Trying to prepare for winter

Help Support CattleToday:

We don't have the severe winters here that many of you have but still have the 4 distinct seasons, mine calve starting the 2nd month of our winter. I find that they are the size that can make the best use of the new feed when it starts in spring and then get full use of it all summer.

Ken

We don't have the severe winters here that many of you have but still have the 4 distinct seasons, mine calve starting the 2nd month of our winter. I find that they are the size that can make the best use of the new feed when it starts in spring and then get full use of it all summer.

Ken
Most years we have almost winter, winter, still winter and construction.

Here most people get to go to the BLM in mid to late April. Calves need to be branded before going to the hills. They start calving now so they are done by early April.

I calf out a few cows in Feb, main herd in March.. Honestly I've had as much or more miserable weather in March, there's mud, rain, etc and straw is hard to come by here, and no amount of straw will suck up the rivers of water, at least the bedding stays pretty clean when it's cold.. teats are clean, etc.
The sun clears the mountain to our west starting early march, that really makes a big difference for the little ones, if we have any sun.
Here's Wednesdays baby "Klaus".. he looks pretty comfy
View attachment 12907

and the December baby Zima, she's going to be soooo happy for a playmate.. Yesterday I was giving Grandma attention, and she was just beating my legs up, running around me, through my legs if possible.. the jealousy is strong with that one!
View attachment 12908
I still think you should keep Zimba. Just sayin . . .

Whoever mentioned wearing a toboggan first I thought was confused. Sorry. I have only heard it mean a sled.
Why do so many of you calve in the winter?
"Winter" and "Spring" are subjective because Mother Nature is absolutely unpredictable. We used to start calving in late Jan/early Feb but I moved it back to late Feb/early March. When you calve is generally contingent on geography, how your operation is set up, what the market dictates and whether you have a defined calving season.

A lot of operations that see brutal cold have the facilities to calve them out inside well-constructed barns. Those that are hit with an unexpected vortex (like the last 2 years in my neck of the woods) just have to be prepared & do the best they can. Delaying calving until March/April generally misses the cold, but there's the rain/mud/slop to deal with. I've had winter, spring, summer & fall calves. In spite of the weather, my late winter/spring calves have always done the best.

Went from 56 at 2 a.m. down to 32 by 5 p.m. and 22 overnight. Was a sunny but cold day up to 35... felt really cold. We try to start calving around Mar 10-15th so that calves are 6-8 weeks when we turn them out to pastures in late April-early May. Bulls go in by the end of May. With the unpredictable late winter/early spring weather in March, there is no good time to calve anymore. Trying to get a little tighter calving time this next year.... but it is hard to get bulls out of some of the pastures so we seldom can shorten the spring season... going to cut off the fall calving cows to calve by Dec 15th by getting the bulls out of the fields around the first of March this year.

Latest posts