Trying to prepare for winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah Graybeard those work very well. I have a thermal one somewhere that somebody gave me. I should of wore it today. My hood of the Carhartt blew back while I was cutting the net wrap off a frozen bale. I didn't think much about it as I had a boggin on under it. Of course when I did pull it back on, it dumped sleet right down the inside of my jacket and also down the back of my shirt. A flopped back hood acts like a bucket in a sleet storm.

If that goofy groundhog is right, I may not have enough hay.

we got freezing rain a week ago.. you know what's worse than 6"of snow on ice? 1/4" of snow!! you have no idea what you're stepping on, you hit a slick spot and you're on your arse... I landed on my shoulder and I'm feeling it.. we had about 6" of snow that didn't melt,some rain into it, then froze, it was about 15F and the cows could nearly walk on top of the snow... Of course it's a perfect day for a heifer to have a calf.. 16 days before due and neither is too bright, but I got them going now

IMG_20220202_140913_640.jpg

we got freezing rain a week ago.. you know what's worse than 6"of snow on ice? 1/4" of snow!! you have no idea what you're stepping on, you hit a slick spot and you're on your arse... I landed on my shoulder and I'm feeling it.. we had about 6" of snow that didn't melt,some rain into it, then froze, it was about 15F and the cows could nearly walk on top of the snow... Of course it's a perfect day for a heifer to have a calf.. 16 days before due and neither is too bright, but I got them going now

View attachment 12824
I'm glad it turned out okay for momma and baby, I thought it would be a couple of months early for you to be calving.
I imagine the calf thinking "what just happened, I was so warm just a moment ago"

I have a good neighbor.

I put out extra hay on Tuesday, knowing Wednesday would be bad. Thursday was bad too. 10 to 20 mph winds blowing ice pellets. The ground is covered with it. Yesterday about 3 my neighbor called and asked if I wanted him to put out my hay. He has a nice cab tractor. Dumbest thing I have done here on the farm was to buy a open station tractor.

I put on my toboggin and put out hay.

It is good to know I have a good neighbor.

So I think I understand now why it is you southern folks have a hard time with cooler temperatures. A toboggan will not provide any insulating value whatsoever, and I can only imagine how awkward it would be to try to wear one.
View attachment 12822
I didn't know until a few years ago that a toboggan could also mean a sled, when a yankee that worked for me told me. I was talking about wearing my toboggan and he says "you're going to wear a sled?" I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. We never had weather appropriate to own a sled other than one you pulled around behind the 4 wheeler when it snowed which sometimes was a car hood.

I didn't know until a few years ago that a toboggan could also mean a sled, when a yankee that worked for me told me. I was talking about wearing my toboggan and he says "you're going to wear a sled?" I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. We never had weather appropriate to own a sled other than one you pulled around behind the 4 wheeler when it snowed which sometimes was a car hood.
Same!
But opposite. Until just recently when this thread explained it. 😆

Been playing in the snow a bit. Tried to pull a neighbor out. Got stuck myself.
I told myself, now self this ain't gonna work. Did it anyway. Fortunately another good neighbor drives the grader....
20220204_075016.jpg
Bessie and Ellie Moo are still holding tight! I put plenty of hay out. Sunshine today. I told them, you may proceed now....

Same!

I told myself, now self this ain't gonna work. Did it anyway. Fortunately another good neighbor drives the grader....
View attachment 12843
Bessie and Ellie Moo are still holding tight! I put plenty of hay out. Sunshine today. I told them, you may proceed now....
Y'all got a pretty good snow looks like, we got mostly sleat. I'm just glad we didn't get freezing rain. I got the generator running just in case and bought extra fuel for it.

Same!

View attachment 12843
My heifer let go last night-missed the blessed event within the span of two one hour checks. Little tyke didn't want to get out of its warm nest this morning, but mama woke her (?) up quite well.