USDA label

Help Support CattleToday:

Its missing the 1 should be 81/19 , and OP wants grade labels put on all beef. HeII the dumbazz that labeled this package did not know it was wrong. What do you expect a min wage worker to do???

But as long as the package says prime it will be okie dokie . A vast majority would not know what prime / choice / select was if it slapped them in the face. They will believe anything as long as it has a sticker on it. I know for a fact that produce that is required to have a country of origin is labeled with what ever stickers are handy sometimes. Used to the boxes of produce would have the stickers on a roll in the box for the produce people to put on . These extra stickers were kept and lets say a everything was from USA and one box of Mexican cantaloupes came in. You could not display it with the USA fruit it had to be in a separate section with COO and stickers You would peal off the Mexican stickers and put usa stickers on it.

M-5":ceal3t1g said:
But as long as the package says prime it will be okie dokie . A vast majority would not know what prime / choice / select was if it slapped them in the face.

You're absolutely correct. Again. Putting the name of the breed on there is selling a lot of beef. Disappointed consumers are buying chicken. We had this discussion today at lunch, here at work. A guy bought steak to cook on the 4th. He chose bad steaks and his choice was based on a breed label. Wrong store. Wrong steak.

They have had this programmed into their brains. "choice" to them implies something good and you put that breed label with it, they bite.

The steak in the original post says "angus beef". Isn't all angus the best? LOL Take a look at that steak one more time.

CottageFarm":3uvaemqt said:
ummm....whats the other 10%....a secret element maybe???....or maybe we don't want to know???

I figured they just took the gluten out.

You need to find an old school butcher like Dun uses. His carries everything.

13221445_851128268326494_5339590280936962898_n.jpg

M-5":32scrm7t said:
OP wants grade labels put on all beef.
No, the OP is an animal rights activist and the labeling agenda is only the tip of their actual agenda.

1. They really want the Government to declare dairy cattle "Genetically Engineered Exotic Cattle and not true Beef"
2. Then to ban the sale of dairy slaughter cows as genetically engineered exotics unfit for human consumption.
3. Followed by extending the ban to beef slaughter cows.
4. Then to extend the law and ban the sale of all beef graded standard or lower as unfit for human consumption.

They hope to divide and conquer the beef industry by agitating beef producers to turn on dairy producers.
They whisper in the beef producer's ear the siren's song of greed....
"Just think how much your beef cattle would be worth if we worked together and got rid of all the dairy beef."
One step at a time. Today dairy cows, tomorrow the world.

Jogeephus":3amuzxjb said:
CottageFarm":3amuzxjb said:
ummm....whats the other 10%....a secret element maybe???....or maybe we don't want to know???

I figured they just took the gluten out.

You need to find an old school butcher like Dun uses. His carries everything.

13221445_851128268326494_5339590280936962898_n.jpg

Cool!
Will have to look around for one of those old school, full service guys.

So, did it taste more like legs or wings?? I'm hoping wings, I just love me some wings :lol:

Son of Butch":23kqx79j said:
M-5":23kqx79j said:
OP wants grade labels put on all beef.
No, the OP is an animal rights activist and the labeling agenda is only the tip of their actual agenda.

1. They really want the Government to declare dairy cattle "Genetically Engineered Exotic Cattle and not true Beef"
2. Then to ban the sale of dairy slaughter cows as genetically engineered exotics unfit for human consumption.
3. Followed by extending the ban to beef slaughter cows.
4. Then to extend the law and ban the sale of all beef graded standard or lower as unfit for human consumption.

They hope to divide and conquer the beef industry by agitating beef producers to turn on dairy producers.
They whisper in the beef producer's ear the siren's song of greed....
"Just think how much your beef cattle would be worth if we worked together and got rid of all the dairy beef."
One step at a time. Today dairy cows, tomorrow the world.
I think you got it figured out.

bball":36wp7ds2 said:
Jogeephus":36wp7ds2 said:
LCCattle":36wp7ds2 said:
As I said, the consumer has no way of knowing what USDA grade meat they are buying.
Her is a pic of some meat I just bought at the grocery store.
It does have a Black Canyon label on it, but it does NOT have a USDA grade label on it. None of the meats I looked at had a USDA grade label on it.

Nor does the grocer have to since you are looking at boxed meat which is sold for value not grade. Your grocer most likely has a standing order for X pounds of commercial grade or better meat per week. The grade is displayed on the box but this is then end of the audit trail for the grocer who sells by price and not quality. If you go to a true meat market that actually has a trained butcher who sells by grade the grade must be shown and verifiable because the USDA will audit this. With unskilled labor running the meat departments in most chains the risk of failing an audit is too great to sell meat by any other method hence we have boxed meat.

The good thing about this is its cheap meat and if the market is flooded with meat you can pick up higher quality meats than what the store orders due to oversupply. If you want to buy graded meat, find a meat market that actually has a butcher and he will fix you up.

Hold on a second Jo. Are you saying a place already exists where 'the masses' could go, should they be so inclined, to purchase beef already graded. You say this place is a meat market or a butcher shop? That has an actual, true, butcher in their employ? Are you saying we don't need more regulations because there is a place already available for the services in question? Fascinating!
Ok. Sarcasm off.
:clap: Good job guys on destroying the false premise this non-problem was based on. :clap:
But remember, if animal rights activists can slip lies and half truths past experienced producers, just how easy it is for them to do the same or worse with the general public regarding beef.

#1 trick of activists in recruiting for their cause is to start with a 1/2 truth premise and then add more 1/2 truths and outright lies to build their cases, because their reasoning won't hold water if they base it on truth.

The sad thing is it doesn't take majority opinion to pass a law to grow government. It just takes dedication to either add to or chip away at laws to get their way under the guise that our government knows what's best for our citizens.

1982vett":3mdwzaq3 said:
M-5":3mdwzaq3 said:
notice anything strange ???
You can only det it pre-cooked?.......... :lol:

The only beef offered is choice. Looking at the price of those "choice" T bones, I did really good at HEB getting rib eyes (prime) for $9.97 per pound.

its a matter of preference , some cuts Prime is ideal because of tenderness and choice is ideal for others. Choice has slightly less marbling but The truth is most people can not tell the difference in the two when prepared. even a prime steak that is cooked todeath will not be good.

M-5":1j96hj6y said:
Current Ad at the grocery store I shop at and the company I worked for.

After clicking on it to enlarge it those chicks below the meat made my mouth water!

But that's not the point.
The point is, the public has the right to know what USDA grade they are buying regardless of your taste, preference or pocketbook or theirs and it is more proof there is a USDA system already in place to accomplish USDA labeling of all beef. The only thing needed is for the USDA to make labeling mandatory for all beef, which I am in favor of, which would let the free market system work so beef prices could go up.

LCCattle":2109mmx8 said:
M-5":2109mmx8 said:

After clicking on it to enlarge it those chicks below the meat made my mouth water!

The point is, the public has the right to know what USDA grade they are buying regardless of your taste, preference or pocketbook or theirs and this pic is more proof there is a USDA system already in place to accomplish USDA labeling of all beef. The only thing needed is for the USDA to make labeling mandatory for all beef, which I am in favor of, which would let the free market system work so beef prices could go up.

LCCattle":3vgdpqjw said:
M-5":3vgdpqjw said:

The point is, the public has the right to know what USDA grade they are buying regardless of your taste, preference or pocketbook or theirs and it is more proof there is a USDA system already in place to accomplish USDA labeling of all beef. The only thing needed is for the USDA to make labeling mandatory for all beef, which I am in favor of, which would let the free market system work so beef prices could go up.

That's where your ignorant to the process. The company (grocery store) only uses it to promote their beef. The government has no business telling anyone how to do business. The public can get stores to do label it! if they do not then the consumer can go elsewhere where they do. that is the free market system. You need to read the governments role in the constitution. Its a sad life you lead when you have to be told what is good for you by someone else.

LCCattle":haw298ix said:
M-5":haw298ix said:

Grading isn't free. It's purely done for marketing purposes, not public safety. THAT is something the public has a right to, a safe product for the good of public health. I don't know how many graders there are these days, but they have to be paid. And if it's done through computer systems, those systems have to be bought. Consumers are always talking about how they passionately prefer this over that, but research has shown that they don't put their money where their mouth is. Sometimes I sit back and watch people pick out steaks at HEB and you can tell they don't have a clue what they are looking at. I see steaks labeled as Select quite a bit that are definitely not. Conversely I see Choice steaks on sale that are absolutely Select. Yeah, the grade is determined by the marbling at the 12th and 13th rib...either the grader was way off or that animal did not marble consistently. But ordinary people don't know that. .....I guess my point is that the majority of consumers don't know what they are buying, and don't care enough to go educate themselves about it. I am sick and tired of people wanting mandatory this and mandatory that. The free market system is working just fine...people are free to take their money and spend it where and how they want to. There certainly isn't a shortage of options!

Latest posts