update

Help Support CattleToday:

brierpatch1974

Reaction score
I just thought I would give an update since I have some time to breathe. What was going to be a slow process of clearing land turned into a rush last fall and this winter but I now have all of my land cleared, fertilized and planted. Getting good rains and grass is growing great. I know it will be a year or so before everything peaks but it is ready. my 150 acres of pasture is now 400 acres worth and my 50 acres of hay fields is now 100 acres worth. With my small herd I feel more like I am in the grass growing bussiness than the beef bussiness lol.

As far as my father in laws land. I think I am just going to prep it and hay it for a couple of years. I know we all want a lot of land but when your just starting out and learning to much of a good thing can be a pain.

But I do believe I will start searching for some more cattle since I have the room. Would like to find some bred cattle that will calve this fall. What do you guys think of having one set of cattle calving in the spring then another set calving in the fall ? Or do you just keep it all the same?

Well time to go make some phone calls. I am not picky on the breed just yet if I can get a good deal and put a few extra pennies into the bank account to help me build faster. But most profits goes to a rainy day fund is my plan.

Sounds like you have been very busy BrierPatch. Congrats on getting so much done.

I would like to hear opinions on purchasing bred cattle from some of the experience on this board. I have heard a few people make a statement when one of their heifers had problems, either birthing a calf or raising a calf, that they were going to cull it when it was bred again. In effect they were trying to minimize the loss by getting more for the cow as a bred cow knowing trouble was likely. Is this typical and reason not to purchase bred cattle, at least at a salebarn?

All my cows were purchased bred. Doing that you win some you lose some. But so far each one has calved. It's not easy to pick which ones you want to purchase but the folks here have helped me learn a lot in a short period of time.
I go into the idea knowing or expecting full well to cull half of what I buy once they calve and wean off. I don't lose anything, and as I learn I also get to learn hands on.

I have bought several cows that were bred and have good luck with them. I have bought directly off the farm and from the sale but managed to talk with the farmers to find out their reason for culling. Not all are culled because of previous problems.

I also calve twice a year spring and fall and it works well for me. I sell off the farm as freezer beef so it gives me the option to have fresh beef more than once a year. I know several other farmers with larger herds that do sell at the sale barn and find they like having income spead out a by selling twice a year and calving 1/2 each time makes calving season a little less hectic.

I have bought a few bred cows through the years, private sales, and it worked out. One I culled 2 years later for temperament.

As for calving twice a year, where I worked they calve twice a year and have done so for many years. But they have swayed more to a fall calving schedule, as in, of the twice a year calvings most were in the spring. Now the majority will be in the fall.

I, personally, have toyed with doing twice a year, and had planned to give it a whirl a few years ago but circumstances changed.

Keep up the good work.

Katherine

man you have been busy getting the pasture ready.with that much land i think id go 200acs in pasture now an 300acs in hay ground.but thats just me.

The farm I have bought most of my cattle from used to have a spring and fall calving season. He said he didn't notice much of a difference in demand/price selling weaned calves in the spring or fall to justify having 2 seasons. He has culled or held cows open so he now has just a spring calving season so he can get all his calving done at once. But the pricing and demand issue could vary depending on location I would guess.

In my opinion, calving spring and summer is the way to go. For one thing you can get more use from your bull and keep him interested instead of going through the fence. But you have to move him. Your good fall calves will bring good money in the spring. Your good Spring calves will bring average as there is a lot more competition but the price is a little higher than in the fall in most years.

But I think the real benefit is when you have a good cow miss her breeding. Maybe its her fault, maybe it yours or the weather. If you have two calving periods you can slip her into the other group. This keeps you from culling a good cow and only cost you six months of non-productivity.

Some of my best heifers missed the first go round. I have to much invested in them to give up that easy. Move them them into the next group.and give them a second chance.

bird dog

Latest posts