Two for sale at the beef expo, Louisville

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Yea they'll probably have to give those two away just so they don't have to haul em back to the farm. Especially that one with chrome. :)

RegCowman":3oxe9uxy said:
Yep the shoe box with legs --this is what most of the Simmental have turned into -- lets look at the numbers
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action...t_performAnimalSearch=T&animalNumbers=2894569
These are for those guys who that buy cattle based on Phenotype and feed bucket performance. Pretty good carcass merit numbers, but all the production traits are a crap sandwich.
MMF Allie isnt Registered

Shoe box with legs seems to apply generally to all ungulates. Maybe it could be refined to say a pig is a sawed off log with legs. Regardless, it is too general a statement to mean anything significant. If you have a message, may I be so bold as to request that you state your thesis and then support it with information. Hopefully, more credible than commentary. You may be surprised to discover that there are users here who want to learn. If you have a thesis, please share it. The forum needs some entertainment. The most significant dynamic in the last year has been beating up on cowgirl8. :D

In regard to EPDs, I plea ignorance. I cannot figure out why the low birth weight EPD bulls I have been using are throwing 100 pound calves every which way I turn. :D

Stay around, you have the makings of an entertaining user. :lol:

Is it me or do the photos look like they have been touched up? The backline is too straight to be natural I think and the tail head area looks to square. Maybe it is me but a lot of the registered catalog photos seem this way. I would rather look at untouched photos than be disappointed when seeing the animal in person.

tom4018":3n94q7v4 said:
Is it me or do the photos look like they have been touched up? The backline is too straight to be natural I think and the tail head area looks to square. Maybe it is me but a lot of the registered catalog photos seem this way. I would rather look at untouched photos than be disappointed when seeing the animal in person.

Tom, I do not know. I only observed the videos like everyone else as a link to youtube. I never go to youtube so I had to get help to even play the video. Fire Sweep and I did see these two heifers when we were on tour. I hope to attend the Expo as a means of entertainment. I would bid on the blaze face heifer if she does not go too high.

Well for starters the CE EPD is what one would use to breed for calving ease and not BW -- due to the fact that BW can change more drastically because it can fluctuate with management or environment.. Or your cows EPD for CE may be a crap sammich as well or your cattle may just be under less than optimal mgmt
:welcome: to the new millennium

inyati13":30qkpi4y said:
In regard to EPDs, I plea ignorance. I cannot figure out why the low birth weight EPD bulls I have been using are throwing 100 pound calves every which way I turn. :D

RegCowman":32ec0c36 said:
Yep the shoe box with legs --this is what most of the Simmental have turned into -- lets look at the numbers
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action...t_performAnimalSearch=T&animalNumbers=2894569
These are for those guys who that buy cattle based on Phenotype and feed bucket performance. Pretty good carcass merit numbers, but all the production traits are a crap sandwich.
MMF Allie isnt Registered

Yet you are wrong. Here is her registration link: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=2894560
All I had to do was a quick search of her tattoo number, the ASA herd book is a wonderful tool to search all kinds of information on breeders and animals alike.
Looks pretty good EPD wise, but I have seen both these heifers in person and they are better than they were pictured. We saw them unclipped and in their natural state. They are NOT show heifers, but the guy who raises them does not claim to raise show cattle. They have not been fed hard. We have seen his weaning weights and paycheck from the sale barn on his calves sold at the barn in December. They are made genetically easy going, as evidence of the rest of the cows at that place. The proof is not in the EPD, but the ACTUAL weight those calves weighed when they walked across the scale at 30 days post weaning. EPDs are a tool we use in our tool box, and I'll take what I see as more proof than a number on a sheet of paper.
Mr. Davis, your quick attack on other breeders yet touting you have the "top EPD" cattle does not bode well with others. I did a quick search last night on the database of the ASA, and there are red cattle that are percentage and purebred that have a higher API than your girl you pointed out.
Go ahead and get on your soap box of rightessness, but I bet you are turning more people off your from buying your genetics than driving customers into your facility.

good you found her .................

Now onto the red Z 01 individual -- I guess you didn't look hard enough or you missed some parameters there.
go to EPD search
Breed type (Simangus)
sex (Cow)
Registered (Yes)
Animal Type (Active Parent)
Sort By (API)
Sort Order (Descending)
Color (R)
API -- move bar over to 150 to 248
TI move bar over to 85 to 129
Push "Search"
In my attempt 3 animals came up and you will see that EDR Ghillie Z 01 is the highest API / TI Red breeding age 1/2 SM 1/2 AN female in the database. If you look a bit deeper you will also find she carries no legacy bloodlines and she is TF for DD........, which not all can say. Actually her 1st calf is the highest API / TI red female on the planet -- here she is https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action...ntSubmit_displayAnimal=T&animalNumber=2816270
Let me know if I can assist you further in navigating the EPD Search function at ASA

Yet you are wrong. Here is her registration link: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=2894560
All I had to do was a quick search of her tattoo number, the ASA herd book is a wonderful tool to search all kinds of information on breeders and animals alike.
Looks pretty good EPD wise, but I have seen both these heifers in person and they are better than they were pictured. We saw them unclipped and in their natural state. They are NOT show heifers, but the guy who raises them does not claim to raise show cattle. They have not been fed hard. We have seen his weaning weights and paycheck from the sale barn on his calves sold at the barn in December. They are made genetically easy going, as evidence of the rest of the cows at that place. The proof is not in the EPD, but the ACTUAL weight those calves weighed when they walked across the scale at 30 days post weaning. EPDs are a tool we use in our tool box, and I'll take what I see as more proof than a number on a sheet of paper.
Mr. Davis, your quick attack on other breeders yet touting you have the "top EPD" cattle does not bode well with others. I did a quick search last night on the database of the ASA, and there are red cattle that are percentage and purebred that have a higher API than your girl you pointed out.
Go ahead and get on your soap box of rightessness, but I bet you are turning more people off your from buying your genetics than driving customers into your facility.

Has she actually had a calf of her own and raised it? Lets see some pictures of her with a calf.

As much as you say you hate show, going the polar opposite direction is no good either.

Shoebox with legs? That's part of what makes a good cow, good length, a spring of ribs, and meat on the bones... Of course she has to have the pelvic size to calf out, milk to feed it, and be able to breed back.

inyati13":1vmwzvku said:
Tom, I do not know. I only observed the videos like everyone else as a link to youtube. I never go to youtube so I had to get help to even play the video..

The videos are screwy too. They're sped up, or at the very least recorded oddly.

Ron maybe I'll get to see those heifers in person. I usually will try and attend the KY Beef Expo or the TN Beef Agribition. I think I missed both last year. Hopefully I can get to one this year. Herd is pretty much at full capacity therefore I probably won't be bidding but just supporting the state sales and getting to meet other breeders and producers. I have thought about selling my heifers and buying different bloodlines but I really like my red girls. I think I'll AI them to the King Pin bull that Genex has and then put them with my new Packin Heat blaze face bull to be sure they do get bred. Any way that's what I'm thinking now. Who knows maybe we'll both get there and get stuck bidding on the same one :eek: .

inyati13":3nbdmnn5 said:
Disclaimer: This is not an attempt at advertisement. Kris (Fire Sweep) and I saw these two at Misty Meadows Farm. From my perspective, I hope they sell cheap. :) Putting them up for your entertainment only. They will sell in Louisville KY at the 2015 Beef Expo.

You Tube MMF TRACY B203 and MMF ALLIE B206.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaDzmnA3Jgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWgfmwgzAqA

Hey Ron,

Those are nice. I bought a lot of my Simmental's out of the beef expo. Its a fun time. Hopefully, I'll see you at it. I've missed it the last 2 years going to UK Basketball games but my son is getting close to show age and I want to take him back this year. I'll pm you before then.

inyati13":1c82aura said:
glacierridge":1c82aura said:
Ron are you buying this pair for me for my birthday this year?
I think these would work.
:)

Now it won't be a surprise! :D

Hey now, I saw them first. IF anyone gets one for their birthday, it should be me! Plus, my birthday WAS yesterday, sorry Glacierridge :nod: ..... It could be a belated birthday. I'll even pay to ship her here.... :lol2:

Latest posts