Welcome to the sunny South !

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah well a week later and the f@#$&*@g ticks are back out crawling. Hate em with a passion, a man can't even bear hunt in peace.

Amazing how the weather has done a 180... -3 to 66 ... ice and frozen ground to mud and slippin' and slidin'. Haven't seen any ticks but sure have had some flies out...
Oh well, it will get back to more normal this weekend....

It did a quick turnaround here also. I turned on the AC when I got ready to go to bed last night. It was 77° in the house.

Amazing how the weather has done a 180... -3 to 66 ... ice and frozen ground to mud and slippin' and slidin'. Haven't seen any ticks but sure have had some flies out...
Oh well, it will get back to more normal this weekend....
Same here, ground thawed and some heavy rain to boot, everything is slick and muddy but I'll still take it over that -20 windchill. These extreme swings are hard on the livestock though.

40's yesterday and today, 30's at night. vs 80 last week. The only good thing, is it has beat back The Yellow Death for a while. Our northern and Canadian friends have to deal with that snow and ice and sub-zero temps, and our western and mid-western friends have had to deal with drought . Well we have to deal with this sh*t March- April through Oct-Nov. It is hell on healthy people with healthy lungs and no allergies, but it is dangerous for those with asthma, emphysema, hay fever, etc.l

Last edited:
40's yesterday and today, 30's at night. vs 80 last week. Thew only good thing, is it has beat back The Yellow Death for while. Our northern ad Canadian friends have tro deak wwith that snow and ice and sub-zero temps, and our western and mid-western friends have had to deal with drought . Well we have to deal with this March- April through Oct-Nov. It is hell on healthy people with healthy lungs and no allergies, but it is dangerous for those with asthma, emphysema, hay fever, etc.l
When I was a kid I used to have to wear a painting mask in order to cut grass or do any hay work, that's how bad my allergies were. They could lay me out with a fever and a litany of respiratory maladies. They finally carried me to have me tested, I was allergic to a whole sheet common plants in the south. I got better with age and now basically only have real allergies if I travel someplace I haven't been before. I only take allergy meds when I turkey hunt now, so a possible stray sneeze doesn't bust me off a bird. What's interesting is what I'm not allergic to. I'm immune to poison ivy and poison oak, and I can cut down trees that my whole Texas family is allergic to like cedar and china berry and for some of them post oaks and I can do it without a sniffle.

When I was a kid I used to have to wear a painting mask in order to cut grass or do any hay work, that's how bad my allergies were. They could lay me out with a fever and a litany of respiratory maladies. They finally carried me to have me tested, I was allergic to a whole sheet common plants in the south. I got better with age and now basically only have real allergies if I travel someplace I haven't been before. I only take allergy meds when I turkey hunt now, so a possible stray sneeze doesn't bust me off a bird. What's interesting is what I'm not allergic to. I'm immune to poison ivy and poison oak, and I can cut down trees that my whole Texas family is allergic to like cedar and china berry and for some of them post oaks and I can do it without a sniffle.
When you move out of the area you grew up in it's common to lose many of your environmental childhood allergies. If you stay out of the area long enough they will not return most of the time, if you return.

24 this morning, surprisingly my blooms on my blueberries don't look burnt, yet . Another subzero in the am and then back in the 70's days , and 50's at night . Never fails , I had a little one born this morning . Looked fine but was having a time nursing for the first time . Had to go get ready for church and now after lunch I'm on my way back to check .

When you move out of the area you grew up in it's common to lose many of your environmental childhood allergies. If you stay out of the area long enough they will not return most of the time, if you return.
But you often also get some new ones in the new area.

"Goodbye pine pollen--hello juniper/cedar pollen!"

I can't remember the last time it was above freezing at dawn. Probably sometime in October. Maybe November. It was 24 this morning. It got up into the high 40's in the afternoon. No need for a coat in that kind of weather.

Latest posts