Trying to save our fish

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score

Just had a thunderstorm come out of nowhere. 2 inches in less than 30 minutes. The tanks running over like a sob . Me and the top hand just built this little wall of riprap . We're pretty proud of our catfish. This water stays on the place for good distance. I'll ride down it in the morning to see if I see any.
The fish guy is scheduled to be at the feed store in the morning. I've ordered 200 of those hybrid blue s lavaca was showing off. I'll send the top hand to pick them up. Hope for the best

Good luck! Wish we were getting some of that rain.
The Feds are making us give up our irrigation water for the Salmon. Irrigating tonight and they say that's it! (Unless the water district gets a "stay" from the judge.) They are shutting it down.
Needless to say, I am NOT happy about the fish right now!! Loosing our water is going to hurt not only all the livestock producers but all the growers, which to me is more important than the Fish. :roll: But what do I know.......

branguscowgirl":3hmv7om9 said:
The Feds are making us give up our irrigation water for the Salmon. Irrigating tonight and they say that's it! (Unless the water district gets a "stay" from the judge.) They are shutting it down.
Needless to say, I am NOT happy about the fish right now!! Loosing our water is going to hurt not only all the livestock producers but all the growers, which to me is more important than the Fish. :roll: But what do I know.......
Maybe CT member Flounder will come in here and post a rebuttal to that............. from a fish's point of view........
(let us hope not)
:hide:

branguscowgirl":36enlbue said:

We all lose/lost, you lose quicker. So very sorry. :frowns: Looking at this trade deal that's being pushed... There's just a lack of wisdom and grit in people of America today.

If not careful, hunger will be upon them.

fenceman":7mgkh4ju said:

Just had a thunderstorm come out of nowhere. 2 inches in less than 30 minutes. The tanks running over like a sob . Me and the top hand just built this little wall of riprap . We're pretty proud of our catfish. This water stays on the place for good distance. I'll ride down it in the morning to see if I see any.
The fish guy is scheduled to be at the feed store in the morning. I've ordered 200 of those hybrid blue s lavaca was showing off. I'll send the top hand to pick them up. Hope for the best

What size are you trying to save? Fingerlings?

Commercialfarmer":1896ufhh said:
branguscowgirl":1896ufhh said:

We all lose/lost, you lose quicker. So very sorry. :frowns: Looking at this trade deal that's being pushed... There's just a lack of wisdom and grit in people of America today.

If not careful, hunger will be upon them.
Sadly, up until now, it has mostly been the right, that is siding with the prez and supporting this trade thing.
We have lost our way and are now wandering in the dark.

The dam, dams at work again. The fish or indian's didn't have any water problems, till the white man showed up.
Population control is what we need and no one want's to address the problem. We are the problem.

fenceman":3er9xr27 said:

Wish you luck. I just put 200 more hybrid cat fingerlings and a hundred large mouth in one of my ponds two months ago and it has rained almost every day since. I sure hope some of them stayed in. I haven't started to see any of them come up for feed yet. Where did you get yours from? Got mine from Heneke's just outside Hallettsville.

Ended up driving 5 hours round trip to lavacas guy to get my hybrid blue s. I think it was worth it. Much better outfit than I've been dealing with. 400 going in this tank , 100 in smaller tank. I think their big enough to get past my channel catfish.

lavacarancher":2ikhjzyu said:
fenceman":2ikhjzyu said:

Wish you luck. I just put 200 more hybrid cat fingerlings and a hundred large mouth in one of my ponds two months ago and it has rained almost every day since. I sure hope some of them stayed in. I haven't started to see any of them come up for feed yet. Where did you get yours from? Got mine from Heneke's just outside Hallettsville.
will the hybrid blues reproduce?

highgrit":3cpkrgws said:
Population control is what we need and no one want's to address the problem. We are the problem.

So much truth and taboo in such a brief statement. Have two sons in college, and son #1 and I were just discussing this yesterday. Seems Eugenics is becoming a popular topic in colleges nowadays...incredible implications, moral dilemmas, etc

fenceman":32uwkx2v said:

Ended up driving 5 hours round trip to lavacas guy to get my hybrid blue s. I think it was worth it. Much better outfit than I've been dealing with. 400 going in this tank , 100 in smaller tank. I think their big enough to get past my channel catfish.
That is a very nice pond.

You can get incredible growth out of those fingerlings sometimes. A few years ago I put some Murray Cod fingerlings in a fairly new dam I had built and they were only about 3/4" long when I released them and 13 months later I found one floating near the edge and it was about a foot long and weighed just over a 1kg, I couldn't believe it but it could only have been from the ones I put in as it was a new dam which was at the headwaters of a small creek with no water flowing into it. Murray Cod can grow to over 1 metre and will actually breed in impoundments if there is periodically water flowing in and out of them. Unfortunately I have not seen any sign of my fish since so maybe he was the only survivor. I might try putting out some set lines one day to see if I can tempt any other survivors.
Ken

highgrit":1g5ucyn8 said:
The dam, dams at work again. The fish or indian's didn't have any water problems, till the white man showed up.

I keep hearing people say that, but never ever once, have I heard of one single person that yells about population control, actually step up and lead by example.Every single one of them is still around, still using resources, breathing air, drinking water, making farts just like everyone else. Odd how that has always been.

branguscowgirl":24lw8kim said:
fenceman":24lw8kim said:

Thanks, here in Texas we Call them tanks. It is my current obsession.
I have this plan to build a wonderful place where my new grandson will become addicted to the outdoors, as my grandfather did for me.
It can change the direction of a young man's life.
On the creeks... off the streets...

I don't know about the hybrid blues reproducing. Now I'm wondering myself. I'll look into it.

fenceman":1gjw18jz said:
branguscowgirl":1gjw18jz said:
fenceman":1gjw18jz said:

I have this plan to build a wonderful place where my new grandson will become addicted to the outdoors, as my grandfather did for me.
It can change the direction of a young man's life.
On the creeks... off the streets...

I don't know about the hybrid blues reproducing. Now I'm wondering myself. I'll look into it.
You getting a little wet over there today buddy? What did you find out about those blue cats? I think they will eat you out of house and home if you don't feed em.

Mr Heneke told me NO they will not reproduce. HOWEVER, I have several smaller than they should be cats that had to come from somewhere. Also another fish hatchery told me they would reproduce. So I guess the answer is maybe.

Nice looking tank!

When fisheries first started selling channel catfish they also said they wouldn't reproduce. Found out pretty quickly that they would.

I think that is a great "obsession"!
I also have certain things that I want to share with my grandchildren and for them to create fond memories of. I am just afraid that they will get to be too busy to hang out with grandma........

Anyway, I guess I better get better at speaking like a Texan! I have never heard ponds called "tanks". I am learnin. :mrgreen:

Latest posts