It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
December 1st and the first snow of the year. Just a solid skiff this morning but it started up again about 2 hours ago. They closed down the freeway east bound. People must have forgot how to drive because it isn't that much snow. The news on the computer says multiple accidents just west of me. I called B this morning. He said he was headed toward Boise at 50 mph. If B is only driving 50 mph the roads must be real slick because he never drives that slow. They also say that the freeway is shut down from Pendleton to La Grande. That is going up over the Blue Mountains. But on the traffic cameras I see vehicles. Not very many but some.

I-80 through Wyoming is always getting shut down with every little snow storm because drivers are so stupid. People rear ended 3 snowplows in one day. Half the truckers these days either wear turbans or the eastern European track suits. The people in cars drive like they are on dry roads and it is just one wreck after another.

I-80 through Wyoming is always getting shut down with every little snow storm because drivers are so stupid. People rear ended 3 snowplows in one day. Half the truckers these days either wear turbans or the eastern European track suits. The people in cars drive like they are on dry roads and it is just one wreck after another.

i see the turbans often but what ate the track suits?

The eastern Europeans, such as Czechs, Slovaks, Romanians, Bulgarians, don't speak much English and always seem to wear nylon Adidas track suits and drive like crap too.

Our first snow was back in early September. Our first foot of snow was in October. Now December has come and there's only 1-2" on the ground. Strange winter.

As much snow as we get 8 months of the year people forgot how to drive every year. First 2 months of winter and people drive 30mph at the sight of a snowflake, by March people cruise 60mph in a blizzard that you can hardly see past the hood. Haha

Now worries, they got wheel four drive. LOL. I have had people pass me up like I was sitting still in their little mini van when I had my truck in 4 wheel drive taking it easy. Went a little ways up the road and their is a mini van in the ditch.

By later in the winter its pretty hard to end up in the ditch here. The snow banks on the side of the road are 3-6 foot tall and solid as a rock. When you lose control you just ping pong back and forth between the snow banks.

You get used to driving 60mph and not knowing exactly where the road is, it's just a normal day on the tundra. Haha

Made it to 57 here today it's been a light rain or drizzle off and on. No snow yet, won't bother me if there ain't none.
We are kind of in the middle, most years we get two or three measurable snows 1-3 inches at a time that's gone in a day or two. The extremes can happen to, some years we'll get several inches of snow and it will hang on for while. The biggest snow I remember was in 84/85 then another not quite as big in 97 or 98.
2014/2015 we had several moderate snows and ice too and it stayed in the ground pretty much till March.
88/89 was a rare year that we didn't get any snow at all but got a lot of rains and flooding events.
Most of our snows come late December through early March with the most likely times into January and February.
As much as I hate snow I prefer it to ice which we usually get a couple ice events on a average winter.

I am soooo wishing we could have a NORMAL winter. Last year we had MUD all winter. Sometimes it was covered with snow, but mud underneath it. Right now, it has been drizzling/rain for days. MUD !! We need it to freeze deep - THEN SNOW!!

I am soooo wishing we could have a NORMAL winter. Last year we had MUD all winter. Sometimes it was covered with snow, but mud underneath it. Right now, it has been drizzling/rain for days. MUD !! We need it to freeze deep - THEN SNOW!!
Mud is a fact of life here the majority of most any winter.

Once we get deep snow here the once frozen ground will thaw out underneath and turn to mud. Only places that stay frozen are where it gets plowed or packed down. I can go out to the middle of untouched snow in February at -30 and dig a hole in the dirt as easy as in July.

Well, someone had to do it..........

DSC00502.JPG

DSC00504.JPG

DSC00505.JPG

Wife finally admitted, this has to be the last year for this tree, as the so-called needles no longer want to do right except fall off on the floor. Not even close to the first tree I ever killed but it is the 1st artificial one. I don't discriminate.

Jane and I walked thru about 8" of fresh snow the very 1st year we were together at Christmas to get to HEB in San Angelo and bought it. I was 42 and she 28. Looks like we'll outlast the tree.

That was a new one for me, almost. Hadn't been walking in that much snow in Texas up to that point.
No stranger to snow tho. Spent a winter in Waukegan Ill and another winter in North Carolina. Saw plenty offshore of Korea too.

We rarely get frozen ground and if we do its only a couple inches deep. Another reason for me to stockpile fescue instead of feeding hay.
I figure you and I have fairly similar winters. There may be a little bit of difference with you being a little further south. Seems like the counties just north of us tend to get a little more snow than we do and the ones up next to Ohio are usually a 2-3 degrees colder than here, south of here, they tend to be a couple degrees warmer a lot of times too. Seems like the weather systems kind of split and we kinda get the outer edge of a system. The more eastern mountain counties a lot of times get a little more snow than we do too.
Yeah, tractor tracks make ruts pretty quick, makes a mess for sure.
Some winters we do have some spells of frozen ground especially early morning, alway try to take advantage of that when I can. A lot of times when we get a couple inches or so of snow it's on top of mud.

Last edited:
With a "normal" year, we usually freeze down a foot (or more). Snow creates a nice warm bed for the cattle - and they (and us) stay clean. We have designed all but 1 of our winter sacrifice lots with a gravel feed pad that I reach over the fence with loader and fill feeders. The tractor driving around the winter lot made almost more of a mess than the cattle themselves. All the lots are ?? 3-5 acres. Cattle have lots of places to rest away from sloppy feed areas. But ---- they LOVE laying next to the feeders!!! Our 2-3 yr old pregnant group (pampered group) have the best most wind protection area, but we have to drive into their lot. They don't lay around the feeders because of the wind block tree ridge they have. Once we start calving, we have 6 winter paddocks.

Latest posts