Twins or Hippo cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowspider

Reaction score
Do Angus have twins often?? or is she a hippo cross??
100_0321.jpg
[/[/img]img]

I would guess mostly gas and rumen fill. Because of the forage base we have most of our cows look like that when they're not bred.

dun

She is due any hour now. She is always wide but this is even big for her.
I wandered if angus have twins often? she is a good mother just sprung real bad in the rib area.

from my experiences with twins which is pretty limited, you would never guess by appearance that the cow that has twins is carrying them. Conversely ive never seen a HUGE cow have twins. but unless you have a feel or an ultrasound done you cant really know until they start coming.

cowspider":1ab2fb1p said:
I wandered if angus have twins often? she is a good mother just sprung real bad in the rib area.

It does almost look like the calf has dropped down in that 1st pic.

i could be wrong, but she still looks like she could be a few days off to me... jmo

has she started bagging up yet? hard for me to tell from the picture..

then again, i've been wrong many times in the past... she could calve tonight.. :lol: seems like i get too anxious when mine look like that... i say anyday for a couple of weeks and then just about give up on em... and then they calve.. :lol:

good luck..

jt

cowspider":2f6mfjo4 said:
======
cowspider,

I am not aware that angus has twins any more often than any other breed. I read somewhere some time ago..I believe it is like 1 in 150,-250,000 births. I don't believe her delivery is imminent as of this timing...would believe you have a few days to go. Her vulva has not enlarged as much as it will before birth...some can fool you.

Twins?........I have seen twins from a cow with the size of her /smaller/larger...I don't especially see her size as an indicator of twins.

What has her calves weighed in the past? Looking at her structure... large calf most likely....70-80 #.

Her bag appears to be filling a little bit...but some fill just hours before delivery...others walk around for days with milk running out with each step.

Without a scan....just be suprised. 8)

I got a bull that looks like that....guts all stickin out the sides.

As far as her... probably a single but a big single had a heifer(900#) like that. she had a 78 # bull calf (slightly assisted). Had another cow that looked like that and had one 30# calf and another that had a 120+# stillborn calf.

Ya never know till they are on the ground.

Hope for a healthy one.

Shelby

Well, for some reason I can't see your pictures but with both the sets of twins that we have had there was no size indication of twins. The first set the cow was giving so much nutrition to the calves that she got really sick. We had to have the vet out to dose her with a bunch of vitamins and minerals (and some other stuff too) and about a week later she popped out twins. The vet told us that she would calve in a week or so but didn't say that there were twins for sure. The set we had this year were out of a really framy Heinz 57 cow the first was a bull who was probably around 70 pounds and the second, born over two hours later, was at least 90. The one thing that we noticed (in hindsight) were that both cows were EXCEPTIONALLY sloppy/relaxed in the hind end, hanging open laying down etc. We knew the "usual sloppiness" for these girls before calving from previous years, but didn't put the two together until after.
Several of our cows are huge before calving and look like they could have another still in there - but they don't. We have a couple that don't show the calf until it is on the ground and the younger ones end up a rack of bones after calving.

I just had a 3 yr old like that calve a couple days. (red angus). She was huge and had a huge bag and everyone who saw her asked if she was gonna have twins. She had to of been miserable carrying around all that extra weight. But only a single heifer calf, but it was 84#s. That was the first calf I have ever weighed. Is that a large calf? What is the normal birthing range for heifer moms and the range for 3-6 yr old cows?

eric":3gkjw2vg said:
I just had a 3 yr old like that calve a couple days. (red angus). She was huge and had a huge bag and everyone who saw her asked if she was gonna have twins. She had to of been miserable carrying around all that extra weight. But only a single heifer calf, but it was 84#s. That was the first calf I have ever weighed. Is that a large calf? What is the normal birthing range for heifer moms and the range for 3-6 yr old cows?
===========
eric,

Not aware of stats available based on age of mom. Generally depends on the sire genetics. But 84# is on the large side for any mom...and a heifer delivering it without help...count your blessings and give thanks.

has she calved yet?? if so.. twins?

keep us posted..

jt

Latest posts