Two for sale at the beef expo, Louisville

Help Support CattleToday:

Attractive heifers. Not sure I really like the way either one moves. The blaze faced heifer appears to be roach topped to me. Not bad heifers but appears there is a reason they are on the sale instead of home in te keeper pen.

Jake":3ffecrli said:
Attractive heifers. Not sure I really like the way either one moves. The blaze faced heifer appears to be roach topped to me. Not bad heifers but appears there is a reason they are on the sale instead of home in te keeper pen.
I agree Jake, and we did not see them walk while we were there because he had them tied up for the first time, halter breaking the for the sale. I mentioned to Inyeti in a private message that I did not care for the video of the heifers, and the baldy seamed roachy on the move. But I bet the ground was frozen when they video taped them because they both are walking funny. Just a guess.
But that will help drive the price down for Inyeti.... ;-)

Fire Sweep Ranch":1ektyf4j said:
Jake":1ektyf4j said:
I agree Jake, and we did not see them walk while we were there because he had them tied up for the first time, halter breaking the for the sale. I mentioned to Inyeti in a private message that I did not care for the video of the heifers, and the baldy seamed roachy on the move. But I bet the ground was frozen when they video taped them because they both are walking funny. Just a guess.
But that will help drive the price down for Inyeti.... ;-)

They appear to move ok on the front end. The black heifer is by far the better of the two. The baldy will probably make a fine cow but she sure wouldn't be one I try to raise seed stock out of.

Best of luck Ron. Hope you get em.

HughesFamilyCattle":1v22lwtm said:
inyati13":1v22lwtm said:
Disclaimer: This is not an attempt at advertisement. Kris (Fire Sweep) and I saw these two at Misty Meadows Farm. From my perspective, I hope they sell cheap. :) Putting them up for your entertainment only. They will sell in Louisville KY at the 2015 Beef Expo.

You Tube MMF TRACY B203 and MMF ALLIE B206.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaDzmnA3Jgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWgfmwgzAqA

Hey Ron,

Those are nice. I bought a lot of my Simmental's out of the beef expo. Its a fun time. Hopefully, I'll see you at it. I've missed it the last 2 years going to UK Basketball games but my son is getting close to show age and I want to take him back this year. I'll pm you before then.

Keith, 17-0. They have a good team. I bet you are proud!

I will definitely hook-up with you. Thanks.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1chy6o5d said:
inyati13":1chy6o5d said:
glacierridge":1chy6o5d said:
Ron are you buying this pair for me for my birthday this year?
I think these would work.
:)

Now it won't be a surprise! :D

Hey now, I saw them first. IF anyone gets one for their birthday, it should be me! Plus, my birthday WAS yesterday, sorry Glacierridge :nod: ..... It could be a belated birthday. I'll even pay to ship her here.... :lol2:

How about one for each of us, you have first pick?

glacierridge":3bc8huvy said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3bc8huvy said:
glacierridge":3bc8huvy said:
Ron are you buying this pair for me for my birthday this year?
I think these would work.
:)

Hey now, I saw them first. IF anyone gets one for their birthday, it should be me! Plus, my birthday WAS yesterday, sorry Glacierridge :nod: ..... It could be a belated birthday. I'll even pay to ship her here.... :lol2:

How about one for each of us, you have first pick?

You girls are worth every penny of it! :D

Let's get this straight once and for all, FSW, so that the Cattle Today board members here understand about the Simmental and Simangus. There are two sectors within Simmental: the Performance Sector and the Show Sector. My analogy, though harsh, is just to better differentiate between the two for better understanding.

The Performance Sector are the breeders that take all the data. We are the members of the Total Herd Enrollment (THE) Program, Carcass Merit Program (CMP); we send our bulls to test stations; we collect the data on CE, BW, WW, YW, MCE, MWW, MM, DOC, YG, Marb, BF, Shr, API, TI, Scrotal, Hip Heights, Ultrasound, frame scores, etc. and this is where the EPD's and Indices are derived from.

The Show Sector are the breeders that put in little or usually no data in the system. They are not members of Total Herd Enrollment (THE), they don't support the Carcass Merit Program (CMP); they don't put bulls in state Bull test stations and they are usually the first ones to tell you that EPD's are not worth anything. Even though they do not collect any data they use the data.

My analogy for this is the Tax Payer and the Welfare Recipient.

The Tax Payer, being the members of the Performance Sector; add to the till in the form of data collection. We are the ones that provide all the information for the EPD's and Indices. We have been propping up the Show Sector for decades as they utilize and benefit from the data we collect. It's just like the tax payer paying the way for the welfare recipient.

The Performance Sector is more commercially focused as we think that any breed association that is not commercially focused would be a dying breed. We are the Tax Payers providing for the Welfare Recips.

The Welfare Recipient, being the members of the Show Sector; add nothing to the till, yet benefit from those who do all the work. They are the first ones to tell you that you should base your quality assessments on Phenotype. They are the ones who have been able to stay in business by keeping the misinformed and/or ill-informed buyer in the dark on EPD's and Indices. These are the people raising show cattle that have no supporting data of any quality parameters, because they do not input any datatheir data is derived from the Performance Sector.

Surely not every single person on these boards is driven by the Show sector. I don't know a single cattle buyer that has ever asked me if I had an ex-show bull or heifer that was a shoe box with legs available. Not once.

It's fine with me if you want to buy a bull or cow based on phenotype alone, if you like the shoe box with legs or you feel that EPD's and Indices are worth very little, however, I did want you to know what has been going on in the Simmental and Simangus business for a very long time.

It is simple - if you need a bull that is more commercially focused (real data) you should be buying one from a member of the Performance Sector.

If you are deep into the show circuit and your management begins and ends with a feed bucket – then a bull from the Show Sector would work just fine for you.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1kqnvod8 said:
Yet you are wrong. Here is her registration link: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=2894560
All I had to do was a quick search of her tattoo number, the ASA herd book is a wonderful tool to search all kinds of information on breeders and animals alike.
Looks pretty good EPD wise, but I have seen both these heifers in person and they are better than they were pictured. We saw them unclipped and in their natural state. They are NOT show heifers, but the guy who raises them does not claim to raise show cattle. They have not been fed hard. We have seen his weaning weights and paycheck from the sale barn on his calves sold at the barn in December. They are made genetically easy going, as evidence of the rest of the cows at that place. The proof is not in the EPD, but the ACTUAL weight those calves weighed when they walked across the scale at 30 days post weaning. EPDs are a tool we use in our tool box, and I'll take what I see as more proof than a number on a sheet of paper.
Mr. Davis, your quick attack on other breeders yet touting you have the "top EPD" cattle does not bode well with others. I did a quick search last night on the database of the ASA, and there are red cattle that are percentage and purebred that have a higher API than your girl you pointed out.
Go ahead and get on your soap box of rightessness, but I bet you are turning more people off your from buying your genetics than driving customers into your facility.

RegCowman":2ent1ffr said:
Let's get this straight once and for all, FSW, so that the Cattle Today board members here understand about the Simmental and Simangus. There are two sectors within Simmental: the Performance Sector and the Show Sector. My analogy, though harsh, is just to better differentiate between the two for better understanding.

The Performance Sector are the breeders that take all the data. We are the members of the Total Herd Enrollment (THE) Program, Carcass Merit Program (CMP); we send our bulls to test stations; we collect the data on CE, BW, WW, YW, MCE, MWW, MM, DOC, YG, Marb, BF, Shr, API, TI, Scrotal, Hip Heights, Ultrasound, frame scores, etc. and this is where the EPD's and Indices are derived from.

The Show Sector are the breeders that put in little or usually no data in the system. They are not members of Total Herd Enrollment (THE), they don't support the Carcass Merit Program (CMP); they don't put bulls in state Bull test stations and they are usually the first ones to tell you that EPD's are not worth anything. Even though they do not collect any data they use the data.

You know, I really should not engage. But I can not let this one go.
Bull crap! I am THE, and I submit the same data you do. I take birth weights, weaning weights, yearling weights, docility, scrotal measurements, and everything I can before the animal leaves my possession. I can name you 100's of "show sector" breeders that do this, that are THE and promote the same data collection. They are the ones that promoted us to do the same when we got started. We submit all of our data on steers we have fed out.
So, once again, put up some pictures of your fabulous stock. I have, do a search.

FlyingLSimmentals":17l5el0w said:
Well I like trying to have some with a balance of performance and show ability.

That is ours too. They must go home and perform, and not every heifer in the barn makes a show heifer. We will never win Denver, or Louisville, but we sure have fun teaching our kids lessons of hard work and genetic mating of their animals.

Latest posts