is not very good insulation here and I suspect it is frozen in the crawl space. Hoping it will thaw without a bunch of burst pipes... opened up the faucets inside since I will be here... inside temp about 66.... Not my idea of a happy holiday season.....

Kudos to those who put up with this cold, snow, wind, and whatever else for weeks (months?) at a time. It started Thursday afternoon for me and I'm already tired of it. Breaking ice in the troughs, dealing with the wind, layers of clothes on (and having to pee) is not fun in my book. It is supposed to get above freeing for a while today and by Monday pretty much back to the 60's day/40's night that is "normal" for this area. I guess some of you won't see any above freezing temps for a while.
But I know next August I will be wishing for cold.

Hauled water for 3 hours today. Thought if I let my troughs get low then turn the water on low it would keep it from freezing. Boy was I wrong. At least I know what to look forward to tomorrow. More buckets of water to move starting first thing in the morning. I have six watering points and have to fill buckets from inside because everything is froze solid. We are not equipped for this in the south like y'all are in the north.
No, most are not. Now that we've had 3 years in a row of sub 20 and down to the teens or lower...what have we learned, or should have learned?

As our family grew, so did the number of DOGS...😠 6 people and 6 dogs! And the dogs get along about as well as 6 buttheaded people. I had converted Dad's layer chicken house, about a 10x16 shed, into a kennel to house my own dogs while I was away. So a "No Dogs In The House" was dictated. That included my own dogs. So I divided the kennel into3. I put doggy doors for access to open air. I insulated it, put an AC unit in it to help with summer comfort and ran 2 space heaters for winter comfort (supposed to heat 125 sq ft each). Been lucky up until this year it wasn't needed during the really cold spells like we had coming this week. I spent Wednesday adding to the wind proofing and added another heater. Lucky I had only 1 dog Thursday as the temperature in the room got pretty cool Thursday so I pointed all 3 heaters at the dog bed. Had more dogs coming Friday so back to the drawing board. I had 2 100 gal. Rubbermade troughs that had cracks from water freezing. I turned them upside down and cut an entry door in them. Essentially making a dog house out of them. I then cut a 4 inch hole in the top (bottom) of the trough and ran a 4" dryer duct back to one of the heaters and taped it to the heater. So now I've got heated dog houses inside of a heated kennel.

Daughter in law asked me yesterday why the well didn't freeze up.... It puzzled her how we had water in the house but she couldn't get water at the faucet she uses to water her dogs.

Little off topic but interesting : We live in an ICF house I built ten years ago. 11" thick walls. During our recent multi-day cold snap I turned off HVAC system. Started with house interior temp at 80° f. Three days now with highest external temperature at 45. Lowest 33.. Interior temp has dropped to 76 from 80. only interior heat source has been a couple of candles and lighting on Xmas tree. 3,300 sq ft interior heated/cooled space. Guess insulation works.

Little off topic but interesting : We live in an ICF house I built ten years ago. 11" thick walls. During our recent multi-day cold snap I turned off HVAC system. Started with house interior temp at 80° f. Three days now with highest external temperature at 45. Lowest 33.. Interior temp has dropped to 76 from 80. only interior heat source has been a couple of candles and lighting on Xmas tree. 3,300 sq ft interior heated/cooled space. Guess insulation works.
ICF???

International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF)?

I spent Wednesday adding to the wind proofing and added another heater. Lucky I had only 1 dog Thursday as the temperature in the room got pretty cool Thursday so I pointed all 3 heaters at the dog bed. Had more dogs coming Friday so back to the drawing board. I had 2 100 gal. Rubbermade troughs that had cracks from water freezing. I turned them upside down and cut an entry door in them. Essentially making a dog house out of them. I then cut a 4 inch hole in the top (bottom) of the trough and ran a 4" dryer duct back to one of the heaters and taped it to the heater.
What kind of heaters?
Got a picture?

I'll help ya out here:
Description
Warmth Rating Earned: Level 4 - Extreme Warmth
STYLE #104920
WOMEN'S SUPER DUX™ RELAXED FIT INSULATED BIB OVERALL - 4 EXTREME WARMTH RATING
$179.99

Engineered For Extreme Warmth in the Coldest Condtions On Earth. See Technology section below for more details.

Built for work, made for play.
These women's Super Dux overalls are named after the first line of Carhartt outdoor gear, released in the 1930s.
They're water-repellent, wind-resistant, and lined with 3M Thinsulate for warmth.
The nylon is lighter and stronger than traditional duck, so you move easily while hiking or just walking around.
It's cut with a relaxed fit and has durable double-layer knees.
zipcarharts.jpg

• 8.1-ounce, 97% Nylon/3% Elastane with Rain Defender® durable water-repellent finish
  • Built to move with Rugged Flex® stretch technology
  • Wind Fighter® technology tames the wind
  • Quilted lining insulated with 80g of 3M™ Thinsulate™ from the waist down
  • Sherpa-lined front and back from wearer's waist up
  • Waist to ankle side zippers provide full drop seat option without suspender removal
  • Multi-compartment bib pocket with zipper closure
  • Two lower-front double pockets
  • Multiple utility pockets
  • Hammer-loop
  • Reinforced kick panels
  • Adjustable leg openings
  • Double-front construction with cleanout bottoms that accommodate knee pads
  • Double stitched main seams
  • Model No. OR5004-W
  • Country of Origin: Imported

Having seen the ad, I will tell you aboout one of my many travels across other lands. In SE Asia, (Vietnam, Thailand, some parts of S Korea, Laos) the women wear long flowing split-on-the-sides 'outer dresses' with very long loose-to-baggy silk looking pants underneath. (what is under that I will not speculate upon here at CT)
When the urge comes, they pull nothing down. They simply stop where they are, move off the pathway, brush the outer dress aside then pull one side of the baggy pants leg ALL the way UP, pull everything to the opposite side, then squat and ..........do their thing..
aodaivndress.png

You're welcome..