Trying to prepare for winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Weather folks say we could get .25"-.75" freezing rain, then sleet and snow on top of that Thursday evening into Friday morning. Raining today then the temperatures drop for tomorrow.
Got the 2 heifers with their new 50 lb babies, and 4 more heifers that could calve anytime up to the barn this morning.
Got some more propane in case the power goes out.
Planning to put out some extra hay tomorrow before the ice.
Hoping it doesn't get as bad as they are talking.
Hope everybody that has been or will be in the path of this weather system will get through it ok.

I can deal with rain, snow, negative temps. But I hate the ice! Rained all day yesterday, turned into snow & up to 10" predicted - and negative wind chills. Good luck with those calves!

We are all good in west central wi. The worst of it is suppose to go south of us. Kenny, where are you delivering a trailer to in wi?

It is too late for us to prepare for winter. Winter has been going on for 2 months +. We haven't had a night time temperature above freezing for a little over 2 months. Ready or not the calves start appearing in less than two weeks.

Started icing here around6 PM. Not too bad out yet, grass is just getting crunchy. Let's hope we don't get the big ice they're calling for.

We missed the ice! Thank Gawd!

Very cold and couple inches of sleet, snow. Wind is terrible too. So far Bessie and Ellie Moo are still holding tight. Hopefully they hold a couple more days.

A friend was checking mamas today. She calved successfully only to knock the calf in the creek while drying him off. Calf didn't make it 😕 😒 😔 😪

Hope every one else stays warm and dry!

Hope you guys in the path of the storm ok.
I have a trip to Wisconsin but told the dispatcher it could wait until Sunday night for Monday morning delivery.
They tried to send me NE of KC straight into it, told them the same thing. Sleet hit about 6pm last night, about 3in of snow on top now, and the N wind is brutal.

It's been sleeting here all night and still is, supposed to change over to snow throughout the day. Wind is howling, 24 degrees with a wind chill of 12. I know to y'all northerners that's not cold but to an Arkansas boy that deals with 100 degree summers, that's dang cold.
A guy that works for me at my dayjob used to work a feedlot in South Dakota, said our cold is worse than up there because it is such a wet cold.

Latest posts