USDA label

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":1sg3qw9c said:
Got a question, are you SirLoin?
I don't answer personal questions, but no and I don;t think I ever meet him although I did read some of his posts, I think, as I have been searching and reading this board for years before posting.

LCCattle":3lubfjjh said:
As I said, the consumer has no way of knowing what USDA grade meat they are buying.

Sure they do. Its your choice of where you shop. In your case you are buying boxed beef. There is a grade on it but the customer doesn't see it because it is irrelevant. The chain store you bought the beef from probably has a standing order for X number of pounds of beef each week which must grade "standard grade or better" and the boxes of meat will show the grade to insure the grocer is getting what he paid for but that is where it ends since price not grade is the important thing. If you are interested in better cuts you need to purchase from a meat shop whose clientele probably isn't using an EBT card. Many of these places will sell and advertise by grade. In this case, they must track it and show proof of grade.

LCCattle wrote:
As I said, the consumer has no way of knowing what USDA grade meat they are buying.
Sure they do. As has been pointed out several times, it's called education. I suppose those who insist on even more nanny state practices than we already have, it might be a sticking point--as they say "morons abound".

Even in the grocer's display case, the labeling is less informative than what even a high school ag class would be able to ascertain. I've seen several times where a regional chain with boxed beef, graded and marked 'choice' ribeyes but repackages and sells as 'select' because the buying public won't pay choice prices; which brings up another point. Most of the consumers don't look at the grade anyway--they just look at the price/lb or price per package.

As far as the Black Canyon meat package in the picture...I wouldn't give it a second glance.

Gray you ever eat a chicken fried or country fried steak with a bone in it. If this idiot wants a steak with a grade on it he needs to buy a ribeye or a tbone.

LCCattle":12xs6yol said:
Her is a pic of some meat I just bought at the grocery store.
It does have a Black Canyon label on it, but it does NOT have a USDA grade label on it. None of the meats I looked at had a USDA grade label on it.
In my opinion the USDA grade label should be on all beef to inform the public what grade meat they are buying. What say you ?

Why did you buy that? I look at the cut and its a pass. Not even something I would use for fajita meat. I don't need a label to tell that you are looking at terrible steak.

Write this one off. Learn to choose good cuts of meat. If that store doesn't have good cuts, go elsewhere.

backhoeboogie":39tunj03 said:
LCCattle":39tunj03 said:
It does have a Black Canyon label on it, but it does NOT have a USDA grade label on it. None of the meats I looked at had a USDA grade label on it.
In my opinion the USDA grade label should be on all beef to inform the public what grade meat they are buying. What say you ?

Why did you buy that? I look at the cut and its a pass. Not even something I would use for fajita meat. I don't need a label to tell that you are looking at terrible steak.

Write this one off. Learn to choose good cuts of meat. If that store doesn't have good cuts, go elsewhere.

I disagree BHB , You take that piece of meat along with 4 or 5 more just like it run it thru a cuber and them flour and fry it. That's a fine piece of cube steak, No gravy is needed.

backhoeboogie":3iaellv3 said:
LCCattle":3iaellv3 said:

Lol yeah I kind of thought it looked like crap too. Sickly pink color to it. And for a steak to grill, sirloin is garbage. We have something like that here called Star Valley Ranch Angus. I asked a grocery store that carried it where it came from and they said a warehouse in Norfolk (also in Nebraska). :lol: Not very good stuff. I know the butchers to go to around here.

LCCattle":j28fhpgk said:

Nor does the grocer have to since you are looking at boxed meat which is sold for value not grade. Your grocer most likely has a standing order for X pounds of commercial grade or better meat per week. The grade is displayed on the box but this is then end of the audit trail for the grocer who sells by price and not quality. If you go to a true meat market that actually has a trained butcher who sells by grade the grade must be shown and verifiable because the USDA will audit this. With unskilled labor running the meat departments in most chains the risk of failing an audit is too great to sell meat by any other method hence we have boxed meat.

The good thing about this is its cheap meat and if the market is flooded with meat you can pick up higher quality meats than what the store orders due to oversupply. If you want to buy graded meat, find a meat market that actually has a butcher and he will fix you up.

Jogeephus":16cbileu said:
LCCattle":16cbileu said:

Nor does the grocer have to since you are looking at boxed meat which is sold for value not grade. Your grocer most likely has a standing order for X pounds of commercial grade or better meat per week. The grade is displayed on the box but this is then end of the audit trail for the grocer who sells by price and not quality. If you go to a true meat market that actually has a trained butcher who sells by grade the grade must be shown and verifiable because the USDA will audit this. With unskilled labor running the meat departments in most chains the risk of failing an audit is too great to sell meat by any other method hence we have boxed meat.

The good thing about this is its cheap meat and if the market is flooded with meat you can pick up higher quality meats than what the store orders due to oversupply. If you want to buy graded meat, find a meat market that actually has a butcher and he will fix you up.

Hold on a second Jo. Are you saying a place already exists where 'the masses' could go, should they be so inclined, to purchase beef already graded. You say this place is a meat market or a butcher shop? That has an actual, true, butcher in their employ? Are you saying we don't need more regulations because there is a place already available for the services in question? Fascinating!
Ok. Sarcasm off. 2 of my uncles were butchers (real butchers). Made good living at it too. Until the demand for quality meat was overrun by the demand for cheap meat. My first 'job' was working in my uncles shop doing clean up and heavy lifting. Butcher trade is a dying art.

bball":2ywg316m said:
Hold on a second Jo. Are you saying a place already exists where 'the masses' could go, should they be so inclined, to purchase beef already graded. You say this place is a meat market or a butcher shop? That has an actual, true, butcher in their employ? Are you saying we don't need more regulations because there is a place already available for the services in question? Fascinating!
Ok. Sarcasm off. 2 of my uncles were butchers (real butchers). Made good living at it too. Until the demand for quality meat was overrun by the demand for cheap meat. My first 'job' was working in my uncles shop doing clean up and heavy lifting. Butcher trade is a dying art.

There are still a few maw and pop processing places around that do okay.

The problem I have is scheduling. They want you to schedule the date you are bringing in your steer. If he's not ready on that date, you're toast. I did find a little known place not to far away. He will take your steer and process. He also buys quality meat and sells it. I'm worried he may become too popular! LOL

There are still some Butchers at the chain stores , You just have to look for them . I always just stick my head in the door and holler , I think they took the "ring bell/buzzer for service " out of the stores if not they have them hidden now.

Dash, our local Kroger has a pic of the butcher up on the wall, but I never seen him. :???: I'm sure he is around there somewhere. Might be the butcher for 3 or 4 stores?

Boogie, I have the same situation with my local processor. You have to schedule months ahead of time, and if you need to push the date back for a steer,well, your going to be pushing it waaaay back. They process beef once a week and do hogs the rest of the time. Been using them for 10 years now and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. They do a fine job. Inspector on sight on slaughter days.

bball":391yt7w6 said:
Are you saying we don't need more regulations because there is a place already available for the services in question? Fascinating!

The regulations are why we no longer have three butcher shops in my little town. Now most meat is purchased boxed and all the training one needs to handle boxed meat is the ability to cut the plastic strap off the box and place the packages on the shelf. Of course this still proves difficult for some and there are still hurdles to overcome but as long as its cheap no one is complaining.

13048166_835080209931300_6181969545077678716_o.jpg

Latest posts