USDA label

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle

Reaction score
As I said, the consumer has no way of knowing what USDA grade meat they are buying.
Her is a pic of some meat I just bought at the grocery store.
It does have a Black Canyon label on it, but it does NOT have a USDA grade label on it. None of the meats I looked at had a USDA grade label on it.
In my opinion the USDA grade label should be on all beef to inform the public what grade meat they are buying. What say you ?

And who will PAY for this added service provided by our govt?

In my opinion the USDA grade label should be on all beef to inform the public what grade meat they are buying.

Why?? If a consumer cant tell by looking at a piece of beef what it would likely grade (which most cannot do), being told the grade wont mean anything to them either. I'm guessing that steak doesn't have a grade label on it, because it wouldn't make select.
Might say angus, but, contrary to marketing, that doesnt automatically make it premium beef.

Consumers are being told to only eat lean meats, lean looking meat and premium grade beef are diametrically opposed.

I always thought the grade was required on the label. I guess not...

Isn't all beef graded?

8424794896_b885736f9c_h.jpg

Out here Safeway (Vans to some) will label most of their steaks and roast, etc. choice, hamburger..... Who know what you are getting. Although late morning early afternoons they will grind the CAB trimmings and they label that a "market". This post made me think about buying some prime steaks, since I doubt anything I raise will grade out as prime, my pockets aren't deep enough for just that. Meaning I'm the type of guy who would be grumbling about how much I spent while chewing every bite.

Bball.
The only additional cost is for the printing of the USDA grade label and having them affixed at the packing house just like CAB and Black Canyon does. Seems like a small price to pay to inform the public on exactly what they are buying.

HD,
Isn't all beef graded?
YES, but it is not required on the packaging for the good of the consumer. The USDA grade stops at packaging except for on the outside of the box for inventory and shipping purposes and on the bill of laden.

HDRider":1uorftvo said:
I always thought the grade was required on the label. I guess not...

Isn't all beef graded?

8424794896_b885736f9c_h.jpg

No, grading is not mandatory. It is performed by request, at additional cost, and now is generally only done when the packer knows the beef will make choice (sometimes select ) or better.

Only inspection is mandatory for retail beef.

Cottage Farms this old boy can't figure out the difference in graded and inspected. Doesn't seen to know what boxed beef is either. Sure as heck doesn't know anything about the labeling process and what it cost small chain retailer to get set up to print the labels for cuts of beef.

Red Bull Breeder":79o4fuj6 said:
Cottage Farms this old boy can't figure out the difference in graded and inspected. Doesn't seen to know what boxed beef is either. Sure as heck doesn't know anything about the labeling process and what it cost small chain retailer to get set up to print the labels for cuts of beef.

Hey RBB!! :wave:
I'm just trying to help clear up that confusion for others who may have been led astray in the debate.

Now let me ask you this.
Why are you so opposed to USDA labeling so the public knows what they are buying?

I am not universally an opponent of labeling requirements. I thought origin labeling was an outstanding requirement.

I am only opposed to the additional requirement of grade labeling. Its silly to me. Its an uneccessary expense to pass on to consumers because what constitutes quality beef is subjective. I personally prefer lean, young beef. Consistently the best beef to me is yearling bull (including holstein and jersey), which doesn't usually have enough intramuscular fat to grade beyond low to middle select, yet IMO is comparable in quality to prime beef. Yet by your requirements would not be allowed to be sold.

It is my assertion that a consumer who is concerned about the grade will have even a basic understanding of those grades and can judge for themselves by looking at the package, at least on a steak or crosscut roast. Its not hard to find graded beef, just go to a real butcher, and be willing to pay the higher price.

It is also assertion that a high percentage, likely even majority, don't give a rats rectum what grade it is most of time as long as its within their budget.

This is another of those incredibly stupid first world problems that just is not important. Really, can you see all of those poor countries of the world reading this stuff and just crying for the level of sheer triviality and meaninglessness of it

cmay":25dhbis8 said:
Your steaks are either USDA choice or select. No controversy here - even though you are trying to start some.
No, not always and not in that case. That is a store program that uses beef that didn't grade, thats why they use a catchy name that makes no reference to quality. Notice how the meat is devoid of IMF? Nothing "wrong" with the meat, just doesn't possess a high quality grade.

js1234":1a390hh9 said:
cmay":1a390hh9 said:
Your steaks are either USDA choice or select. No controversy here - even though you are trying to start some.
No, not always and not in that case. That is a store program that uses beef that didn't grade, thats why they use a catchy name that makes no reference to quality. Nothing "wrong" with the meat, just doesn't possess a high quality grade.

LCCattle":2gwwzwu9 said:
As I said, the consumer has no way of knowing what USDA grade meat they are buying.
Her is a pic of some meat I just bought at the grocery store.
It does have a Black Canyon label on it, but it does NOT have a USDA grade label on it. None of the meats I looked at had a USDA grade label on it.
In my opinion the USDA grade label should be on all beef to inform the public what grade meat they are buying.
What say you?
I say Black Canyon is in business to make money.
If Black Canyon thought for one moment that a USDA grade label increased profit you can bet it would be on it.

The steak pictured lacks marbling, I would not buy it.
My cousin on the other hand is brainwashed into believing only lean red meat is healthy and she'd jump on that steak.
Except she also believes if you eat beef fed any corn you will die and therefore will only buy beef labeled organic
grass fed beef and cares nothing about USDA grade labeling.

js 1234, Black Canyon is a USDA registered branded beef product sold by National Beef. To be labeled Black Canyon Angus Beef it must be either select or choice and meet all the other criteria. It's not a "store program" that uses beef that "didn't grade".

Your probably the reason stores quit putting the labels on it. It's started some years ago when people quit using the butcher at your local supermarket. People did not want to pay to have beef cut in the market they only wanted specials and no loyalty to stores. So when the butchers started retiring they started get flunkies to put pre packages in the case. It was standard procedure to label cuts in the 50s thru the 90s in supermarkets that valued their meat markets. Now no one cares and you don't have anyone that can do it now.

M-5":1ysnejxk said:
It started some years ago when people quit using the butcher at your local supermarket.
People did not want to pay to have beef cut in the market they only wanted specials and no loyalty to stores.
It was standard procedure to label cuts in the 50s thru the 90s in supermarkets that valued their meat markets.
Now no one cares ...
Sounds about right.

Latest posts