Update on rotational grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

75 days rest period.
I think we over did the rest period, what do you guys think?? Too much?? I'm afraid grass probably doesn't have the right amount of nutrients.

Attachments

• 705FEA8B-23E9-4F66-8A23-DD685F164AFF.jpeg
    705FEA8B-23E9-4F66-8A23-DD685F164AFF.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 19
What kind of grass is that

Koronivia grass (Brachiaria humidicola)

We call it humidicola. It's not the best quality. I think it tops out at 8% protein at best. However it's a great grass for areas that have terrible drainage, we don't have it all over just the low areas. I'm actually going to seed 2 hectares of cayman grass which tops out at 17% CP and another grass called mavuno which tops out at 21% CP when you have decent rainfall. Both of which are hybrids. Ones good for droughts which is mavuno and cayman which is good for low areas poor drainage.

It's all about the type of grass. If you can graze while the grass still feels soft it seems to be better. As it matures it feels rougher and the protein goes down. Some grass that might be at 10" some at 20".
If I get brown tips I'm assuming I let it rest too long..does that sound right?? Is there a way for me to test the grass on-site and do some math to come up with Crude protein content?

Chapin81, what is the grass that you are trying to manage? Different grass species are managed differently. Bermuda needs to be managed on a 16 to 24 day rotation.

Chapin81, what is the grass that you are trying to manage? Different grass species are managed differently. Bermuda needs to be managed on a 16 to 24 day rotation.

Koronivia grass (Brachiaria humidicola)

to sstterry
Your interuption still begs the question, Where is your market and where does the finished product go?
You may want to reset your compass if you are in South America looking for Guatemala..
The promptness of your response is only exceeded by the inaccuracy of the content. I would politely
remind you it is ok to allow a person time to give their own response. Given time differences he may
engaged in another endeavor that would preclude a response at the moment. I sincerely hope you
are traveling with someone who can read a map, Best wishes for the New Year!

to sstterry
Your interuption still begs the question, Where is your market and where does the finished product go?
You may want to reset your compass if you are in South America looking for Guatemala..
The promptness of your response is only exceeded by the inaccuracy of the content. I would politely
remind you it is ok to allow a person time to give their own response. Given time differences he may
engaged in another endeavor that would preclude a response at the moment. I sincerely hope you
are traveling with someone who can read a map, Best wishes for the New Year!
Pardon me, you are entirely correct and I extend my apologies.

Last edited:
So where is your market and where does the finished product go?
I'm in nyc but our cattle are in Guatemala. Everything is sold locally or to usually someone who has a permit to bring cattle to local slaughter houses. None of the beef ever makes it too far away from our country. the furthest north it will travel will be to southern Mexico. None of it heads south to El Salvador or Honduras.

I have no knowledge whatsoever about the Central American or Mexican beef market, but do you see much competition from the Argentinian Beef producers like we do here in the US? I am just curious.
Omg yes!! Imported beef Rules over national.
The reason is where it came from and what the steer was fed. For example...we only feed grass. Others feed chicken poop mixed with molasses and hay/corn. The slang term down there used is "we feed them chocolate" I refuse to feed ours chicken poop, not happening.

2. quality. most poor producers keep a calf as a herd sire and inbreed them, causing bag growth from what I have seen first hand and to supplement what's loss in size they will use anabolic steroids to beef them up. I refuse to do that as well.

i started rotational grazing in September and it's my first time managing this project since December 2019.
I linked a vid of the cattle grazing this AM I also don't have the best genetics due to lack of investment in good bulls. I started using registered bulls in January 2020 (110/8)is a Woodson de Manso son. and the 2nd one (267)a Clanton de Manso son. started working in September 2020.

Attachments

• 5032E14F-29A7-4963-A9DA-8AAE93646E5A.jpeg
    5032E14F-29A7-4963-A9DA-8AAE93646E5A.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 3
  • A76E20F9-286D-4630-9814-8034D362B4E4.jpeg
    A76E20F9-286D-4630-9814-8034D362B4E4.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 3
Omg yes!! Imported beef Rules over national.
The reason is where it came from and what the steer was fed. For example...we only feed grass. Others feed chicken poop mixed with molasses and hay/corn. The slang term down there used is "we feed them chocolate" I refuse to feed ours chicken poop, not happening.

2. quality. most poor producers keep a calf as a herd sire and inbreed them, causing bag growth from what I have seen first hand and to supplement what's loss in size they will use anabolic steroids to beef them up. I refuse to do that as well.

i started rotational grazing in September and it's my first time managing this project since December 2019.
I linked a vid of the cattle grazing this AM I also don't have the best genetics due to lack of investment in good bulls. I started using registered bulls in January 2020 (110/8)is a Woodson de Manso son. and the 2nd one (267)a Clanton de Manso son. started working in September 2020.

Sorry to keep pestering you, but does anyone in that area cross the Brahman with the British or Continental Breeds? I ask because here in the southeast we don't see a lot of Brahma or Brahman crosses.
[h3][/h3]

Sorry to keep pestering you, but does anyone in that area cross the Brahman with the British or Continental Breeds? I ask because here in the southeast we don't see a lot of Brahma or Brahman crosses.
Your not pestering, no worries. Many years ago we started breeding registered brahman bulls with Zebu cattle. Gyr,nelore, guzerat and Indu brazil commercial not purebreds, due to certain reasons my father was advised inappropriately(we started using commercial Brahmans) Our genetics or traits started to disappear with what was being worked with. The big difference was steers would take 2+years to grow to 1000lbs or more , it used to take 18 months or so all grass fed. What I have seen is that producers with limited resources will crossbreed with anything. For example "brahman" not purebred X holstein not pure bred as well mixed with brown or jersey, and it looks like something that I wouldn't buy. Or nelore not purebred with anything commercial. Do we have Bos taurus yes we do but only the wealthy who have the resources to import them or embryos, semen. The only breed I have not seen is Hereford, angus. I have seen brangus but very very few, simmental fleckvieh very few imported from Mexico. Charolais we have but only in cool weather areas, we're we are it's usually 85F+everyday summertime it's usually 100F+ hope this answers your question.

Last edited: