USDA label

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle said:
Bball.
The only additional cost is for the printing of the USDA grade label and having them affixed at the packing house just like CAB and Black Canyon does. Seems like a small price to pay to inform the public on exactly what they are buying.

Sorry, but you didn't answer the question. Who is going to cover the expense of printing and labeling. Sounds cheap enough, but it wouldn't be.....especially when this added fee is passed onto the producer (us). And as several have pointed out already, there just isn't a strong enough majority of beef consumers that this matters too. The average person buying their meat from Walmart is not shopping based on criteria like prime vs choice. They're shopping there for price and convenience. The more savvy shopper (typically familiar with beef) doesn't need the label- they assess the meat itself.

If there is a market for labeled beef some one will do it because some one is willing to pay for that service.

The idea that it needs to be shoved down every ones throat... both the consumer and producer... is exactly what is wrong with this country.

Brute 23":16s03ccr said:
If there is a market for labeled beef some one will do it because some one is willing to pay for that service.

The idea that it needs to be shoved down every ones throat... both the consumer and producer... is exactly what is wrong with this country.
I totally agree with you for special interest and private labeling. But we are talking about USDA grade labels which the general public, our customers, want and have a right to know. As for cost, there is no cost as the grading has already been done.
http://www.progressivecattle.com/topics ... mprovement

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsi ... 9N6xKP/#4a
&

Purpose
This Procedure sets forth the correct use of grade mark terms on meat items or packaging at all marketing levels between the point of U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) grading and the consumer to ensure the accuracy of grading terms on meat product labeling.
Please note THIS IS A DRAFT. Where it went form here only your congressman knows.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/ ... %20107.pdf

LCCattle":3jszz8iu said:
As for cost, there is no cost as the grading has already been done.

&

Grading

After meat and poultry are inspected for wholesomeness, producers and processors may request that they have products graded for quality by a licensed Federal grader. The USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (http://www.ams.usda.gov) is the agency responsible for grading meat and poultry. Those who request grading must pay for the service. Grading for quality means the evaluation of traits related to tenderness, juiciness, and flavor of meat; and, for poultry, a normal shape that is fully fleshed and meaty and free of defects.

From the USDA link YOU provided. Please note the red text. You have accused several here of not properly reading/interpreting what you write, but you have continually refused to acknowledge the actual facts. Grading is voluntary, if you mandate it for all beef, somebody will have to pay for it, and it wont be the packers, producers or retailers.

CottageFarm":ww1cpxmg said:
LCCattle":ww1cpxmg said:

&

Grading

After meat and poultry are inspected for wholesomeness, producers and processors may request that they have products graded for quality by a licensed Federal grader. The USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (http://www.ams.usda.gov) is the agency responsible for grading meat and poultry. Those who request grading must pay for the service. Grading for quality means the evaluation of traits related to tenderness, juiciness, and flavor of meat; and, for poultry, a normal shape that is fully fleshed and meaty and free of defects.

From the USDA link YOU provided. Please note the red text. You have accused several here of not properly reading/interpreting what you write, but you have continually refused to acknowledge the actual facts. Grading is voluntary, if you mandate it for all beef, somebody will have to pay for it, and it wont be the packers, producers or retailers.
Please use gloves for this anal exam so you don't get more chit on yourself.
Did you not see " Please note THIS IS A DRAFT."
Have you forgotten about the new technology in cameras and ultrasound . So do you really think maybe a $1.00 per carcass is to much?

LCCattle":2cor3rb9 said:
CottageFarm":2cor3rb9 said:
LCCattle":2cor3rb9 said:

&

Grading

Really!?! Do you read your own links???? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
That is taken from the USDA site, current regs, the same that have been in effect for decades, not the irrelevant draft to which you linked. Perhaps the exam would be less painful for you if you would acknowledge that there may be a few people here who know at least as much about the subject as you think you do

CottageFarm":1isvc51t said:
LCCattle":1isvc51t said:
CottageFarm":1isvc51t said:

Really!?! Do you read your own links???? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
That is taken from the USDA site, current regs, the same that have been in effect for decades, not the irrelevant draft to which you linked. Perhaps the exam would be less painful for you if you would acknowledge that there may be a few people here who know at least as much about the subject as you think you do
Please provide a URL for your sourse.
Have you forgotten about the new technology in cameras and ultrasound . So do you really think maybe a $1.00 per half is to much?

It seems to me the vast majority of the public is looking for lean beef because less fat is more healthy. I ran across some prime beef a while back and it was priced $3.50/lb less than the lean stuff. I questioned the butcher about it and he said the well marbled steaks just weren't selling. I then bought a couple hundred dollars of prime steaks which were wonderful and he and I both got a laugh out of it. Marbling looked like a blizzard in Montana.

Grading is not mandatory. And no, customers do NOT have the right to know. People throw that word around way too loosely these days. If consumers didn't care enough to call their congressman when they were about to trash COOL, I highly doubt they care enough about grading to make a fuss about it.

Again will try and and xplain what used to be the standard. I worked for "the beef people" for 20 yrs. In those days you had real butchers that were craftsman and would take the time to explain to ms. Jones what the grades of beef meant and it was common for Ms. Jones to only buy meat from "her" butcher . it was also common for Ms.Jones to recommend her butcher to ms. Smith and all the other lady's she ran into. The butcher was trusted as much as the preacher. Fast forward to the 90's and the profession of butcher was dwindled to nothing. The demand was for quick fast and easy. Packing houses realized they could break down the sides and package them for more profit and the new generation didn't care. So markets put people in there to price the packages and put them in the case. Again labeling was standard when it mattered and you had butchers that cared and got paid to do it. Also with education and www if a shopper is to stupid to know what they are buying they deserve to get a piece of whit leather steak. Also we as a country do not need anymore regulations. We have enough now in our lives that it keeps stupid people alive years longer than they should be.

Cottagefarm wrote
From the USDA link YOU provided. Please note the red text.
Snip
That is taken from the USDA site, current regs, the same that have been in effect for decades, not the irrelevant draft to which you linked.
OH, I see where the problem is.
YOU never read the first post or didn't understand what you read, and YOU think I am talking about the present, while I am talking about what is coming down the road after Nov. ( see the draft )
So I will stop the trumptrain and wait for you while you run back and read it.

ricebeltrancher":33sdl2sa said:
Grading is not mandatory. And no, customers do NOT have the right to know. People throw that word around way too loosely these days. If consumers didn't care enough to call their congressman when they were about to trash COOL, I highly doubt they care enough about grading to make a fuss about it.
I agree with you on COOL, but they went way overboard with it.
They should have only tagged imported cattle not all cattle. And all those signs in the grocery store told the consumers absolutely nothing except their meat could have come from a mile long list countries if not from the US.
I'm in favor of requiring all imported beef to simply be labeled as " IMPORTED from ( country of origin. ) US beef would have no imported label on it. That way the consumer knows not to buy, or to buy a particular countries beef if they don't like it.

Below is what was reported out of the meeting between Obee, Canada and Mexico last week.
" Mr. Matz said the Mexican Government removed the gazetted tariff to address the scarcity of beef in the domestic Mexican market and said the move will apply for the rest of 2016. "

this is Mexico's beef production history. Mexican beef exports have grown rapidly in recent years. Total
beef exports began increasing in 2009 and ha...ve increased from about 28 thousand metric tons in 2008 to over 161 thousand metric tons in 2015, a nearly six-fold increase.
Currently, Mexico is the tenth largest beef exporting country, exceeding Argentina for the first time in 2015. The U.S. is the largest destination for Mexican beef exports and the U.S. share of total Mexican beef exports has increased from around 60 percent a few years ago to 90 percent in 2015.
"
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/news/marke ... tinue-grow

OK, no anal exam on this one please as this is only an opinion .
I believe Australia has reach its export quota to the US and will now ship beef to Mexico who will then export it to the US under the North American free trade agreement. Flooding the US with imported beef. What do you think will do to US cattle prices?

Latest posts