Winter jackets

Help Support CattleToday:

Not a problem here its 12 degrees C (53 F) most days at the moment I've had to take my jacket off which has a broken zip and wont do up properly off sometimes when working with the cattle, but I do need a good new jacket sometime though and find I have to look to the american brands for that.

Seems like most coats come with no poppers on the front just a zip which is no good for me as zips fail after three or four years and I like to buy things that last longer than that!

I wear an insulated Carhart coat with an insulated vest with a scotch cap. The coat is getting pretty ratty, bought a new one this fall as it was on sale, but have only worn it twice so far for mostly when going out of town. I don't want anyone thinking I'm some ole bum that just got off the nine o'clock freight. Besides there is still some good in it, got to get all the good out of it. I have some thinsulate long johns that I sometime wear if it is really cold out, and I plan on being out in it for a long time. I did buy some insulated bibs, but have only worn then a handful of times. If it's not to cold I just wear a jean jacket; it's not looking so good anymore either. I used to have one of those hoodies, but my ex wife decided I didn't need anymore and tossed it. Beside I had hoods on my coat; my new coat came with a detachable hood, that was the first thing to go.

I did too, and those are some high-dollar coats!
They probably think you can afford more for them in the US. One of our mining magnates has just bought the company, Gina Rheinhart or Twiggy Forest I forget, they seem to be going head to head buying these clothing companies like R M Williams. My genuine 3/4 length Drizabone I bought about 10 years ago 2nd hand on ebay and didn't pay much for it. I have another immitation one that is still good quality that my daughter got for me free from the saddlery she works at as it had a small tear on the sleeve that was easily repaired. They are good as they are double breasted with press studs rather than zippers. In winter I wear military pullovers that are high %age merino wool and then in the mornings a coat or jacket over the top traps the air in the wool. I only wear the Drizabone on the windy mornings and when there is drizzly rain, it seals things in very well.

Ken

Years ago, friend who was in the military gave me an old army field jacket with a quilted button-in liner…that's my go-to when it gets cold here…keeps the wind out pretty good

Years ago, friend who was in the military gave me an old army field jacket with a quilted button-in liner…that's my go-to when it gets cold here…keeps the wind out pretty good
I still have mine from when I was in the National Guard, but I had to turn in the liner when I got out. I have not had it on in years, it may not fit anymore.

A Drizabone.

Ken
You can get them in Oz? I had one 45 years ago that Dad gave me because it was too stiff fo him. Lasted years.

I wear long underwear bottoms 11 months of the year. Wool over pants from mid October to late May although warm days they are left behind. Top is a tee shirt, flannel shirt, lined vest, lined Carhart coat, silk scarf and a lined cap with ear flaps. Wool pants will last me 2 winters, the only pair of Carhart bibs I owned lasted 4 months.
Had a macroadenoma removed in July 2015. Messed up my thyroid and my thermostat. I can be cold when it is hot and then way too hot. Would rather be taking layers off than wishing I had brought more.