Please explain this drug label warning.

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Ivomec Cattle Pour On from Merial - topically applied, systematically active parasiticide for cattle. Contains 5 mg ivermectin per ml. Kills roundworms (including brown stomach worms), lungworms, grubs, sucking lice, biting lice, mange mites and horn flies. Dosage: 50 ml for each 1,100 lbs of body weight to be applied along the top line in the narrow strip extending from the withers to the tailhead. Cattle must not be treated within 48 days of slaughter. Not for use in female dairy cattle of breeding age, or in veal calves. 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Not for use in female cattle of breeding age? I have a handful of cows with newborns on them and a few of their yearling heifers from last year. I don't plan to breed any of these cattle for another 5 months or so. What does not for use on female cattle of breeding age mean? Thanks- :help:

If you notcie it specifies "Dairy", I would assume there may be some resdiual that affects the milk for human consumption.

What dun said.
Residues in milk marketed for human consumption would be the issue. Not allowed.
Not a problem for lactating beef cattle or their calves.

However, pour-ons are a pretty poor approach to deworming. Easy, but not very effective.

Thanks for the help, dun. I bought Agrimectin for my cattle.

(AgriMectin Cattle Wormer Pour On kills roundworms (including brown stomach worms), lungworms, grubs, sucking and biting lice, mange mites and horn flies. Agri Mectin contains 5 mg ivermectin per ml. Dosage: 50 ml per 1,100 lbs body weight applied along the topline in a narrow strip extending from the withers to the tailhead. Not for use in female dairy cattle of breeding age. 48 day slaughter withdrawal. Pour-on gun for use with 2.5 and 5 liter sizes only.)

As lucky said, pourons do a poor job of worming. Boss or Ultraboss is all we use as a pour on. For wormers we use injectables or drench.

dun":1xcc49a3 said:
As lucky said, pourons do a poor job of worming. Boss or Ultraboss is all we use as a pour on. For wormers we use injectables or drench.

I used ivomec pour on on our last worming. I thought that was a good wormer. What is a drench?

WDE, Craig. (AU '81, '85)
The pour-ons are pretty crummy products, as dewormers go. Not really all that well absorbed, a lot runs off on the ground, much of their activity is due to cows licking it off of one another and ingesting it that way. Studies have shown that in many cases, only about 1/3 of the dose administered actually gets where it needs to be to kill gastrointestinal parasites.

A 'drench' is a liquid dewormer administered by oral route.

The milk withholding on those products is typically thirty-plus days - so long that it's unrealistic to use on lactating dairy cows for any reason.
It seems an odd way to word it, but I suppose they've covered their backs if someone uses it on dry cows close to calving, or on heifers that calve unexpectedly.

Eprinex, cydectin and blaze are all nil milk withholding, though I've just used blaze on my cows for the first time and as far as I'm concerned it didn't do the job it was supposed to (fly control).
The way we use the word drench here is really confusing. We use the same word for oral wormer, pour-on wormer and giving minerals/energy stuff or other medications by mouth.

Craig Miller":jff2zmho said:
dun":jff2zmho said:

I used ivomec pour on on our last worming. I thought that was a good wormer. What is a drench?
Squirted in their mouth is as best I can describe it. I guess one of the pastes would work too. Just easier with a semiliquid and a drench gun(squirter)

jerry27150":3q2p81yy said:
I have used ivermetin pour on & injectable each on half of my calves before & weighed calves every 2 weeks & seen no diff
Did you analyze the stools before and after worming with each?

Ok i got it. Ill check with the coop and see what they have. Hopefully i wont get the same answer i got on the lick tank....

WDE Lucky. Is that where you got your vet trainig? They have an excellent agri science program. You where there during the bo years.

Latest posts