Winter jackets

Help Support CattleToday:

4hfarms

Reaction score
Ok so most of the year I wear my firehose Duluth jean jacket sometimes with a sweatshirt because it has snaps. The firehose jacket is barbed wire proof.
It was 22deg this morning so I went for the medium weight and it's a Carhartt with a zip and wind flap. Comfy enough today.
I also have an extreme weather from Duluth that I wear when it goes negative. Have never been cold with this one!

Being that I have all my animals on or farm here at home, I can most of the time see it all in 15-30 min as I walk the farm. Would take longer to warm up the truck!

As I get older, the cold gets colder!
Just wondering how y all stay warm?
What brands do you depend on?

Typically I've always warn coveralls. Younger days it Wall's or Big Ben's. Always thought Carhartts were to bulky, but once I started wearing Carharts I didn't know how I got along with out them.
My wife ordered me a TrueWerk coat the warmest they make. It's not as bulky as a Carhartt. It's real warm, sometimes I wear a flannel or fleece under it out of habit and face to come in and change after working up a sweat. If it's real cold like under 30 I'll wear a pair of lined blue jeans.
For a winter hat the best I've found is a Carhartt insulated with ear flaps.

So far this winter I have got by with a vest and a heavy Duluth shirt-jacket over it.
I almost never wear coveralls as I find them restrictive and too hot when I am walking or doing any work.
I have a heavy Carhartt type coat for when it is below 20 degrees and windy. In single figures I may put on some bibs over my jeans.
With the heater in the truck and a fire in the house, I am hardly ever cold.
Some of my best winter coats have been those retired from wearing on Sunday to church. They are light and warm.
I wear a cap, more to cover my unruly balding head than for its warmth.
17 degrees here this morning and still cold after noon, vest and shirt-jac was all I needed.
I do not think the cows would recognize me if my attire was not a little thread bare and mud stained.

If I'm doing much of anything it's a flannel over a t shirt.

When it gets below 20 the hoodie and Duluth shirt jacket is the go to. I've had mine for probably ten years, it's getting in pretty rough shape but it's been great. I need to buy another.

Bellow zero, I have an arctic lined carhartt. It gets worn a few days every year or three, still not even broken in.

I prefer the Berne insulated bibs, they have the zipper down the chest. Had good luck with them. For wet work I break out my Wick bibs. Any coon hunters will be familiar with them. They cut wind better than anything.

Anything below 40 and I typically wear carhartt bib coveralls with a hoodie and long sleeve shirt and tshirt, if it gets colder I'll put on a coat or might wear a thin layer long handles. Most days here I can start with the coveralls and hoodie and shed clothes as the day goes and put back on as the sun starts to go down. I have a drake coat that is waterproof and well insulated but has to be pretty cold top wear it. For going places I generally just wear a vest over my shirt. One of the longest lasting all around coats I ever had was the carhartt chore coat, it had buttons on the sleeves instead of elastic. I find elastic don't last long. I probably had that coat over 10 years and had been wore a ton.

Anything below 40 and I typically wear carhartt bib coveralls with a hoodie and long sleeve shirt and tshirt, if it gets colder I'll put on a coat or might wear a thin layer long handles. Most days here I can start with the coveralls and hoodie and shed clothes as the day goes and put back on as the sun starts to go down. I have a drake coat that is waterproof and well insulated but has to be pretty cold top wear it. For going places I generally just wear a vest over my shirt. One of the longest lasting all around coats I ever had was the carhartt chore coat, it had buttons on the sleeves instead of elastic. I find elastic don't last long. I probably had that coat over 10 years and had been wore a ton.
I don't care for the elastic sleeves or waistbands on coats either.

If I'm doing much of anything it's a flannel over a t shirt.

When it gets below 20 the hoodie and Duluth shirt jacket is the go to. I've had mine for probably ten years, it's getting in pretty rough shape but it's been great. I need to buy another.

Bellow zero, I have an arctic lined carhartt. It gets worn a few days every year or three, still not even broken in.

I prefer the Berne insulated bibs, they have the zipper down the chest. Had good luck with them. For wet work I break out my Wick bibs. Any coon hunters will be familiar with them. They cut wind better than anything.
The Wick bibs must be 20 years old. I have a pair but they have lots of wear on them.

I have a favorite tan Carharrt short waisted quilted coat that I have worn for years . The sleeves are getting threadbare around the cuffs . I have a couple more carhart , but they are longer coats. Have considered retiring old brown but just can't bring myself to throw it away .

So far this winter I have got by with a vest and a heavy Duluth shirt-jacket over it.
I almost never wear coveralls as I find them restrictive and too hot when I am walking or doing any work.
I have a heavy Carhartt type coat for when it is below 20 degrees and windy. In single figures I may put on some bibs over my jeans.
With the heater in the truck and a fire in the house, I am hardly ever cold.
Some of my best winter coats have been those retired from wearing on Sunday to church. They are light and warm.
I wear a cap, more to cover my unruly balding head than for its warmth.
17 degrees here this morning and still cold after noon, vest and shirt-jac was all I needed.
I do not think the cows would recognize me if my attire was not a little thread bare and mud stained.

Been shaving my head since I was in the Army. Feels funny to even walk outside without something on my head. Ball cap, cowboy, winter knit. Gets cold up there without.

Haven't went beyond fleece lined pants yet but have considered bibs.

I wear lined pants from December to March. Coveralls burn me up unless it's single digits. I have some bibs that I'm going to try this year.

Above 40 I'm in a t-shirt and hoodie. Below 40 I put a carhart jacket atop the Hoodie til I break a sweat, then off comes the jacket.

I've got plenty of hair so usually wear a cap. If it gets Below freezing I wear a toboggan/beanie til I start sweating. They sure can get you hot.

I have trouble getting it right this time of year. With the swings of weather it's hard to get use to the cold.

I must be a lizard! 35-45 degrees I'm wearing a fleece long undie top under a sweatshirt and Carhartt parka with a Cabela's lined hat, waterproof ski gloves, neck gator, insulated socks and LaCrosse insulated muck boots. Anything below 35 and I'm sporting Carhartt insulated bibs as well. When it gets to the teens and below, I have a dang Balaclava full head/face/neck thingy. Which is sometimes counterproductive if it's cold enough I have a steady stream of snot.

Mr. TC has an epic weight hunting parka/pants but he generally only needs a medium weight Carhartt, Duluth or Whitetail Outfitters coat (because he's inside the HEATED tractor and rarely exposed to the elements).

Wrangler jeans, if it gets down into single digits long under wear bottoms. A pearl snap shirt, I have 3 weights of hooded sweat shirts. Above 40 the light hoody. Below about 12 the heavy sweat shirt. Mid weight in between. Two different Carhart coats. The lighter one 40 to mid teens. The heavier on below that. A ball cap most of the time. Hood up to keep the ears warm at least to start the day. Once it hits single digits I have a Stormy Kromer rancher model hat. At that point I probably add a silk wildrag around the neck.

I must be a lizard! 35-45 degrees I'm wearing a fleece long undie top under a sweatshirt and Carhartt parka with a Cabela's lined hat, waterproof ski gloves, neck gator, insulated socks and LaCrosse insulated muck boots. Anything below 35 and I'm sporting Carhartt insulated bibs as well. When it gets to the teens and below, I have a dang Balaclava full head/face/neck thingy. Which is sometimes counterproductive if it's cold enough I have a steady stream of snot.

Mr. TC has an epic weight hunting parka/pants but he generally only needs a medium weight Carhartt, Duluth or Whitetail Outfitters coat (because he's inside the HEATED tractor and rarely exposed to the elements).
Not surprising, judging from your pictures you can't be much over a buck o' five!

I have a neighbor who was burning leaves, with his worn Carhartt bibs. The duck fabric caught fire. It burned very quickly. 3rd degree burns to his legs. Luckily he was close to a creek with water. I used a lighter on my old, faded bibs. Less than a minute and they were fully engulfed. Holy smoke! Absolutely amazed me how fast. I guess I will trade them out a little sooner with the welding, grinding and such.

I have to admit, I have a lot of jackets. From brush jackets, to camo both heavy and light, water proof heavy and light, orange for quail hunting, wind proof, FR, wal-mart hoodies in 3 colors, nice jackets, partial zips... it's insane. LoL

One of my favorites right now is a Wrangler hoodie I got at Wal-Mart for like maybe $50. It is water resistant with a liner. I've been in like 30ish degrees with wind chill in the upper 20s and was snug as a bug in a rug. It's easy to move and work in for how warm it is.

Light windbreaker type jacket ( current go to is a Carhartt Full Swing) over a long sleeve shirt, down to just the shirt if I am doing much at all. Get below 30 and I add a wool vest and a wildrag. Always got a hat on since I can remember, more likely to catch me without pants than a without a hat. Probably only wear what most on here would call a winter jacket about once a year.