Update on my bull (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
Back when I first bought a bull calf to raise as a herd bull I posted some pics and got some mixed responses, but what else can you expect from this board. Its a bunch of stubborn farmers who have or will "do it their way because that's the best way to do it." (A group I'm not excluding myself from by the way. :lol: ) So what do y'all think of him now? He will be 2 in March which makes him about 19 months old. I had a BSE done 3 months ago and he passed with flying colors. His sperm was in the 90-95% live and his scrotal circumference was 36.5 cm. From what I know I think that is pretty good. Ill try and post them pics below in order from newest to lowest. I may even throw in some pics of a cow or two.

Only things I noticed was the scrotal seems a bit low for a calf that age and he doesn;t really luck like a bull, i.e. no crest. Hard to tell much else since the size of the pictures cut's off the right third of them on my computer

I am learning the art of doing bovine evaluations so my comment should be received in that spirit. Comment: The pictures of your Bull leave me with a low opinion of him. As dun said, he does not have strong secondary male characteristics (I got the whole picture). The scrotal circumference is on the low end of the metrics. i.e., my bull at 15 months had a scrotal score of 42 cm. He is not deep or heavy muscled. Personally, I think evaluations can be too harsh but in this case, candidly, I would be disappointed if I could not find a better bull.

We both live in KY. As you drive around, look at the bulls in producers pastures. Most are angus in my area. I see many many bulls in the course of a month. The average bull I see is superior to the one you have. The point, on average I believe most producers have decent bulls.

Question: South Central Ky has some nice cattle. I always think of Somerset when I think of SC KY. What town are you close to?

Latest posts